Community Forum

Dilution double check

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Dilution double check

Post by BlackOak2 »

I think I have this horse colored wrong.

I have her marked with champagne + cream + pearl on black.
But I think that's wrong. She has dark eyes, so is she one champagne and one cream on black? No pearl?
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Dilution double check

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:I think I have this horse colored wrong.

I have her marked with champagne + cream + pearl on black.
But I think that's wrong. She has dark eyes, so is she one champagne and one cream on black? No pearl?
The varnish makes it rather hard to tell. She did have blue eyes at birth so it's possible she's actually double cream on classic. I also can't see any source for pearl in her sire's pedigree, and he mother can't have it. She looks too light to me to be a single dilute, so I'd say she's classic smokey cream.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
The varnish makes it rather hard to tell. She did have blue eyes at birth so it's possible she's actually double cream on classic. I also can't see any source for pearl in her sire's pedigree, and he mother can't have it. She looks too light to me to be a single dilute, so I'd say she's classic smokey cream.
She did appear to me to be too light for single dilute as well, that's why I had her as cream/pearl on champagne. But if she were to be that, or a double cream, she should still have blue eyes.
Champagne doesn't overrule the blue eyes of a double dilute, does it?
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: She did appear to me to be too light for single dilute as well, that's why I had her as cream/pearl on champagne. But if she were to be that, or a double cream, she should still have blue eyes.
Champagne doesn't overrule the blue eyes of a double dilute, does it?
Champagne won't, but tiger eye (especially with champagne) and the leopard complex can both affect eye color.

This horse is from Totina's guide. It's a perlino champagne with a single tiger eye:

It's not as dark as your girl, but I've seen leopard complex darken the eyes. I'm digging through my herd right now to see if I can find an example.

Of course I could be wrong. I have been gone for a bit. :lol:

My reasoning for ruling out pearl: Her dam can't have it - the dam is palomino so it has nowhere to hide. I am 95% sure her sire can't have it either. His dam is an AC Belgian, and (unless things have changed) AC Belgians do not carry pearl. His dam also does not have cream. So it's impossible for him to be a pearl/cream dilute, making his only possible dilution a single cream from his sire. Therefore the only dilutions your girl could have inherited were the creams from her parents. Again, it's definitely possible I went wrong somewhere but that's how I reasoned it out.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Champagne won't, but tiger eye (especially with champagne) and the leopard complex can both affect eye color.

This horse is from Totina's guide. It's a perlino champagne with a single tiger eye:

It's not as dark as your girl, but I've seen leopard complex darken the eyes. I'm digging through my herd right now to see if I can find an example.

Of course I could be wrong. I have been gone for a bit. :lol:

My reasoning for ruling out pearl: Her dam can't have it - the dam is palomino so it has nowhere to hide. I am 95% sure her sire can't have it either. His dam is an AC Belgian, and (unless things have changed) AC Belgians do not carry pearl. His dam also does not have cream. So it's impossible for him to be a pearl/cream dilute, making his only possible dilution a single cream from his sire. Therefore the only dilutions your girl could have inherited were the creams from her parents. Again, it's definitely possible I went wrong somewhere but that's how I reasoned it out.
I am now convinced she's not a pearl carrier. But her color is just so light for a single cream on champagne.
If you're correct that Lp can darken eyes, then that certainly would explain it.

She's throwing me for a loop for certain.
Oh... I just thought of something. She could be heavily affected by pangare. Some of the pangare's I've thrown have actually looked like dilutes.

I think I'll give up. I'm using her for quests anyway and she won't be sticking around after I get the poitevin I'm looking for.
At the very least she's a champagne.

Thank You!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 10:29 am

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:29 am