Community Forum

Too many dilutes

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Too many dilutes

Post by Tjigra »

Alfredo C
Coming from two mostly white parents, both supposed to be cremello, dam with added champagne, I'd say Alfredo is cremello champagne too, but - he looks darker than either of the parents. The mottled nose makes me think he does have champagne, but the rest looks more like perlino to me, but - there is nowhere to get perlino from, as both parents are chestnut based (well, at least the sire is, as his parents are both palomino, hard to say about dam, as she comes from a line of mostly white horses).
So what is that colour? I know the spotted part, but the rest leaves me baffled.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Too many dilutes

Post by Silverine »

Tjigra wrote:Alfredo C
Coming from two mostly white parents, both supposed to be cremello, dam with added champagne, I'd say Alfredo is cremello champagne too, but - he looks darker than either of the parents. The mottled nose makes me think he does have champagne, but the rest looks more like perlino to me, but - there is nowhere to get perlino from, as both parents are chestnut based (well, at least the sire is, as his parents are both palomino, hard to say about dam, as she comes from a line of mostly white horses).
So what is that colour? I know the spotted part, but the rest leaves me baffled.
Looks like Silver Perlino Champagne to me. You are correct that the mottled muzzle indicates champagne. If you look at his dam's baby picture, she has a very clear silver mane against a yellow-ish body color. Her very light legs make me think she's black-based rather than bay- or brown-based. She has to black, brown, or bay rather than chestnut in order for the silver to show. Her being black-based is supported by her sire being a silver smokey black under his grey. Her dam is also silver and black based on her baby picture.

So your boy's dam threw an E and an a while his sire threw an e (all he could throw) and an A, making your boy heterozygous black (Ee) and heterozygous bay (Aa). Then we know he got silver from his dam, and possibly his sire too since we wouldn't be able to see silver on the sire even if he does have it (his maternal granddam has visible silver so it's entirely possible he carries it). And finally one or both of them threw champagne. Since your boy has a blanket pattern rather than a snowcap we know that he only has one copy of the Lp gene. So in the end we get:
Aa Ee CrCr Ch? Z? dd Lplp - aka Silver Perlino Champagne (with Blanket, or Extended Blanket, whichever you prefer)
(Flaxen and Pangare not listed because they are unknown.)
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Thanks! However, I don't think Adonis has champagne as he doesn't have the mottled muzzle - he must be just cremello. His parents also don't look champagne.
All that would make Future Ruler what? Smokey Cream Silver Champagne?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Tjigra wrote:Thanks! However, I don't think Adonis has champagne as he doesn't have the mottled muzzle - he must be just cremello. His parents also don't look champagne.
All that would make Future Ruler what? Smokey Cream Silver Champagne?
Ah, you're right, he doesn't have it. I didn't pay enough attention to him apparently. XD And yes, Future Ruler would be Silver Smokey Cream Champagne.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Back to the same mare and two other of her foals.
Here is Grafe C

And here is Dafra C

I am pretty sure Dafra is brown with silver, one cream and one appaloosa gene (silver smokey brown blanket?) That must mean sire is not only sooty bay, but also carries brown (A/at?).
Now Grafe has me much more puzzled. Her sire is seal brown with no apparent dilutions. Grafe is so light I would have though she's a cremello, except the dark eyes, but she can't be. Apparently she has one cream and one champagne, and to my knowledge that is not enough to make her this light. And are these zebra bars I see on her legs? Where on Earth did dun came from? Graffiti has a chestnut parent, so he is definitely E/e, and could have passed the e onto the foal. I am really not sure about Ruler. And basically, I have no idea what colour Grafe is, can't even guess :D
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

And now that I've seen the study in dun topic and took a closer look at Dafra, I think she must also be dun.
So silver smokey brown dun blanket? And the dam, Ruler, obviously is dun as well?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Tjigra wrote:And now that I've seen the study in dun topic and took a closer look at Dafra, I think she must also be dun.
So silver smokey brown dun blanket? And the dam, Ruler, obviously is dun as well?
You are correct, both the foals have dun. Looking at both studs, since neither of them have dun, that only leaves the mare as the dun carrier (and that's one of the reasons I don't add such dilutions to the study, some are so hidden, only breeding can reveal certain genes).

The dam has silver, two creams and champagne that she can pass on (as well as the dun) and perhaps even pangare (her filly Dafra C has a curious shading to her flank skin that may... MAY... be pangare). Neither stud has pangare. That aside (because pangare is a pain and tends to hide sometimes too easily with brown), Dafra is a silver smoky brown dun. She did not inherit champagne and the tiger eye (only one gene) will be hidden. You won't know if she carries it, unless she throws it.

Grafe C, on the other hand, inherited champagne, and... well, my first reaction is cream and pearl (from the sire), however... the only way to have dark eyes on pink skin, is double pearl. Silverine and I were just discussing how eyes maybe can darken by obscure or rare interactions related to leopard complex and champagne (or cream, or pearl). Grafe is a snowflake horse, so she has one Lp gene.
So I'm unsure of what genes to attribute to her beyond champagne and probably silver on what can (or should) only be brown. Of course there could be hidden flaxen, which means she's chestnut.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

One more thing I hadn't though about before.
As Grafe is double cream looking, but has dark eyes, that should mean she isn't cream, but actually double pearl. Is cream and pearl inherited separately here, or on the same locus? If it's the same locus, that would mean that the mare, Ruler, is not a smokey cream, but smokey pearl instead? (does one cream + one pearl also give blue eyes like double cream?)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Tjigra wrote:One more thing I hadn't though about before.
As Grafe is double cream looking, but has dark eyes, that should mean she isn't cream, but actually double pearl. Is cream and pearl inherited separately here, or on the same locus? If it's the same locus, that would mean that the mare, Ruler, is not a smokey cream, but smokey pearl instead? (does one cream + one pearl also give blue eyes like double cream?)
Same locus.

I've played other games where it's handled as two separate genes as well, so it was a short learning curve to realize that although I could get a double cream, I could not have a double cream that was also double pearl.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am