Community Forum

Confusing colour

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Confusing colour

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

I have a new Lipizzaner colt and he has a strange coat colour
The foal: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1215068

I first said he was classic champagne though he appears to be flaxen and as far as I know classic champagne has a similar mane to coat colour
He has freckles too so he should be champagne and has the tiger eye gene as well

This part American Saddlebred has a quite unusual colour too silver red dun roan?
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1213183

Also this Trakehner colt has a strange colour
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1215161
Last edited by LlamaLlama99 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Re: Confusing colour

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

I also have this one who I pegged silver sooty dunalino though I am not sure

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1178620
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

LlamaLlama99 wrote:

This colt is Gold Cream: chestnut + 1x cream + champagne. His coat is much too yellow to be black-based. His mother is actually Silver Amber Cream (bay + 1x cream + champagne + silver) under grey, not classic champagne. If you look at her fetlocks, especially in her 1-year-old picture, there is a distinct color difference - her fetlocks are light grey were the rest of her is creamy. This is a clear indicator of a bay-based coat.

This colt is Silver Zebra Dun Roan: bay + dun + roan + silver. Again, if you look at his fetlocks there is a distinct color difference with the rest of his body - the fetlocks are black whereas the rest of his body is reddish. The lightness of his body is a combination effect roan and dun. The roan is indicated by the white flecking - if the lightness was only caused by dun there would be no white flecks. He also has plenty of dun indicators - the faded areas on his fetlocks as well as stripes on his neck and a dorsal stripe. The silver is indicated by his fetlocks, mane, tail, and feathers. His fetlocks, rather than being the true black of an undiluted bay, are more chocolate-y and his mane, tail, and feathers are silver in color. His mother, rather than being grey, is actually Smoky Silver Grulla (black + 1x cream + dun + silver).

This colt is more difficult to tell because he is still so young and does not have a lot of adult indicators yet. My first instinct is that he is Smoky Brown: brown + 1x cream. His dam's color is correctly labeled, but his sire's is not. His sire is actually Silver Smoky Cream (black + 2x cream + silver). So I would say that your boy inherited brown from his mother and one of his dad's creams.

This mare is a very sooty Palomino (chestnut + 1 x cream).
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

Thanks! I was having a hard time figuring out!
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

One thing though about the American saddle breds mare shouldn’t she be silver dapple grulla cause she has dapples?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

LlamaLlama99 wrote:One thing though about the American saddle breds mare shouldn’t she be silver dapple grulla cause she has dapples?
Silver and silver dapple are two names for the same thing, just that it's usually only called silver dapple on a black-based coat.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 am