Community Forum

A few I am not very sure about

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

A few I am not very sure about

Post by Tjigra »

I have a few new horses I am not completely sure as to what their colours really are.
Amara C

Do I correctly assume she is Grulla Roan?

Frozen Hunter C

Is that brown with silver, single cream and a blanket? He looks sort of too.. yellow :roll:

Rhaso C

I believe him to be Brown Roan, but when I look at him, I keep thinking that the parts untouched by roan are too brown, while they should be more black if he was brown?

Now a confusing pair of full brothers and their mother.
The mother:
Holly

I bought her because of the colour, but I am not very sure what the colour is. Brown with single cream, pangare and silver? Is pangare even visible on brown?
Now the brothers:
Saracen C

Looks just like Holly, only lighter and redder. Bay with silver and pangare, without cream? But he shouldn't be bay from two browns?
Siracus C

The other brother looks like he's just smokey brown. Right?
nyraeia
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: A few I am not very sure about

Post by nyraeia »

Tjigra wrote:Amara C

Do I correctly assume she is Grulla Roan?
Yep. Is probably also dun (because of the dorsal stripe).
Tjigra wrote:Frozen Hunter C

Is that brown with silver, single cream and a blanket? He looks sort of too.. yellow :roll:
I agree - silver smoky brown + blanket.
Tjigra wrote:Rhaso C

I believe him to be Brown Roan, but when I look at him, I keep thinking that the parts untouched by roan are too brown, while they should be more black if he was brown?
Looks like a brown roan with snowflakes to me. If you look at his earlier pictures, his legs were black at some point. The lightening is caused by varnishing.
Tjigra wrote:Holly

I bought her because of the colour, but I am not very sure what the colour is. Brown with single cream, pangare and silver? Is pangare even visible on brown?
Well ... she's weird, haha. I'm pretty sure she's also a smoky brown. Can't be silver because her parents are both black based and it would have to have shown on one of them.
I think she may be a very dark flaxen chestnut with pangaré! Her mane/tail as a foal were definitely red.
Tjigra wrote:Saracen C

Looks just like Holly, only lighter and redder. Bay with silver and pangare, without cream? But he shouldn't be bay from two browns?
Also flaxen chestnut with pangaré, I'd say.
Tjigra wrote:Siracus C

The other brother looks like he's just smokey brown. Right?
I can't find any cream in his more recent ancestors - he may be brown and just have inherited Holly's exceptionally light pangaré.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Thanks! It hadn't even crossed my mind that Holly can be chestnut. But yes, you're right, silver would show itself on either of her parents, so she can't be silver, and I can't think of another way for her to get light mane and tail than flaxen on chestnut (cream wouldn't make her so red in her newborn picture). Too bad there are no pictures of her between newborn and 13 years old. Can she also be an interesting case of sooty?
And if Holly isn't cream, the Siracus can't have cream either (unless Sultan hides it? But his youngster pictures look just regular brown to me, although with very pronounced baby pangare too).
(I was about to sell one of the brothers, but now I definitely want to keep them to see how that colour progresses with age. And going to breed Holly to my slightly flaxen dark chestnut stud - should be a guaranteed flaxen if Holly is indeed a flaxen chestnut.)

(And yes, I know Amara is dun - grulla kinda presumes that :D And thanks for pointing out Rhaso's snowflakes - hadn't noticed these. Makes sense now that he is browning out.)
nyraeia
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by nyraeia »

Tjigra wrote:And yes, I know Amara is dun - grulla kinda presumes that :D)
Yeah, sorry, you're right. I derped there for a minute. :mrgreen:

Edit: Sorry, not sure about the sooty - I haven't got a lot of experience there.
If you go back Holly's line, Sacred Tower is the only one that appears cream-y.

But his parents aren't, so that's where I got the pangaré from.
Certainly interesting.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

I'd say Sacred Tower is pretty much a carbon copy of his sire, Watch Tower, at least colour-wise. That's where the line ends, though, because his parents are a regular seal brown and what looks like a very dark mealy bay (there is only a head shot of the mare as adult, foal picture looks a bit brown-ish to me though, Watch Tower is just a shade darker than her as a newborn). Anyway, Sacred Tower's dam is chestnut based (red dun?), so he definitely is E/e.
On the dam side the first chestnut appears 4 generations back, and the first flaxen - 7 generations back. She is, however, inbred on those strange creamy-without-cream browns on both sides, because on the damside Watch Tower appears again, at least twice. And there are some gorgeous sooty horses as well. The only flaxen on the damside is a line that does not repeat on the sire side, and there are no other flaxens for at least the same number of generations there, so wow, this is some incredible combination. And I was completely awed by all the beautifully strange colours I saw there while looking for flaxen chestnuts :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 13, 2024 6:14 pm

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:14 pm