Community Forum

Denial of Graying...

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Denial of Graying...

Post by Kingsley »

Seriously I'm so in denial this foal I wanted to keep is actually graying and I gotta rehome him and try to get a properly colored foal out of his hetero gray father again. Again. -flails- But he's definitely got the goggles, hasn't he? Siiiiigh. Anyone need a gray draft colt?

CP Volcanic Island
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Re: Denial of Graying...

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

Kingsley wrote:Seriously I'm so in denial this foal I wanted to keep is actually graying and I gotta rehome him and try to get a properly colored foal out of his hetero gray father again. Again. -flails- But he's definitely got the goggles, hasn't he? Siiiiigh. Anyone need a gray draft colt?

CP Volcanic Island
Im not completely sure but I think the goggles should be pangaré because greying shows at 6 months old and his foal pangaré seemed to have stayed. An example of a greying horse 0 years to 0.5 years-
Grey Horse at birth (not displaying any signs of greying)
Greying Displayed at 6 months old
And then comparing your foal-
CP Volcanic Island at birth
Your foal at 0.71 years old. Doesn't seem to be greying.
His goggles seem too beige coloured to be grey. He also still has quite heavy pangaré on his body and it should be disappearing by his age. He has pangaré on his dam's side and sire's too. His maternal granddam (Amber) is pangaré palomino and he could've inherited pangaré from his sire who is greying gold champagne pangaré. So that proves that there is a possibility of a pangaré foal. I would say Pangaré rather than grey I am not 100% sure though! The world of horse genetics is very vast and can be confusing and misleading! Hope this helps a bit :D Any horse geneticists willing to expand?
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

LlamaLlama99 wrote:
Kingsley wrote:Seriously I'm so in denial this foal I wanted to keep is actually graying and I gotta rehome him and try to get a properly colored foal out of his hetero gray father again. Again. -flails- But he's definitely got the goggles, hasn't he? Siiiiigh. Anyone need a gray draft colt?

CP Volcanic Island
Im not completely sure but I think the goggles should be pangaré because greying shows at 6 months old and his foal pangaré seemed to have stayed. An example of a greying horse 0 years to 0.5 years-
His goggles seem too beige coloured to be grey. He also still has quite heavy pangaré on his body and it should be disappearing by his age. He has pangaré on his dam's side and sire's too. His maternal granddam (Amber) is pangaré palomino and he could've inherited pangaré from his sire who is greying gold champagne pangaré. So that proves that there is a possibility of a pangaré foal. I would say Pangaré rather than grey I am not 100% sure though! The world of horse genetics is very vast and can be confusing and misleading! Hope this helps a bit :D Any horse geneticists willing to expand?

Actually hyperpigmentation is a sign of grey...
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

texí wrote:
LlamaLlama99 wrote: Im not completely sure but I think the goggles should be pangaré because greying shows at 6 months old and his foal pangaré seemed to have stayed. An example of a greying horse 0 years to 0.5 years-

Actually hyperpigmentation is a sign of grey...
Cool didn't know that. Though I did not state that he was too dark I don't think.
Stormchase Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Stormchase Stables »

CP Volcanic Island
Horses that gray are usually born the color they should be as adults if they don't gray out, unless your horse is descended from very mealy horses.
I think there's a chance he might not gray out.
Edit: His sire was the exact same as a newborn, unfortunately Volcanic Island is most likely going to gray out, you were right.
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Post by Kingsley »

Thanks, everyone. I rehomed him. Hopefully I can get a nicer foal from that sire. :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 2:52 pm

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:52 pm