Community Forum

Unusual and Confusing Colors

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Unusual and Confusing Colors

Post by Kingsley »

Okay so I've got a series of interesting colors I should probably get added to the color dropbox lol. As is, here's my round up and best guesses.

CP Silver Mount

Gold champagne pangare x silver bay = classic champagne silver dapple.

Cinderella

Graying black (maybe smoky black?) x perlino (?) = graying perlino? Strangely her foal seems to be grullo, so I'm a bit confused (especially since she was bred to a sooty chestnut stallion).

Her foal: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1299341

CP Ivory Hope

Chestnut dun roan x gold ivory champagne = gold ivory champagne roan?
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Unusual and Confusing Colors

Post by Silverine »

Kingsley wrote:
Yes, the first horse is Classic Silver. The second is Gray over Perlino Dun - the dun is very hard to see, best noted along her fetlocks in her 1- and 2-year-old pictures. It comes from her dam, who had the same thing and got it from her sire who had very lightly expressed dun on his buckskin. The third is Gold Cream Roan. I'm not sure where they're getting the 'ivory' term. Chestnut + cream + champagne (which is what this colt and his dam are) is gold cream. I doubt he has dun. If he does it is ridiculously light.

As to the gray perlino dun mare having a grullo foal - it's actually smoky grullo. He got one cream from mom, which won't show on his adult coat but is making his foal coat more blue-ish black rather than red-ish black. He also got dun from mom. Mom is carrying a hidden black gene (having a black-based foal means she has to carry it, and it makes sense as she also has a black parent), and the chestnut has to be carrying a black gene under his red. So baby got an a, an E+, a D, and a Cr from mom, and an a, an e, a d+, and an n from dad, making him: a/a, E+/e, D/d+, Cr/n.
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Re: Unusual and Confusing Colors

Post by Kingsley »

Silverine wrote:
Kingsley wrote:
Yes, the first horse is Classic Silver. The second is Gray over Perlino Dun - the dun is very hard to see, best noted along her fetlocks in her 1- and 2-year-old pictures. It comes from her dam, who had the same thing and got it from her sire who had very lightly expressed dun on his buckskin. The third is Gold Cream Roan. I'm not sure where they're getting the 'ivory' term. Chestnut + cream + champagne (which is what this colt and his dam are) is gold cream. I doubt he has dun. If he does it is ridiculously light.

As to the gray perlino dun mare having a grullo foal - it's actually smoky grullo. He got one cream from mom, which won't show on his adult coat but is making his foal coat more blue-ish black rather than red-ish black. He also got dun from mom. Mom is carrying a hidden black gene (having a black-based foal means she has to carry it, and it makes sense as she also has a black parent), and the chestnut has to be carrying a black gene under his red. So baby got an a, an E+, a D, and a Cr from mom, and an a, an e, a d+, and an n from dad, making him: a/a, E+/e, D/d+, Cr/n.
Thanks so much. Where I live, some people call champagne + cream "ivory". I'll update it to gold cream, classic cream, amber cream, etc. instead for ease of understanding. ^^ Also lol duh on the perlino having a smoky foal. Smh. Obvious mistake on my part there. I'm clearly in the middle of a health problem lol. Hopefully my brain will be better online soon. <3 Thank you tons.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 9:26 pm

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:26 pm