Community Forum

Reverse bay

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Reverse bay

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote: ...
Very insightful (at least for me), and I understand it well.
As far as dun, I haven't found an actual dun release topic. As far as I know, it's only a straight dun, no dun and the actual appearance is handled the same way all of our other colors are, some are darker, some are lighter before being affected by sooty.
However, since we're all aware of how our admins have been programming the colors and genes for the others so far, I suppose it depends on when the recent discovery for the dun gene was published. If it was published after admin introduced dun, then I don't think it was changed after being added, however... if the game was introduced to dun after the dun discovery was published... then I suppose I will have to update my personal notes! :D
I haven't really noticed a difference between 'types' of duns... If it's possible, I'll have to do some of my own research to see what the publication says.

I wonder if admin is willing to comment on which dun coding they may have used?

I'm curious to the behind the scenes myself... but I'm sure I'll get lost pretty quick! Hah! :lol:
Agreed, and I had no idea as I'm still figuring out a way to get the payment methode to subscibe to the patreon ^^' The second method sounds most likely and the pushing of space is close to what I tried to ask with my question - so it could potentially make sense that the addition of To leads/led to some corrupted data?

Also the issue with the dun would be interesting to know, there seem to be some cases of very very faint 'duns' that make identifing it sometimes very hard... it would be interesting to know if the publication was before or after the dun addition to the game.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Nazarach wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
This article has some really interesting info on dun. It was posted in December of 2015.

Here are some excerpts. (Emphasis mine.)
Dun is a wild-type coat color in horses characterized by pigment dilution with a striking pattern of dark areas termed primitive markings. Here we show that pigment dilution in Dun horses is due to radially asymmetric deposition of pigment in the growing hair caused by localized expression of the T-box 3 (TBX3) transcription factor in hair follicles, which in turn determines the distribution of hair follicle melanocytes. Most domestic horses are non-dun, a more intensely pigmented phenotype caused by regulatory mutations impairing TBX3 expression in the hair follicle, resulting in a more circumferential distribution of melanocytes and pigment granules in individual hairs. We identified two different alleles (non-dun1 and non-dun2) causing non-dun color. non-dun2 is a recently derived allele, whereas the Dun and non-dun1 alleles are found in ancient horse DNA, demonstrating that this polymorphism predates horse domestication. These findings uncover a new developmental role for T-box genes and new aspects of hair follicle biology and pigmentation.
Dun (D) is fully dominant over non-dun (d) (ref. 4). However, the corresponding phenotypes are sometimes misclassified because some non-dun horses exhibit faint primitive markings and may appear superficially similar to Dun horses, especially if mutations in other pigment dilution genes are present
It's a really interesting article and definitely worth a read.
larissar wrote:
Tom wrote:
Would you guys be willing to enlighten us as to which dun model was used? (D/d vs D/nd1/nd2) It's cool if not, I'm just super curious. :lol:
Tom
Admin
Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by Tom »

D/d
Larissa has been looking into it for a while now. No changes planned any time soon.
Scythian
Visit My Farm

Post by Scythian »

AkumaKashi Holding wrote: Sunburst Styles
FWIW, here's another Turkmene stallion. Started out as pictured, now his live appearance (click on the Profile link) is a conventional red chestnut. Foals I have bred from him are conventional chestnut, palomino, or red dun.

RedHair Midnight

Profile: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1469098
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Thank you, Tom, admin, for giving us a clear answer. So straight dun it is.

Those excerpts are extremely interesting to read. What I find most interesting is that the way they explain it, is almost to say that 'every' horse has dun, but it's negated by a gene that suppresses it. I know that's not what it says, but that is what it seems to come across as.
It's one massive write-up... I'll have to read it in parts. I wonder though, if the article says what the pseudo-dun markings come from?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Isn't that kind of what most genes are though? At least the on/off ones. You can look at it as either they're always on unless suppressed by the off coding, or they're always off unless activated by the on coding.

And yeah, it's super long. XD
AkumaKashi Holding
Visit My Farm

Post by AkumaKashi Holding »

I guess he wanted to go full red.
Sunburst Styles
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

AkumaKashi Holding wrote:I guess he wanted to go full red.
He did! Plus he's back to four white feet, although that one foot is really hard to see. Such a strange glitch...
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:17 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:17 am