The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What do you think?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

What do you think?

Post by Silverine »

I know this boy is double pearl with dun. I thought he was bay-based but now I'm not sure.

What do you think? Mealy bay pearl dun, or brown pearl dun?

Here's a close-up of his face:

And a non-dun brown pearl for reference:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: What do you think?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:I know this boy is double pearl with dun. I thought he was bay-based but now I'm not sure.

What do you think? Mealy bay pearl dun, or brown pearl dun?

Here's a close-up of his face:

And a non-dun brown pearl for reference:
I can see why you want to say bay, but I do see brown with pangare, as hard as it is, his profile looks different than his picture here. It's decently obvious to me here, but on his profile, he looks quite a bit like a bay. I'm blaming it on the combination of dun and pangare; those two genes when combined can really change horse coat colors into really strange combinations.

Also, I'm pretty sure the reference also has pangare, but I'm a little more hesitant on that one.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I can see why you want to say bay, but I do see brown with pangare, as hard as it is, his profile looks different than his picture here. It's decently obvious to me here, but on his profile, he looks quite a bit like a bay. I'm blaming it on the combination of dun and pangare; those two genes when combined can really change horse coat colors into really strange combinations.

Also, I'm pretty sure the reference also has pangare, but I'm a little more hesitant on that one.
So I was leaning toward brown, too, but after her first foal I'm not so sure.

She gave me this lovely little lady:

As I thought mom was brown-based I started with the assumption that the filly was sable pearl. But now that she's fully blown her foal coat (and as her lp effects aren't showing yet) she certainly looks more like an amber pearl.

What do you think?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
So I was leaning toward brown, too, but after her first foal I'm not so sure.

As I thought mom was brown-based I started with the assumption that the filly was sable pearl. But now that she's fully blown her foal coat (and as her lp effects aren't showing yet) she certainly looks more like an amber pearl.

What do you think?
She comes from two dark-haired parents. With light a light mane and tail, that tells me she's a chestnut. Wouldn't that be a gold pearl? Which would make sense to me. A single chestnut can certainly hide behind agouti. I'm really not sure. Dilutes aren't my strong suit, but her much brighter mane and tail (and the fact that she appears to have slightly lighter feet, not hooves, makes me want to say flaxen) really describes to me that she's red based. Although I also realize that a double dilute when paired with champagne will also make manes and tails lighter, but they'll still offer a slightly off-darker shading then the overall body, whereas red-based will be lighter.
So that's my conclusion.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:19 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:19 am