Community Forum

Chocolate Black?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Shadow Scar
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Chocolate Black?

Post by Shadow Scar »

She comes from a long line of black based belgians...born with a black coat and darkened like a normal black coat, however shes begun to lighten to more of a dark brown coat.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1823404
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Chocolate Black?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Shadow Scar wrote:She comes from a long line of black based belgians...born with a black coat and darkened like a normal black coat, however shes begun to lighten to more of a dark brown coat.
This is because of the Lp varnish and bronzing. She inherited the trait from her father and you can easily see the band of snowflakes around her front leg.
She will continue to change 'color' a bit as the bronzing comes and goes and also as she continues to varnish as she ages.
She also appears to be a single cream carrier, but I'm uncertain on that.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Chocolate Black?

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Shadow Scar wrote:She comes from a long line of black based belgians...born with a black coat and darkened like a normal black coat, however shes begun to lighten to more of a dark brown coat.
This is because of the Lp varnish and bronzing. She inherited the trait from her father and you can easily see the band of snowflakes around her front leg.
She will continue to change 'color' a bit as the bronzing comes and goes and also as she continues to varnish as she ages.
She also appears to be a single cream carrier, but I'm uncertain on that.
Yep, black with lp complex.

However, she does not carry cream. Her foal coat is the classic reddish of a normal black. What she does display is a bit of how lp can affect the foal coat - kind of a foal varnish, if you will. This tends to show up on foals that have extreme bronzing and varnish in their lines and generally means that they will have very strong expressions of those traits - as you can see in how orange your girl is turning. Your girl's sire didn't have particularly strong varnish, but it's possible her mother is hiding some heavy varnish traits - her great grandsire on her mother's side has some pretty impressive varnish.

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 11:18 pm

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:18 pm