Community Forum

Err... question

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Gaagii
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Err... question

Post by Gaagii »

Dame

Sire

I wanna call it 'reverse sooty' but am unsure if that'd be correct.
Occasional Purchaser of Upgrades/Pony Tokens (temporarily closed)
Plume Horse Association
ZaRHBR Member, MRA Member

Gaagii (#88314) & Craven (#88478)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Err... question

Post by BlackOak2 »

Gaagii wrote:
A reverse sooty could mean a couple different things and it all depends on how you want to define reverse sooty using sooty, such as: sooty is a darkening of the body, so reverse sooty would be a lightening of the body. Obviously, you don't mean this.
I think what you mean by reverse sooty is that normally, sooty appears to mostly come from the bottom of the horse up, thereby reverse sooty would be from the top down... but I've come across just as many that come from the bottom as that come from the top. So I don't know if calling one a sooty (from the bottom up) and the other reverse sooty (from the top down), would really be relevant.
But I still like the name. :D

So the reason these horses look a little different from some of the other sooty's is because they are also affected by a strong pangare. Pangare, on your horses, lightens the body to a fairly strong degree, then on top of that here comes sooty, making a pseudo-black out of an already uniquely light-colored horse.

The stud, Hurricane, would be a bay pangare with extreme sooty from the top down. And in fact the sooty may be progressive (getting darker with age).

The dam, Chief, is the same style of bay pangare but her sooty, though extreme is not progressive (it does come from the top down). Once it came in, it stayed but didn't darken any more as she aged.

However, their offspring, The Mighty Patrol, is a brown (so neither parent carries two bay genes, they both carry just one, the other gene is either a brown or a negative, no agouti), but she has also inherited that strong pangare and also a very strong, extreme version of sooty. But considering she's already this dark as a pseudo-black, I doubt that it's progressive. She would be a brown pangare with extreme sooty, from the top.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Gaagii
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Err... question

Post by Gaagii »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Gaagii wrote:
A reverse sooty could mean a couple different things and it all depends on how you want to define reverse sooty using sooty, such as: sooty is a darkening of the body, so reverse sooty would be a lightening of the body. Obviously, you don't mean this.
I think what you mean by reverse sooty is that normally, sooty appears to mostly come from the bottom of the horse up, thereby reverse sooty would be from the top down... but I've come across just as many that come from the bottom as that come from the top. So I don't know if calling one a sooty (from the bottom up) and the other reverse sooty (from the top down), would really be relevant.
But I still like the name. :D

So the reason these horses look a little different from some of the other sooty's is because they are also affected by a strong pangare. Pangare, on your horses, lightens the body to a fairly strong degree, then on top of that here comes sooty, making a pseudo-black out of an already uniquely light-colored horse.

The stud, Hurricane, would be a bay pangare with extreme sooty from the top down. And in fact the sooty may be progressive (getting darker with age).

The dam, Chief, is the same style of bay pangare but her sooty, though extreme is not progressive (it does come from the top down). Once it came in, it stayed but didn't darken any more as she aged.

However, their offspring, The Mighty Patrol, is a brown (so neither parent carries two bay genes, they both carry just one, the other gene is either a brown or a negative, no agouti), but she has also inherited that strong pangare and also a very strong, extreme version of sooty. But considering she's already this dark as a pseudo-black, I doubt that it's progressive. She would be a brown pangare with extreme sooty, from the top.
Thanks, very informative.

Yeah didn't mean literal 'reverse' sooty - as in ligthening horse.
Occasional Purchaser of Upgrades/Pony Tokens (temporarily closed)
Plume Horse Association
ZaRHBR Member, MRA Member

Gaagii (#88314) & Craven (#88478)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 11, 2024 12:23 pm

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:23 pm