Community Forum

Eye-searing Palomino

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Stick
Visit My Farm

Eye-searing Palomino

Post by Stick »

Is it normal for a palomino to have such a blinding white mane?? I thought it just looked odd because my monitor brightness was all the way down before bed last night, but now that I have it back up to normal, it almost looks like it's glowing. Is this just a natural variation in palomino manes that I happened not to see before now? Or maybe just a foal thing that will look more normal once she grows up?

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Eye-searing Palomino

Post by Silverine »

Stick wrote:Is it normal for a palomino to have such a blinding white mane?? I thought it just looked odd because my monitor brightness was all the way down before bed last night, but now that I have it back up to normal, it almost looks like it's glowing. Is this just a natural variation in palomino manes that I happened not to see before now? Or maybe just a foal thing that will look more normal once she grows up?

That does seem quite bright, but it's not out of the realm of possibility as far as I am aware.
Stick
Visit My Farm

Post by Stick »

Silverine wrote:That does seem quite bright, but it's not out of the realm of possibility as far as I am aware.
Have you seen others this bright before? It almost looks like she's missing a shading layer or something. :lol:
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Stick wrote:
Silverine wrote:That does seem quite bright, but it's not out of the realm of possibility as far as I am aware.
Have you seen others this bright before? It almost looks like she's missing a shading layer or something. :lol:
Yes, though it's been quite a while. The shading is there, it's just very faint.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Stick wrote:
Yes, though it's been quite a while. The shading is there, it's just very faint.
Don't forget about the flaxen gene. Often, the brightness is related to the addition of flaxen. When they're this white on a palomino, I've found the flaxen ankles have also appeared. Of course, with the tobiano socks, this won't likely be possible for your foal to determine if the flaxen ankles are apparent (thus proving the bright mane is a flaxen creation), but keep it in mind.

This one shows it quite well in her younger gallery images, although the sooty dirties up her color a bit.

Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Stick
Visit My Farm

Post by Stick »

BlackOak2 wrote:.
Oho! I didn't know that flaxen could brighten up a palomino mane. I do know that she's got flaxen in her bloodline, so that makes sense.

I guess I must have just never seen flaxen and palomino without sooty before? Because yeah even my brightest manes before this had at least a little bit of a grayed look to it. :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Stick wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:.
Oho! I didn't know that flaxen could brighten up a palomino mane. I do know that she's got flaxen in her bloodline, so that makes sense.

I guess I must have just never seen flaxen and palomino without sooty before? Because yeah even my brightest manes before this had at least a little bit of a grayed look to it. :lol:
White is always white... unless it's pseudo, but that's besides the point :D ... anyway, there hasn't yet been a study done on the white's of palomino without flaxen versus the whites of palomino with flaxen. There may not be a difference, or much of one, or there may be a great deal of difference.
I'm inclined to say, it's straight palomino UNLESS there are flaxen indicators (flaxen ankles), or from a flaxen line.

So... *shrugs* take your pick :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

I hadn't noticed that before, but now that I've looked at my flaxen palominos, this looks about right - their manes and tails do look brighter than usual palominos. One of the examples (she is definitely flaxen, as her sire is flaxen and dam has the typical lighter legs with her palomino):
Rusty Flame C

Some sooty is in action now, but her early pictures shows very bright white.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:50 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:50 pm