The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Not sure what colour this horse is

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
shandy_x
Visit My Farm

Not sure what colour this horse is

Post by shandy_x »

Queenie

^ I've put Spotted Seal Bay but It's getting lighter??

This one is a form of dun pangare i think but not too sure:

TO MAKE A GALLOWAY

Also I have a blood bay filly but her head is greying and the rest of her body hasn't yet, would this still be 'greying blood bay'?
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Re: Not sure what colour this horse is

Post by Tjigra »

shandy_x wrote:?
The first one is spotted smokey brown silver - seal brown + one cream + silver + one copy of leopard complex gene without the addition to make loud white patches with spots. Cream is what makes her muzzle and belly golden instead of reddish brown, and spotting makes her colour change throughout her life (called varnishing).

Second one is bay dun with pangare, (mealy bay dun), and is too young to definitely say if he has sooty or not.

The bay filly with grey head is stunning :) Yes, that is a greying bay (blood bay, if you wish, but that is just a shade of bay). She will continue to grey, just happens to be a form of grey that starts with the head.
shandy_x
Visit My Farm

Post by shandy_x »

Thankyou @Tjigra !
ĐiamondĐimension
Visit My Farm

Post by ĐiamondĐimension »

shandy_x wrote:Queenie

TO MAKE A GALLOWAY

Also I have a blood bay filly but her head is greying and the rest of her body hasn't yet, would this still be 'greying blood bay'?
What's odd is when I click on the second horse, either the grey is not appearing for me, or I'm totally blind.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

ĐiamondĐimension wrote: What's odd is when I click on the second horse, either the grey is not appearing for me, or I'm totally blind.
The second horse pictured is not the one they were talking about. They meant this one:

FrozenVet
Visit My Farm

Post by FrozenVet »

shandy_x wrote:Queenie

TO MAKE A GALLOWAY

For the second horse, (according to the one that Silverin showed us) it is a greying blood bay. The horse is just young and the greying gene has not yet started 'spreading'. Once the horse ages you should see the greying gene appearing on other parts of its body until the horse's coat is completely covered by the greying gene.

Take for example this horse: click me

You can see that this stallion has a beautiful grey-like coat but if you see his gallery you will see that he is actually a gold Champagne (a Chestnut with the Champagne gene) and as he ages grey starts to appear around his eyes and then on his body.

This Stallion as you can see is just a grey. However, we cannot be sure that your horse is just a grey as it can also be a fleabitten grey, which is a variation of the grey gene. A fleabitten grey horse looks like a grey horse with dots on his body where his original coat shows through.
FrozenVet
Visit My Farm

Post by FrozenVet »

Tjigra wrote:
shandy_x wrote:?
The first one is spotted smokey brown silver - seal brown + one cream + silver + one copy of leopard complex gene without the addition to make loud white patches with spots. Cream is what makes her muzzle and belly golden instead of reddish brown, and spotting makes her colour change throughout her life (called varnishing).

Second one is bay dun with pangare, (mealy bay dun), and is too young to definitely say if he has sooty or not.

The bay filly with grey head is stunning :) Yes, that is a greying bay (blood bay, if you wish, but that is just a shade of bay). She will continue to grey, just happens to be a form of grey that starts with the head.
Nice explanation of the first one! However, just to inform you the second horse is not what shandy meant to link according to Silverine.

If you are talking about the horse that shandy was supposed to link then you are correct! However, if you are talking about the horse that they accidentally linked I am afraid that your answer is not correct.

Now I am not an expert :lol: but I believe that the horse they accidentally linked is just a bay with the mealy gene. :D
Last edited by FrozenVet on Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

FrozenVet wrote: Now I am not an expert :lol: but I believe that the horse they accidentally linked is just a bay with the mealy gene. :D
There is no "accidentally linked" horse in this thread. There are two that are linked (with questions for both), and a third one which is mentioned but is not linked (and is easy to find if you just look at shandy's ranch (at least was at the moment when the thread was young)). Silverine correctly linked it later.
As far as the second one ("To make a Galloway") is concerned, it is bay with mealy and dun, and not even very cryptic about it - it has a nicely visible dorsal stripe.
FrozenVet
Visit My Farm

Post by FrozenVet »

Tjigra wrote:
FrozenVet wrote: Now I am not an expert :lol: but I believe that the horse they accidentally linked is just a bay with the mealy gene. :D
There is no "accidentally linked" horse in this thread. There are two that are linked (with questions for both), and a third one which is mentioned but is not linked (and is easy to find if you just look at shandy's ranch (at least was at the moment when the thread was young)). Silverine correctly linked it later.
As far as the second one ("To make a Galloway") is concerned, it is bay with mealy and dun, and not even very cryptic about it - it has a nicely visible dorsal stripe.
The horse was accidentally linked according to Silverine and the answer shandy_x gave. It is pretty hard to confuse the mealy gene with the greying one anyways. Plus, the words "they meant" (that silverine said) and the word "correctly" that you said are indicators that the horse was not supposed to be linked and instead another one was supposed to be linked (therefore the horse that they linked was an accidental action). I am really trying to understand the reason as to why you believe that Silverine linked another horse just to mention it. If they wanted to just mention it , they would of done it on another post.

The fact that you just quoted only my answer for the second horse worries me that you are focusing on the least important reason as to why I quoted you.

However, you are right about the dun gene and I do apologise for not mentioning it as I was in a hurry and did not go and look at the horse's profile. Saying what gene's the horse had was not the basic reason as to why I quoted you and instead was to make sure you were talking about the right horse and not confusing the mealy gene with the greying one.

You should not immediately make the assumption that it might of been cryptic, I do see the stripes on it's back but as I said I was in a hurry and when I looked at the horse's picture I was more focused on mentioning the mealy gene which is the main reason as to why this topic was made.

My eye did not go to it's back but on its legs to see what the horse's basic coat is and when I saw no stripes on its legs and neck (a place that is very common on HWO to see the dun gene) I quickly wrote the answer and went to finish a job that I had.

I am sorry if my answer seems harsh!(I do get offended easily :lol: )
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am