The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

A colour help again, please

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Re: A colour help again, please

Post by Tjigra »

So I bought a heavily pregnant mare recently, and she gave me a colt. It kinda sorta looks like the mare is a cremello with blanket, and most of the horses in her pedigree that have their colours named also are said to be cremello (or silver grullo, but don't look one bit like that). Same goes for the colt. However the colt especially looks a bit greenish to me, suggesting the presence of dun, I believe.
Mare's sire is said to be "silver grullo tiger eye", which is not entirely accurate, I believe. I'd rather say he's smokey cream silver with dun, and probably grey too, since he's changed colour a lot, but doesn't look like he's got any Lp (and no visible tiger eye, but instead the blue eyes from double cream).
Is it possible, that the mare I bought is, in fact, cremello with dun and blanket? If so, how is that even called here? :D And what about the colt? Cremello with dun and blanket as well? He looks a bit darker and a bit greener than his dam's foal pictures, but I've no idea what else could that be. I understand the colt is still too little normally to worry about colour, however, looking at the foal pictures in his pedigree, foals this light don't change colours much as they age.
Here is the mare:
Future Ruler*

Here is the colt:
Alfredo C
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Tjigra wrote:So I bought a heavily pregnant mare recently, and she gave me a colt. It kinda sorta looks like the mare is a cremello with blanket, and most of the horses in her pedigree that have their colours named also are said to be cremello (or silver grullo, but don't look one bit like that). Same goes for the colt. However the colt especially looks a bit greenish to me, suggesting the presence of dun, I believe.
Mare's sire is said to be "silver grullo tiger eye", which is not entirely accurate, I believe. I'd rather say he's smokey cream silver with dun, and probably grey too, since he's changed colour a lot, but doesn't look like he's got any Lp (and no visible tiger eye, but instead the blue eyes from double cream).
Is it possible, that the mare I bought is, in fact, cremello with dun and blanket? If so, how is that even called here? :D And what about the colt? Cremello with dun and blanket as well? He looks a bit darker and a bit greener than his dam's foal pictures, but I've no idea what else could that be. I understand the colt is still too little normally to worry about colour, however, looking at the foal pictures in his pedigree, foals this light don't change colours much as they age.
Here is the mare:
Future Ruler*

Here is the colt:
Alfredo C
I think that they're cremello champagne blankets. Try taking close ups of their muzzles and see if there's any mottling. Also do that with their backs to see if there's a dorsal stripe for dun, although I don't think there is.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Yes, in the close-up their noses ar mottled, so champagne. I don't see any signs of dun, but I've seen definitely duns before that don't show any signs of dun except give dun offspring :D I've always associated that greenish tint to the colour with dun before.
If that is champagne and not dun, what is the colour called here? In the other horse game I played, a horse with three or more dilution genes that made it hard to tell even the base colour the result was called simply "alabaster".
Do you think both are the same colour? Mare's foal pictures still look slightly lighter and less green than the foal's.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 am