Community Forum

A colour help again, please

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: A colour help again, please

Post by Tjigra »

What on Earth is that colour? My guess would be smokey cream (black with two creams), am I right?
Telana C
Djeraya
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Djeraya »

Close. Brown Cream, so brown with double creams, looks similar though to the one you guessed ;)
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

I am baffled again.
Justin C

Buckskin silver (dun, roan?) (blanket, snowcap? looks neither one or another, actually, but my guess would be double Lp). I guess the sire is bay dun varnish with blanket, and where did the cream came from? Both Spotty's parents carry single cream, so she is actually not black with roan, but smokey black roan? (is that called blue roan too?)
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Bump! I still wonder, what colour Justin C is :)
Djeraya
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Djeraya »

Justin C is "silver buckskin dun roan snowcap" :) not 100% sure about the dun, but about 80 %; and 100% sure about the rest ;) (snowcap is homozygous for LP indeed)

As for the origin of cream:
Must be the mare. There are no foal pictures of her and the varnish changed her colour a lot so it's hard to say what she is. She must also be roan. Silver is somewhat visible on the mane. Suppose she could be buckskin-based.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

A very minimal snowcap :D Now that you say so, I kinda see the darker stripe along Justin's mane, the one thing I believe gives the dun away. So he's gone all out and collected all the modifiers from both parents.
As to the mare, I bought her well in her teens when she already looked like this. I always believed she was black based, but really there is no proof on that. Silver and roan is proved, she's got a silver daughter out of non-silver stallion and a roan son out of non-roan stallion. Think I should now breed her to a black stallion to see if I can get a black based foal out of her :)
Thanks a lot!
Djeraya
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Djeraya »

Ok so I looked closely on her progeny. You are right, she could be black. She can't be chestnut, because she has a bay-based foal with a chestnut stallion. Bay is very unlikely, she has many brown foals of brown stallions, bay would be dominant over brown. She is probably brown or black based indeed. AT/a or a/a and E/e or E/E (more likely).

I also noticed she is Tiger Eye Carrier. :)
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Haven't been here for a while.
I know he's palomino with blanket, but is that a tiger eye? His dam has visible tiger eyes, but his sire is double cream and blue-eyed, so I'm not really sure.
Apparition C
BananaDragon
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BananaDragon »

Tjigra wrote:Haven't been here for a while.
I know he's palomino with blanket, but is that a tiger eye? His dam has visible tiger eyes, but his sire is double cream and blue-eyed, so I'm not really sure.
Apparition C
I'm not completely sure, but it looks like Tiger Eye to me :)
Wild Mustang Stables
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Wild Mustang Stables »

I have one like that but he's a bit darker:

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/613134
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 10, 2024 4:28 pm

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:28 pm