Community Forum

Feather genetics

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Nic0924
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Feather genetics

Post by Nic0924 »

If they only have that little bit of tip of feather that isn't full feathering does anybody know if that is just a carrier or double recessive? I guess im trying to figure out in general the feather genetics. Im trying to breed them out of my herd. Are carriers the ones with slight feathering, so they don't get a full set or do carriers have no feathers?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feather genetics

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nic0924 wrote:If they only have that little bit of tip of feather that isn't full feathering does anybody know if that is just a carrier or double recessive? I guess im trying to figure out in general the feather genetics. Im trying to breed them out of my herd. Are carriers the ones with slight feathering, so they don't get a full set or do carriers have no feathers?
Generally, there are four different expressions of feathers. They are considered recessive, I think, however, there is something else going on since there are four expressions. So more like a recessive incomplete, meaning that they'll show something, but they will need two to show feathering and not minimum expression. Plus it also means that there may be two different types of feathering, light feathering and full feathering, which is why we can get medium or half feathering.
1) Most Minimum: They have something there, but it it resembles overgrown fetlock hair. This means they do carry the feathering gene and if paired with another, they could produce more feathers. See the below two images of minimum versus none:

2) Light Feathering: Expressed, but more like an afterthought. Full fetlock coverage.
3) Medium Feathering: Halfway up the legs.
4) Full Feathering: All the way to the knees.

If you want to breed them out, avoid breeding number 1's together. You'll have a 25% chance of producing a feather carrier from a single carrying parent. 75% chance if you breed too of these together to get another carrier (that's 50/50 for single gene carrier and 25 for feathering to occur).
Nic0924
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feather genetics

Post by Nic0924 »

Ok that makes a million times more sense. Thank you so much!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 11, 2024 2:10 pm

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:10 pm