Community Forum

Foal Question?

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
MerrySmile
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Foal Question?

Post by MerrySmile »

So I am breeding Arabian foals for Pearl coats...hopefully. Is there a way to tell if a foal is pearl early on in the foal's life? How long do you have to wait to know? Can someone give me examples?

For instance, here's one of my recent foals sired by a pearl stallion

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Foal Question?

Post by BlackOak2 »

MerrySmile wrote:So I am breeding Arabian foals for Pearl coats...hopefully. Is there a way to tell if a foal is pearl early on in the foal's life? How long do you have to wait to know? Can someone give me examples?

Pearl versus cream. This foal is a cream foal and does not have any pearl genes. Pearl cannot hide when paired with cream. This foal is a palomino.

The mare is a cream carrier (a palomino) and indeed the father appears to be a double cream carrier. Pearl genes will hide when there's just one (unless paired with a cream gene).

Double pearls will always have light skin with dark eyes. See these horses as examples (take a look at their galleries for foal images):

Bay

Chestnut

I couldn't find the brown's and black's I had, I suppose they're long since gone right now.
MerrySmile
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by MerrySmile »

BlackOak2 wrote:
MerrySmile wrote:So I am breeding Arabian foals for Pearl coats...hopefully. Is there a way to tell if a foal is pearl early on in the foal's life? How long do you have to wait to know? Can someone give me examples?

Pearl versus cream. This foal is a cream foal and does not have any pearl genes. Pearl cannot hide when paired with cream. This foal is a palomino.

The mare is a cream carrier (a palomino) and indeed the father appears to be a double cream carrier. Pearl genes will hide when there's just one (unless paired with a cream gene).

Double pearls will always have light skin with dark eyes. See these horses as examples (take a look at their galleries for foal images):

Bay

Chestnut

I couldn't find the brown's and black's I had, I suppose they're long since gone right now.
Ok, thank you. I'm not quite sure if you answered this or not but...Is there a way to tell if before any foal is grown if it will be pearl? I'm so new to all this and don't quite understand all the gene stuff. I'm sorry.
MerrySmile
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by MerrySmile »

BlackOak2 wrote:
MerrySmile wrote:So

So can you explain this horse to me? Pearl Sire again.

Were you saying that the horse has to be brown for Pearl to exist?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

MerrySmile wrote:
Ok, thank you. I'm not quite sure if you answered this or not but...Is there a way to tell if before any foal is grown if it will be pearl? I'm so new to all this and don't quite understand all the gene stuff. I'm sorry.
As long as the foal isn't affected by champagne or tiger eye, the foal will display dark eyes and pink skin, even as a newborn.

Tiger eye will turn the eyes light-colored and will make it much more difficult to tell if it's double pearl. I recommend staying away from creams and tiger eye until you have successfully established pearl into your herd.
MerrySmile wrote:So can you explain this horse to me? Pearl Sire again.

This horse is a buckskin, that means he has cream, not pearl. The horse does NOT have to be brown for pearl to exist, what I was trying to offer was that what you're seeing as pearl, is in fact cream.

Okay, so cream and pearl share the same locus, which means you can't have two cream genes and two pearl genes at the same time. You can only have: double cream, double pearl or a cream and a pearl (along with having no cream or no pearl, but I hope you already understand that).

Cream is a dominant gene, meaning that you only need one for it to show (plus it has the ability to enhance the dilution of the coat when you double up).

Pearl is a recessive-incomplete gene, which means that you need to pearls to show, OR you need a pearl paired with a cream to show.

So, when you have an obvious single cream horse (buckskin, palomino, smoky brown, smoky black), then the horse cannot have a pearl gene.

To get you back on track, this is a part arabian stallion that's double pearl, he's up for stud on the market:

That's the only one I came across in a quick search.

This stud that you've been using is correct with his color: cremello, which means he's double cream. He does not carry the pearl gene, so he cannot pass on a pearl gene.

MerrySmile
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by MerrySmile »

BlackOak2 wrote:
MerrySmile wrote:
As long as the foal isn't affected by champagne or tiger eye, the foal will display dark eyes and pink skin, even as a newborn.

Tiger eye will turn the eyes light-colored and will make it much more difficult to tell if it's double pearl. I recommend staying away from creams and tiger eye until you have successfully established pearl into your herd.
MerrySmile wrote:So can you explain this horse to me? Pearl Sire again.

This horse is a buckskin, that means he has cream, not pearl. The horse does NOT have to be brown for pearl to exist, what I was trying to offer was that what you're seeing as pearl, is in fact cream.

Okay, so cream and pearl share the same locus, which means you can't have two cream genes and two pearl genes at the same time. You can only have: double cream, double pearl or a cream and a pearl (along with having no cream or no pearl, but I hope you already understand that).

Cream is a dominant gene, meaning that you only need one for it to show (plus it has the ability to enhance the dilution of the coat when you double up).

Pearl is a recessive-incomplete gene, which means that you need to pearls to show, OR you need a pearl paired with a cream to show.

So, when you have an obvious single cream horse (buckskin, palomino, smoky brown, smoky black), then the horse cannot have a pearl gene.

To get you back on track, this is a part arabian stallion that's double pearl, he's up for stud on the market:

That's the only one I came across in a quick search.

This stud that you've been using is correct with his color: cremello, which means he's double cream. He does not carry the pearl gene, so he cannot pass on a pearl gene.

Ok, thanks again. I think I'm getting it now.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 09, 2024 4:15 pm

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:15 pm