Community Forum

My Horses Aren't Eating Enough?

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
alexalaina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

My Horses Aren't Eating Enough?

Post by alexalaina »

I just got a small barn and whenever I go to the next turn, it says the horses aren't eating enough. I'm not sure what to do and how much food to give them. I've tried giving them 400% for food but it's not working. I also put hay down for them too. Please help! I'm still a new to this game!
Rhorsegirl80
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: My Horses Aren't Eating Enough?

Post by Rhorsegirl80 »

alexalaina wrote:I just got a small barn and whenever I go to the next turn, it says the horses aren't eating enough. I'm not sure what to do and how much food to give them. I've tried giving them 400% for food but it's not working. I also put hay down for them too. Please help! I'm still a new to this game!
If they are young then the best place for them is the pasture until they have grown up a bit or are a bit fat :D
Harlow Way Equestrian Center

Quality Breeding & Selling
Proud Breeder Of The Thoroughbred Horse & Other Prospects
[/center]
alexalaina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by alexalaina »

There is a 10 year old horse that is in there and it isn't eating enough either.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

alexalaina wrote:I just got a small barn and whenever I go to the next turn, it says the horses aren't eating enough. I'm not sure what to do and how much food to give them. I've tried giving them 400% for food but it's not working. I also put hay down for them too. Please help! I'm still a new to this game!
400% is probably the answer.
There is this number below the protein, fiber and sugar bars that says "Max Feed". That is the amount of feed your horse can possibly physically eat in a day. Above that is a line that says "Regular Feed". That is the amount of feed your are offering to your horse. If you offer the horse more than it can possibly eat, those numbers go red and it means the horse won't eat everything you offer. You have to balance the feed around in such a way that the daily energy is somewhat above 100% (if you need them to gain weight), but the regular and max feed numbers are still not in red.
Second thing is, the horses eat their feed in the order it is listed. First in that list is hay (if you offer them that), and if you give them 100% hay, they stuff themselves up on it, can't possibly eat more and don't even touch the rest of the food you offer (and in result lose weight and don't have energy, because hay is not the most energy effective feed). So I suggest you cut back on hay and try to offer them something else.
A quick look at your ranch showed you have your horses in pastures and they have all been fed hay - they don't even get to graze. If your pastures are of good quality (meaning there is enough grass for horses to feed themselves), try to feed them some corn or oats (but not 100%, just whatever amount is needed to get their "daily energy" number around 100%). If that makes the max feed number go red, try performance mix or weight gain mix instead. The bigger the horse, the more food it can eat and needs to eat, so the percentage and food has to be adjusted individually for each horse. Smaller horses and ponies can live on grass alone and won't need any additional food (and sometimes even get too fat on grass only if the pasture is of good quality, so you might need to mow it down a bit).
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

The other posts are correct.
There is one thing that wasn't mentioned by them, so I'll make note of it.
Right now, the only way for a horse to die is from old age (increasing chance every turn when the horse turns 17 years).

So don't stress too much and think your horse's will pass because they're loosing too much weight or are too fat. They won't.
Panda-girl9
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Panda-girl9 »

Can a foal die because the mom is not eating enough? Because My mare is very thin. thanks.
Emlyn
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Emlyn »

Panda-girl9 wrote:Can a foal die because the mom is not eating enough? Because My mare is very thin. thanks.
That feature is currently not in the game :]
So no the foal will not die if the mare is not eating enough.
like to be a lady living in the country with lots of horses and dogs.”
― Queen Elizabeth II

Panda-girl9
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Panda-girl9 »

ok Thanks.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 6:50 pm

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:50 pm