Community Forum

How do you make a horse calmer?

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Ziel
Visit My Farm

How do you make a horse calmer?

Post by Ziel »

Usually most folks want to make their horses high-strung - but I want to do the opposite. How would one go about chilling a horse out? Currently, all my horses come out of training high-strung, and I need calmer horses for dressage and stuff. However, putting them 100% on hay inside a barn exceeds their maximum feed weight. So what can I do? :?
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Re: How do you make a horse calmer?

Post by PeacefulOreo »

Ziel wrote:Usually most folks want to make their horses high-strung - but I want to do the opposite. How would one go about chilling a horse out? Currently, all my horses come out of training high-strung, and I need calmer horses for dressage and stuff. However, putting them 100% on hay inside a barn exceeds their maximum feed weight. So what can I do? :?
Performance Mix usually doesn't change the horse's temperament, meaning that if you feed a bombproof horse Performance Mix, the horse's temperament stays bombproof. Try to give the horse feed that has not much sugar as sugar increases the horse's temperament (like from even-tempered to high strung). Another thing with the temperament, it's also a genetic thing. If both parents are high strung, then the foal is very likely to be high strung or if both parents are bombproof, then the foal is very likely to be bombproof.
Ziel
Visit My Farm

Post by Ziel »

PeacefulOreo wrote:
Ziel wrote:Usually most folks want to make their horses high-strung - but I want to do the opposite. How would one go about chilling a horse out? Currently, all my horses come out of training high-strung, and I need calmer horses for dressage and stuff. However, putting them 100% on hay inside a barn exceeds their maximum feed weight. So what can I do? :?
Performance Mix usually doesn't change the horse's temperament, meaning that if you feed a bombproof horse Performance Mix, the horse's temperament stays bombproof. Try to give the horse feed that has not much sugar as sugar increases the horse's temperament (like from even-tempered to high strung). Another thing with the temperament, it's also a genetic thing. If both parents are high strung, then the foal is very likely to be high strung or if both parents are bombproof, then the foal is very likely to be bombproof.
Thanks for responding, but it doesn't really answer the question of how to calm an already high-strung horse down!
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

Ziel wrote:
PeacefulOreo wrote:
Thanks for responding, but it doesn't really answer the question of how to calm an already high-strung horse down!
I don't think there's a way to calm an already high strung horse.
Ziel
Visit My Farm

Post by Ziel »

PeacefulOreo wrote:
Ziel wrote:
Well... I'm trying what I can - putting the stallions I want to chill out on a performance mix / alfalfa (or hay) diet. Let's hope the higher fibre is what is needed to make them relax a bit. :lol:
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

Ziel wrote:
PeacefulOreo wrote:
Well... I'm trying what I can - putting the stallions I want to chill out on a performance mix / alfalfa (or hay) diet. Let's hope the higher fibre is what is needed to make them relax a bit. :lol:
Yeah, chill pills don't exist, sadly. :lol:
Ziel
Visit My Farm

Post by Ziel »

PeacefulOreo wrote:
Ziel wrote:
Yeah, chill pills don't exist, sadly. :lol:
Yeah lmao!! So I've just got some of my stallions in a pasture on grass / hay, and another in a barn on weight gain mix / alfalfa cubes (because that's the lowest amount of sugar / highest fibre I can give him while staying under feed weight). Fingers crossed after some time I see it going down - or we learn it really can't be done and should be added to the game, 'cause putting horses on high fibre does, in fact, chill those born calm in the first place out after a while IRL!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Ziel wrote:
PeacefulOreo wrote:...
To make a horse's temperament go upward (if it can), high sugar diets are the key.
To make a horse's temperament drop (if it can), high fiber is the way to go.

Corn is the highest sugar feed we can offer on the game and pasture is the best for highest fiber. By mowing the pasture, you can kind of control how much the horse is eating as well.

To balance a horse (keep the temperament where it is), the barn is best and it usually takes a little performance, a little alfalfa cubes and a little weight management (or something similar).

Some horses move easily, some do not, some don't change at all.
Bombproof is the worst at this. I don't immediately recall any high strung not being able to move, but I'm sure if bombproof doesn't, then there would be a high strung that also wouldn't.

So if wanting to move in one direction versus the other, stay away from the one you don't want. In your case, by moving downward, don't feed any sugar at all.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 3:45 am

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:45 am