Community Forum

Grass Distribution

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
heartbeatforhorses
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Grass Distribution

Post by heartbeatforhorses »

How come some horses will have 105% energy just on grass while others in the same pasture only have 41%? Does it depend on the breed or is it just at random??
I have a pasture where one stallion is getting enough energy just off of grass while others have to have over 50% feed.
Xant’hippe
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Grass Distribution

Post by Xant’hippe »

It depends on the breed, and also the horse's size.

Some breeds are "easy keepers," especially if they are typically 14.0 h or less as adults (they usually stop growing somewhere between 4 and 5 years). That includes Tarpans, Przewalski Horses, and Shetland Ponies.

Big breeds need more nourishment, including Belgians and some Forest Horses.

Of the saddle horse breeds, Turkmenes are especially "hot" -- high levels of metabolism make them good for racing but often hungry; also, they're tall. Of the other three AC breeds, Arabians, Caspians, and North African Barbs tend to eat somewhat less. However, very highly bred Arabians (those with 50,000 HGP and several Golds/Greens in the Breeders Report) can have greater needs, especially if they are taller and more massive than is typical.

Pedigree breeds follow the same general pattern. "Hot" racing breeds include Akhal-Teke, Baladi, Deliboz, Kathiawari, Marwari, Norfolk Trotter, Russian Don, and Thoroughbred.

Exactly how the game's programming handles nutrition is subject to a considerable number of variables and sometimes horses get fatter or thinner unexpectedly. Keep watch on them -- maybe try a different supplement if the horse gains/loses too much.

Best wishes and good luck! :)
Xant’hippe
heartbeatforhorses
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Thanks! The stallion that I mentioned is a Przewalski's Horse so that makes sense. When it says I have 67% pasture quality does that mean that 67% of every horse's diet will be grass or ,as you said, it depends on the breed and size?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

heartbeatforhorses wrote:Thanks! The stallion that I mentioned is a Przewalski's Horse so that makes sense. When it says I have 67% pasture quality does that mean that 67% of every horse's diet will be grass or ,as you said, it depends on the breed and size?
That generally means there is 67% of grass left in the pasture, compared to 100% grass meaning that it offers horses as much as any pasture can offer any horse that can stuff itself to its maximum.

But it still depends on the size and breed. A lot of the smaller horses can survive just fine on meager or almost empty pasture quality. Meanwhile, the largest horses will always need supplemental food, even if the pasture remains at 100%.
heartbeatforhorses
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Ok thanks so much!!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue May 07, 2024 9:11 pm

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:11 pm