Community Forum

Creative Writing Contest! Winner Gets a Gypsy Vanner!!!

Want to hold your own contest? Post the details here!
GypsyHorse
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Creative Writing Contest! Winner Gets a Gypsy Vanner!!!

Post by GypsyHorse »

Hi, hope y'all are having a great Christmas/New Year! I'm an aspiring author, and I like to write Narrative Poems, which are similar to short stories. For you writers out there, or just anybody looking for a contest, I present to you:
HWO'S Creative Writing Contest (yay me, for finding such an original name :roll: )
But with only a few horses and 4,213 HWO credits in my horsey bank account, I find myself in a tight spot.
Most people only participate in contests if there's a prize, right? So I decided, whoever wins the contest can get a Gypsy Vanner colt/stallion of mine of their choice. They could also decline the prize.
Again, I don't have many horses so, I'm sorry to say, don't expect Horse Utopia with thousands of happy little Vanners in pastures and barns. I literally only have ONE pasture, and it's not even full.
So yeah, guys, I'd be real happy if you participate, and remember:
The contest is just for fun! It's not a race!
What I like to see in a story:
- Emotion
- Suspense
- Climaxes
- Details
- Good characters: so don't just say "This is Benny. Benny is alive." Do something more like: "Benny was a very hyper and wild boy, always doing something. Whether he was tapping his fingers on tables, rapidly blinking his dark brown eyes, or running his big hand through his equally wild, frizzy ginger hair."
- Good plot

What I like to see in a poem:
- Rhyming
- Details
- An air of mystery
- Good vocabulary

If you're not 100% sure about your English, it doesn't matter! Give it a try!
And I hope you enjoy this 8-)
Hidalgo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Creative Writing Contest! Winner Gets a Gypsy Vanner!!!

Post by Hidalgo »

I'm kind of an aspiring writer, too. I'm in the editing stages of my first book, hoping to get it published someday. I've also written a few short stories for fun. Anyways, here's my entry. I'm not sure if it's much good, but I hope you enjoy :) I don't need any of your horses, just wanted to make an entry for fun :D

If I could have just one thing
I'd want a speedy creature with a tail and a mane.
A chestnut or a black, a buckskin or a bay,
Its color doesn't matter, as long as it can neigh.
I want a sleek and shiny Arab with Mustang in his veins,
And when we ride it won't be with the ordinary reins.
I'm gonna let his saddle grow dusty on the rack
Of course I'll leave his bridle; we don't need all that tack.
I'll have a piece of rope made in a Cherokee,
Cause there's an understanding between just him and me,
I don't use my hands so much, I guide him with my heart.
Now there's just one more thing to do before we start--
A bit of paint around his eye, some feathers in his tail,
I leap aboard his back, and we begin to sail.
We soar along the ground,
We race that eagle in the sky
We're faster than the wind,
We're free, my horse and I.
BridlePath
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BridlePath »

Im not good at rhyming but ill write my best :D
"Valley of death-War horse"

Bombs drop, screams pierce the sky
Bullets fly
The cavalry surged into unjust lands of opinion and greed
All so their people could finally be freed
Fire engulfed the atmosphere
Half of the horses disappeared
Its just me and my rider running into the fray
Not knowing our fate, on this judgement day
The battle of a war horse is an unsightly one
But we charge with no fear til the war is done
I do not shy away from the h*ll I endure
Because I could not stop in the face of death
Even after my body has been scorched
My steps thunder over the land as I heave towards victory
On this day, we will make history
We fade into fog, off to win this fight, but something is amiss
What will happen to us?
DragonHorse!!!!
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by DragonHorse!!!! »

I like making stories and poems, too!! :D Um, I have two entries if that's okay. If it's not, just pick one randomly, I guess.....Okey!!
Short Story:
As the day wore on, we kept running. From what, I did not know. The sun was setting against the wonderful desert horizon we call our home. I looked to my right and saw my best friend of my beginning years running next to me. Infront of me is my mother, her long, beautiful tail blowing in the wind. To my right is one of the stallions of our herd.
The stallions stick to the outside when traveling so they could protect us all.
I realize now we were just running for the sake of it; relocating to find a good patch of rare desert grass. My father was in the front. being the leader, he was the one who decided to move us all. A few of the mares of our small herd were moving slower than the others. It was Springtime, and they had not yet given birth to their foals. I was born early.
I remember this day like it was indeed yesterday. My beautiful white buckskin coat was shining in the sun, almost gold and glowing. My black and white stub of a mane blowing with my short tail following my behind.
My coat is even shinier now that I am older. When the herd stopped running it was long past dark. We stopped and wandered around-not to far-but around the area where we were in and then gathered in pairs or groups of three or four and silently grazed or dozed off. I found my mother and father and stood in the middle of them both. I nuzzled each then settled to finding my friend. We found each other then started nickering. Our parents came over and pulled us apart. We whinnied goodnight then reluctantly followed our folks.
I woke to a load churpping. A few of the other horses had woken to it, too. My ears pricked and I shuffled forward. A few of the mares and stallions glanced in my direction. Apparently, I wasn't very stealthy at that age. I walked to the border of our herd, curious. My friend stared at me. Her amber eyes so very bright with the Moon's light reflecting on them. She nickered a small warning. I shook my head and snorted. It fit her that her name was Chary, a synonym for cautious.
A young stallion whinnied, telling me to go back. I ignore him. That's when my father rushes in front of me with an angry snort. My ears are flat against my neck. He was about to bight me in punishment, when, there was a rustling in the bushes to our left. Everyone's ears * and heads turn quickly. My father walks carefully, slowly, to the border of our small camp.
Suddenly, a puma jumps out, lashing at our legs. More come from the back of camp and jump onto horses backs. They buck and whinny. The stallions spring into action while the others try to get the creatures off and protect the young.
Suddenly, I'm surrounded. They could tell I was small, and, as they thought, vulnerable. Boy, were they wrong. My ears pinned. I snorted and got ready to spring. One from behind lashes out and I kick him. I turn and butt my head against another. The one I kicked was on the ground. I turn and stand over him. I rear up and bring my hard hooves down heavily on his head. His eyes turn to whites and his tongue lolled out of his mouth. His breathing slowed until it eventually stopped. I felt a sudden pain in my back. I whip around and another of the savage animals flies off my back. I run to my friend, who is wide-eyed with fear. I kick a puma that's coming from behind her and convince her to move. We see an indentation on the rocky side of a wall. It is big enough for a small horse and dark enough for the hideous creature not to see anything hiding deep and flat against the wall. She crouches down trying to make room for me. I shake my head then turn and gallop away. She whinnies. I know this is a dangerous decision, but I need to prove that I am strong enough to fight and that when I'm older, I can be a capable leader, even though I am a female and the only leaders we have ever had in the old herd that goes back to the dawn of time that we all belong to, have all been males.[/size][/size][/size]

Poem:
The thunderclap when my hooves touch ground,
the extremely loud sound, like one thousand bloodhounds.
Around the rail the pack flies,
I feel we are faster than even the wind in the skies.
The cold air blowing through my mane,
my rider doesn't even consider pulling back on my rein.
We slowly make our way through the pack,
the jockey on me gets lower to my back.
We are almost there, the ending stretch in sight,
We are packed in very tight.
We are now in the lead,
I am meant to race, it's in my breed.
We cross the finish line in first place,
We have finished the epic chase.
Fifty-four red roses are hung around my neck,
My rider gets a trophy and a giant check.
But in the end, it's not about the prize,
It's about being able to fly.
To be able to race is a horses dream,
Being a racehorse will make any horse beam.
Hope y'all like!![/size] ;) :) :D 8-) :lol: :P :!:
DragonHorse!!!!
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

When will this be judged and how will you let us know if we win? Thanks!!
DragonHorse!!!!
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

I like writing, too!! Here is a short story and a poem. If you can only accept one, just randomly pick one or something!! :D Also, quick question, when will this be judged? Also, sorry if I posted twice, I posted and it said on my thing that I didn't post anything, so.....!! Okey!!
Short Story:
As the day wore on, we kept running. From what, I did not know. The sun was setting against the wonderful desert horizon we call our home. I looked to my right and saw my best friend of my beginning years running next to me. Infront of me is my mother, her long, beautiful tail blowing in the wind. To my right is one of the stallions of our herd.
The stallions stick to the outside when traveling so they could protect us all.
I realize now we were just running for the sake of it; relocating to find a good patch of rare desert grass. My father was in the front. being the leader, he was the one who decided to move us all. A few of the mares of our small herd were moving slower than the others. It was Springtime, and they had not yet given birth to their foals. I was born early.
I remember this day like it was indeed yesterday. My beautiful white buckskin coat was shining in the sun, almost gold and glowing. My black and white stub of a mane blowing with my short tail following my behind.
My coat is even shinier now that I am older. When the herd stopped running it was long past dark. We stopped and wandered around-not to far-but around the area where we were in and then gathered in pairs or groups of three or four and silently grazed or dozed off. I found my mother and father and stood in the middle of them both. I nuzzled each then settled to finding my friend. We found each other then started nickering. Our parents came over and pulled us apart. We whinnied goodnight then reluctantly followed our folks.
I woke to a load churpping. A few of the other horses had woken to it, too. My ears pricked and I shuffled forward. A few of the mares and stallions glanced in my direction. Apparently, I wasn't very stealthy at that age. I walked to the border of our herd, curious. My friend stared at me. Her amber eyes so very bright with the Moon's light reflecting on them. She nickered a small warning. I shook my head and snorted. It fit her that her name was Chary, a synonym for cautious.
A young stallion whinnied, telling me to go back. I ignore him. That's when my father rushes in front of me with an angry snort. My ears are flat against my neck. He was about to bight me in punishment, when, there was a rustling in the bushes to our left. Everyone's ears * and heads turn quickly. My father walks carefully, slowly, to the border of our small camp.
Suddenly, a puma jumps out, lashing at our legs. More come from the back of camp and jump onto horses backs. They buck and whinny. The stallions spring into action while the others try to get the creatures off and protect the young.
Suddenly, I'm surrounded. They could tell I was small, and, as they thought, vulnerable. Boy, were they wrong. My ears pinned. I snorted and got ready to spring. One from behind lashes out and I kick him. I turn and butt my head against another. The one I kicked was on the ground. I turn and stand over him. I rear up and bring my hard hooves down heavily on his head. His eyes turn to whites and his tongue lolled out of his mouth. His breathing slowed until it eventually stopped. I felt a sudden pain in my back. I whip around and another of the savage animals flies off my back. I run to my friend, who is wide-eyed with fear. I kick a puma that's coming from behind her and convince her to move. We see an indentation on the rocky side of a wall. It is big enough for a small horse and dark enough for the hideous creature not to see anything hiding deep and flat against the wall. She crouches down trying to make room for me. I shake my head then turn and gallop away. She whinnies. I know this is a dangerous decision, but I need to prove that I am strong enough to fight and that when I'm older, I can be a capable leader, even though I am a female and the only leaders we have ever had in the old herd that goes back to the dawn of time that we all belong to, have all been males.
Poem:
The loud thunderclap when my hooves meet the ground,
The sound is louder then one-thousand bloodhounds.
I am pressed up against the rail,
us horses want to succeed, not fail.
I feel we are running faster than even the wind in the sky,
Oh, how it seems like I can fly!!
The cold air rushing through my mane,
my rider doesn't dare to pull back on the rein.
We slowly make our way through the pack,
the jockey on me gets lower on my back.
We are now in the lead,
I must race, it's in my breed.
We go for the homestretch, the finish line in sight,
I see my future, it looks bright!!
We cross the finish line in first place,
we have now finished the chase.
Fifty-four red roses are hung around my neck,
my rider gets a trophy and a giant check.
But in the end, it's not about the prize,
it's about being one with the sky.
To race is a horses dream,
When a racehorse wins, it makes them truly beam!!

the original poem got deleted so I had to change a lot so it's not that good...sorry!! :D :) ;) :lol: 8-) :!: :mrgreen:
apparanch
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by apparanch »

Prince

A dark prince,
So ruthless and bold.
Your eyes are like olives,
but your heart is stone cold.

A twisted ruler,
Your power is cryptic.
Your crown of black feathers,
is almost ecliptic.

A crooked lord,
But your beauty does flaunt.
Robes of violet satin.
You do love to taunt.

Emperor of the night,
You are the Prince of the day.
But you will also be stunning,
In your own way.

By TabbyWelch @ Grade Horses & More

This is about one of my Grade Horses, Prince. You can find him in my Starter Horses Pasture, he's absolutely stunning with black feathers and green eyes!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 1:20 pm

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:20 pm