Community Forum

Conformation Critique and Advice!

Neon4
Visit My Farm

Conformation Critique and Advice!

Post by Neon4 »

I'm not sure if this is already a thing but I had a good look and couldn't find anything, please let me know if there is already something! D:

This is for conformation critique and advice. I created it because I thought it might be helpful, and because it is an interesting thing to discuss.

I was hoping for some advice on my colt, N4 Rhubarb

I would love to get other peoples opinion on his conformation. I noticed that he isn't the nicest looking pony and was wondering if perhaps this is due to either/both his age and/or because he is under weight? Do you think it will sort itself out with time and feed? Also I think he looks a bit uphill, am I right on this?
(Its probably pointless clicking on him to have a closer look by the way, but you can see why for yourself if you really want to xD)
UPDATE: I think he was just going through an ugly phase as most young horses do; he looks a lot better as a 3 year old! :D

Feel free to post your own horses for advice and critique!
Last edited by Neon4 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Conformation Critique and Advice!

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Neon4 wrote:I'm not sure if this is already a thing but I had a good look and couldn't find anything, please let me know if there is already something! D:

This is for conformation critique and advice. I created it because I thought it might be helpful, and because it is an interesting thing to discuss.

I was hoping for some advice on my colt, N4 Rhubarb

I would love to get other peoples opinion on his conformation. I noticed that he isn't the nicest looking pony and was wondering if perhaps this is due to either/both his age and/or because he is under weight? Do you think it will sort itself out with time and feed? Also I think he looks a bit uphill, am I right on this?
(Its probably pointless clicking on him to have a closer look by the way, but you can see why for yourself if you really want to xD)

Feel free to post your own horses for advice and critique!
He is a bit up uphill, actually midway between extreme and level. I'm not a fan of the type of mane on him, he is pleasing to look at as a whole, not stubby/knocked kneed like many of the tiny ponies on this game. I love the color with the dun, looks smart.

I have been quite pleased with my micro Thoroughbreds (and my micro Arabs/POAs/Shetlands), that I have bred, so far.

MFI P.S. I Love You ♀
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Neon4
Visit My Farm

Post by Neon4 »

Baranduin Brewster wrote:
He is a bit up uphill, actually midway between extreme and level. I'm not a fan of the type of mane on him, he is pleasing to look at as a whole, not stubby/knocked kneed like many of the tiny ponies on this game. I love the color with the dun, looks smart.

I have been quite pleased with my micro Thoroughbreds (and my micro Arabs/POAs/Shetlands), that I have bred, so far.

MFI P.S. I Love You ♀
Thank you for the feedback! I am actually breeding my ponies to have really long thick manes and tails, like ponies in real life. Personally i think its cuter, but i can understand you not liking them :P
Your ponies (horses?) are lovely! <3

Is it just me, or does my pony have a huge head and really skinny legs? Dx
Xant’hippe
Visit My Farm

Post by Xant’hippe »

Rhubarb does have thin legs, it says so on the Conformation tab. His head is slightly convex in profile and the jaw is thick. Combine that with his short face and short neck and you could perceive him as having a "huge" head*. Maybe the puffy forelock adds to the impression. I'm so used to seeing this in Pony-type equines in this game that it doesn't bother me -- in fact, I think he's adorable and would love to breed a mare or two to him.

I think Rhubarb's color is Silver Amber Champagne (Bay) Dun.

Best always! I've been very pleased with Antelope and Skeleton Lake. :D

Xan

* P.S. I Love You has a somewhat similar combination of traits (her face is much longer) on a "Horse type, Very Light" frame.
Neon4
Visit My Farm

Post by Neon4 »

Xant’hippe wrote:Rhubarb does have thin legs, it says so on the Conformation tab. His head is slightly convex in profile and the jaw is thick. Combine that with his short face and short neck and you could perceive him as having a "huge" head*. Maybe the puffy forelock adds to the impression. I'm so used to seeing this in Pony-type equines in this game that it doesn't bother me -- in fact, I think he's adorable and would love to breed a mare or two to him.

I think Rhubarb's color is Silver Amber Champagne (Bay) Dun.

Best always! I've been very pleased with Antelope and Skeleton Lake. :D

Xan

* P.S. I Love You has a somewhat similar combination of traits (her face is much longer) on a "Horse type, Very Light" frame.
Thank you for the feedback!
I definitely noticed his short neck and I see now what you mean about several things adding up to look like he has a huge head xD I like the shorter neck and shorter legs as it makes them look more compact. I love this compact but still not bulky build and body shape to be honest. There's just something about it that really appeals to me and makes them so much cuter! :D I wish he had thicker legs, I am most definitely not a fan of skinny legs ahh

Im glad you are happy with the ponies! I have been looking back through my lines and i noticed that my herd has improved a lot. I looked at ponies and found they were no where near as cute as most of the ponies i have now. Even some of my retired ponies are cuter! Its so cool to see my progression because sometimes i feel like i'm getting no where and give up for a while :oops:
I recently have seen Antelope in competitions and i'm so happy that she is so successful! :D

I was wondering if you might check on the conformation report for me how these two stallions are? I am more interested in their legs, as i usually go by cuteness rather than a proper conformation report. I find that what i think is cute often has really good conformation anyway haha

N4 Fireworks

N4 Espresso

Ill get a tackless picture of them both so you can have a better look just now :D
Xant’hippe
Visit My Farm

Re: Conformation Critique and Advice : N4 Fireworks and N4 Espresso

Post by Xant’hippe »

Hello again Neon4! :)

I also do breed sketches on request for folks I like (like you :D) I have books for most of the breeds you'd see on my or Scythian's farms. I am not looking to replace a Breed Book but to give you a rough idea of breed specs.

N4 Fireworks

Fireworks is 0/5 for Shetland, American Shetland, Falabella, Miniature, Arabian, and Thoroughbred.

At an adult height of 16 inches, Fireworks is definitely an N4! Aside from the height, he's built like a medium drafter like Norman Cob, with Type slightly in excess of the range.

Confo: first, the raw numbers

Speed 19
Strength 27
Stamina 36
Intelligence Conformation does not affect Intelligence
Balance 33
Movement 27
Agility 39
Tempo 23

The sliders take more time. In relatively few words, Fireworks has

Head & Neck
a slightly dished face; moderately short face; almost exactly medium jowl (neither shallow nor thick), and again, middling neck length, neither short nor long.

Shoulder and Barrel
Withers/ shoulder angle mostly upright; point of shoulder very low; rib cage quite deep; depth of flank middling.

Back, Haunches, and Legs
Hip Angle mildly sloping
Hip Length very long
Leg Thickness mildly thin
Stifle Placement moderately back
Back Length quite short
Croup Height moderately uphill

Xan's impression: not only a charmer to look at, your training has made him a superb do-er as well. No wonder he's already a Master Ch. and no doubt upward bound.

N4 Espresso

Espresso is 0/5 for Shetland, American Shetland, Falabella, Miniature, Arabian, and Thoroughbred.

At an adult height of 18 inches, Fireworks is obviously an N4. He's a small-scale replica of a Norman Cob 4/5.

Confo: first, the raw numbers

Speed 23
Strength 21
Stamina 33
Intelligence Conformation does not affect Intelligence
Balance 26
Movement 24
Agility 41
Tempo 18

Sliding scales described in words.

Head & Neck
Slightly dished face; moderately short face; moderately thick jowl; middling neck length, neither short nor long.

Shoulder and Barrel
Withers/ shoulder angle upright; point of shoulder very low; rib cage moderately deep; depth of flank middling.

Back, Haunches, and Legs
Hip Angle middling
Hip Length very long
Leg Thickness quite thin
Stifle Placement middling
Back Length quite short
Croup Height mildly uphill

Color guess: Bay Snowcap Varnish

Xan's impression: Good performer and looker! (I might have named him "Rocky Road" once his adult colors settled a little. I have a Brown Silver Shetland named Cappuchina.)

Ponies are delightful! :D

Xan
Neon4
Visit My Farm

Re: Conformation Critique and Advice : N4 Fireworks and N4 Espresso

Post by Neon4 »

Xant’hippe wrote:Hello again Neon4! :)

I also do breed sketches on request for folks I like (like you :D) I have books for most of the breeds you'd see on my or Scythian's farms. I am not looking to replace a Breed Book but to give you a rough idea of breed specs.
Not going to quote everything as it will take too much space xD

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it! I would love to see the books you made, it always interests me to see what other players are creating! I am quite happy with their conformation actually, however i think i definitely need to work on thicker legs! They don;t actually look that skinny to me though, so its not a huge problem :D

I have -sort of- created breed guild lines for my ponies, but its nothing like the breed books offered in the store xD

Thank you! :D
Xant’hippe
Visit My Farm

Post by Xant’hippe »

:D You're welcome.

My "sketches" are the descriptions I wrote: a brief summary of traits. Sort of a photobomb, compared to a real studio portrait (provided by HWO's products/services).

I care about this game and the people who run it, and don't want to devalue any of their work. So I'm willing to do the qualitative descriptions, but there are details in the Conformation Report and the Breed Evaluations that are useful and which I don't intend to reproduce in full. So many of us put the Confo numbers in our Owner's Comments, For Stud ads, and For Sale ads that I don't feel that those are or should be secrets.

Your goals for the ponies are both visually pleasing and practical in terms of competing in In-Hand Jumping. I'm happy to see your successes! :D
Neon4
Visit My Farm

Post by Neon4 »

Xant’hippe wrote::D You're welcome.

My "sketches" are the descriptions I wrote: a brief summary of traits. Sort of a photobomb, compared to a real studio portrait (provided by HWO's products/services).

I care about this game and the people who run it, and don't want to devalue any of their work. So I'm willing to do the qualitative descriptions, but there are details in the Conformation Report and the Breed Evaluations that are useful and which I don't intend to reproduce in full. So many of us put the Confo numbers in our Owner's Comments, For Stud ads, and For Sale ads that I don't feel that those are or should be secrets.

Your goals for the ponies are both visually pleasing and practical in terms of competing in In-Hand Jumping. I'm happy to see your successes! :D
Thats awesome! I'm kinda wishing i was brave enough to upgrade my account just so that i can use the conformation feature xD I'm so excited for where my line is headed for the future :D

On the side note, I am looking for tiger eye ponies to breed into my lines if anyone has any spare?

Scythian
Visit My Farm

Post by Scythian »

Neon4 wrote:
Xant’hippe wrote::D You're welcome.

Thats awesome! I'm kinda wishing i was brave enough to upgrade my account just so that i can use the conformation feature xD I'm so excited for where my line is headed for the future :D

On the side note, I am looking for tiger eye ponies to breed into my lines if anyone has any spare?

Hello and Happy New Year from Scythian / Xant’hippe. Thanks for inspiration and for selling some very nice ponies.

Wanted to share this with you: a beautiful colt from N4 Frosted and a tiny (Falabella x Shetland), Fog:

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1109798

Best,
Xan / Scythian
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:45 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:45 pm