Community Forum

Discipline Potential Evaluation

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Discipline Potential Evaluation

Post by Silverine »

Update below!

So as I posted earlier I have been working on a little project to help players determine what they should show their horses in. It's not much but I hope it helps some players out.

What I've made is a Google spreadsheet that takes in information about your horse's conformation and breeder's report and spits out a general idea of what they'd be best at. (Please note that them doing the best at that thing does not equate to them actually being good at it.) I will admit right off the bat that I made some assumptions in the making of this sheet and am probably missing some data, so the evaluations may not be 100% accurate. However, this should still give you a good idea of the things your horse might do well.

My sheet evaluates two different potentials - one based on the breeder's report, the other based on conformation - and then averages them to get a total potential for each discipline. HWO scores each discipline based on four of a horse's eight attributes. I used the attributes being judged to determine a horse's potential as follows:
Potential = ((Stat 1 Score * 4) + (Stat 2 Score * 3) + (Stat 3 Score * 2) + Stat 4 Score) / 10
Potential is a percentage! This means that if your horse has a 75.2 total potential score, then it has 75% of the maximum potential for that discipline. A potential of 100 would be a horse that is perfect and can not possibly improve on its conformation or breeder's report for that discipline.

Conformation scores are evaluated based on their relation to the max score for the stat. (Max confo scores are sourced directly from horses on HWO, and will be updated if/when I find higher scores.) So if Movement has a max score of 68, a horse with a 68 would have a score of 100 for Movement. The sheet calculates this for you so you don't have to worry about it, I just thought people should know how it works.

The sheet has lists to help you determine your horse's base Breeder's Report score for each attribute. Along the bottom of the sheet is a row of tabs with titles such as "BR Score Guide - Strength" or "BR Score Guide - Agility". Choose the score guide for which stat you are looking at, then find your horse's BR comment. If your horse's stat is red, gold, or green be sure to choose the box that has the same color background. The appropriate score for that comment will be in a box to the right. Then all you have to do is take that score and plug it into the appropriate orange box on the main sheet.

Here is an example of the sheet with one of my horse's stats filled in. <- I'm going to say that the sheet did pretty well on this evaluation. The horse being evaluated was specifically bred for Dressage and clearly has better evaluations in those areas.

Click here to get your own, blank copy. <- This link will have you make a copy of the blank sheet to your Google drive (you do not need a Google account to do this). That way we don't have everyone editing the same sheet at once. (This sheet will have negative scores to start out because of the way that conformation potential is calculated. This is not an error.)

Update! I've made a sheet with all of the breeder's report scores on one page for ease of use. :)

Please let me know what you think! Feel free to point out any errors you find or ways I can improve the analysis.

Non-Premium Players! You do not need conformation scores for this sheet to be helpful, though they will make the evaluation more accurate. But if you want to fill in the conformation scores there are usually plenty of nice premium players willing to help out.

Update! - 3/23/2021 - I made a pretty significant change to the way conformation potential is calculated. See the update here for more information.

Previous Update - 5/4/2018 - I just realized something and it makes me feel oblivious. If you right click on 'Sheet 1' you will find a 'Duplicate' option. If you click this it will create an exact copy of Sheet 1. In this way you can keep one horse on Sheet 1 and put another on the duplicate, allowing you to easily compare the two! You can duplicate Sheet 1 as many times as you want, and even name the sheets after the horse whose data is on it. Hopefully this comes in handy. :)
Last edited by Silverine on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Discipline Potential Evaluation

Post by Hilayla »

That's really cool.
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

Nice! The chart will weight conformation more heavily than it looks at first glance because its already a factor in the breeder's comments. Not that its necessarily a bad thing. It might even be better than equal weight.
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Nate wrote:Nice! The chart will weight conformation more heavily than it looks at first glance because its already a factor in the breeder's comments. Not that its necessarily a bad thing. It might even be better than equal weight.
Thanks! I hadn't realized that (though now that you point it out I don't know why I didn't :lol: ), but it does go better with how I was thinking the events are graded. Like, a horse that's built for speed but doesn't necessarily have the best speed report should still perform better than a horse with a slightly better report with only mediocre conformation.
vallers
Visit My Farm

Post by vallers »

Silverine wrote:So as I posted earlier I have been working on a little project to help players determine what they should show their horses in. It's not much but I hope it helps some players out.

What I've made is a Google spreadsheet that takes in information about your horse's conformation and breeder's report and spits out a general idea of what they'd be best at. (Please note that them doing the best at that thing does not equate to them actually being good at it.) I will admit right off the bat that I made some assumptions in the making of this sheet and am probably missing some data, so the evaluations may not be 100% accurate. However, this should still give you a good idea of the things your horse might do well.

My sheet evaluates two different potentials - one based on the breeder's report, the other based on conformation - and then averages them to get a total potential for each discipline. HWO scores each discipline based on four of a horse's eight attributes. I used the attributes being judged to determine a horse's potential as follows:
Potential = ((Stat 1 Score * 4) + (Stat 2 Score * 3) + (Stat 3 Score * 2) + Stat 4 Score) / 10
Conformation scores are evaluated based on their relation to the max score for the stat. (Max confo scores are sourced directly from horses on HWO, and will be updated if/when I find higher scores.) So if Movement has a max score of 68, a horse with a 68 would have a score of 100 for Movement. The sheet calculates this for you so you don't have to worry about it, I just thought people should know how it works.

The sheet has lists to help you determine your horse's base Breeder's Report score for each attribute. All you have to do is find your horse's comment in the list and plug the score for that comment into the appropriate orange box.

Here is an example of the sheet with one of my horse's filled in. <- I'm going to say that the sheet did pretty well on this evaluation. The horse being evaluated was specifically bred for Dressage and clearly has better evaluations in those areas.

Here is a blank sheet that you can copy and use for yourself.

Please let me know what you think! Feel free to point out any errors you find or ways I can improve the analysis.

Non-Premium Players! You do not need conformation scores for this sheet to be helpful, though they will make the evaluation more accurate. But if you want to fill in the conformation scores there are usually plenty of nice premium players willing to help out.

I still don't know what numbers to put in for the breeder's report.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

vallers wrote: I still don't know what numbers to put in for the breeder's report.
There should be a row of tabs at the bottom of the sheet. If you click on them it will open up a page filled with the different BR comments for that specific stat. Find where your horse's comment is (if the comment is green, gold, or red the background of the box will be colored to match). The number next to it is the score that you input into the main sheet.

For example, if your horse's agility comment is is green and says "Your stallion is very nimble." you would open up the "BR Score Guide - Agility" tab and find the box with a green background that reads "Your stallion/mare is very nimble." The score box next to that reads 62.5, so you would input 62.5 on the main sheet.

Hope that helps! :)
Hilayla2
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla2 »

I found a breeder report you didn't have:

Your stallion is pretty balanced.
I simply guessed that "The balance on this stallion/mare is what I'd call standard" is close enough for my purposes but I thought I'd let you know.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Hilayla2 wrote:I found a breeder report you didn't have:

Your stallion is pretty balanced.
I simply guessed that "The balance on this stallion/mare is what I'd call standard" is close enough for my purposes but I thought I'd let you know.
Thanks! I'll add it in.
Raven
Visit My Farm

Post by Raven »

Wow amazing! Thank you very much!!
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »