Community Forum

Conformation and the Breeder's Report

CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

Re: Conformation and the Breeder's Report

Post by CarouselCowgirl »

Thanks Argent.

Is training necessary for LS if you are just wanting to try out the horse? Like, if it has 0% training, will the LS be a good indicator of how well they might do at 100%? I'd like to select for horses who excel in driving, but I'd rather not have to train them all! :)
Argent II
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

Training is a must.

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
Ms. Trouble Maker
Visit My Farm

Post by Ms. Trouble Maker »

Argent II wrote:BRs are reliable, just vague.

LS are absolute, general shows are relative. Training is a must. Level does not affect score.
what do you mean when you say LS are absolute???
Argent II
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

You go up levels in general shows based on beating other horses. You can get a crappy horse to level 10 in general shows as long as everyone else sucks more :P

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

Post by CarouselCowgirl »

Thanks Argent.

I'll probably only worry about training up the studs. Right now though I am mainly working with 1st generation Percherons and their conformations are all over the place... Gonna work on that first before attempting training and showing.
KayaineII
Visit My Farm

Post by KayaineII »

Has anyone ever done well at lvl 5+ in the LS?
Argent II
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

During testing, I think. But even then the highest level anyone won at was 6, and that was before conformation effects.

KayaineII
Visit My Farm

Post by KayaineII »

Ah, thanks. I was wondering why I could never do much better than lvl 4.
Ms. Trouble Maker
Visit My Farm

Post by Ms. Trouble Maker »

Argent II wrote:You go up levels in general shows based on beating other horses. You can get a crappy horse to level 10 in general shows as long as everyone else sucks more :P
ohhh ok! that's a funny way to put it!!! lol :lol: Sooo if I'm doing good at local shows at a level 5 then my horse is probably an alright one then? lol My one stallion Stud Man does alright in level 5 Western Trail....he get's 1st, sometimes he'll get 2nd place.
Amber
Visit My Farm

Post by Amber »

CarouselCowgirl wrote:So, this led me to wonder... maybe the conformation does play a part, but there are other things that we cannot see that also affect the breeders report. It makes sense in my mind that a horse doesn't necessarily have to have the best conformation to be great at something...
Yes, conformation does have a strong effect. Yes, there's more to the story.
CarouselCowgirl wrote:Am I on the right track with these thoughts? If so, what is the best way to select your breeding stock? Show scores?
Show scores are the most definitive performance selection test.

I'm going to watch this thread to see if anyone else has figured it all out. It's interesting to see other players starting to get curious about how things work. :)
---

Hey there. I'm a little confused.... Argent, did Larissa tell you how conformation affects performance?
I have my own theories, but I don't want to prattle on about them if there's an official story!

Thanks, in advance.

ADDENDA: to include question from other thread about "0" conformation bonuses versus positive ones, as question #2. Thanks Argent! :-)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 7:12 am

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:12 am