Community Forum

Horse height

elizabeth1
Visit My Farm

Horse height

Post by elizabeth1 »

I was just wondering how is it my arabians are normally between 18- 21 hands? when the recommended hight for the breed is down around 14 hands? And, my second question is does that affect them at all if any in like competitions? Because all I know it affects them in is there conformation ranking.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Horse height

Post by BlackOak2 »

elizabeth1 wrote:I was just wondering how is it my arabians are normally between 18- 21 hands? when the recommended hight for the breed is down around 14 hands? And, my second question is does that affect them at all if any in like competitions? Because all I know it affects them in is there conformation ranking.
I don't believe height has any effect in competitions except for height limited competitions (such as in-hand jumping).
As for how they got that tall, most likely, selective (or accidental) breeding for taller genes. If you want them to shrink, you'll have to breed out to smaller horses or select your breeding stock for potentially shortened genes (the same way we can breed tall, is the same way we can breed short, just look for the genes you want and the horses that throw what you're looking for).
elizabeth1
Visit My Farm

Re: Horse height

Post by elizabeth1 »

Ok, thank you

I was just wondering because sometimes I can have a batch of 10 foals and almost always I get one thats just a lot shorter then the rest but the next time that same mar and stallion combo will give me a giant foal :) but personally I like the bigger horses. And as long as its not hurting in competitions or anything I think I will stay with the big babies.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 pm