Community Forum

Oddball Colt

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
User avatar
Retsi
Posts: 258
Joined: October 12th, 2016, 1:41 am
Visit My Farm

Oddball Colt

Postby Retsi » July 16th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Just had this blanket foal born but his sire, dam, and grands aren't blanket! :lol: he's so cute, I thought i'd share.
He's blue roan, correct? Hopefully his foal coat doesn't change much :D

Genetics, gotta love the oddities!

SF Neptune
High Quality Performance Horses
Image

Raikit
Premium
Premium
Posts: 346
Joined: December 22nd, 2015, 9:49 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Postby Raikit » July 16th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Retsi wrote:Just had this blanket foal born but his sire, dam, and grands aren't blanket! :lol: he's so cute, I thought i'd share.
He's blue roan, correct? Hopefully his foal coat doesn't change much :D

Genetics, gotta love the oddities!

SF Neptune


He's a blue roan blanket underneath, but he's actually grey. His sire is also grey, but the owner just labelled it as high varnish. The horse is also varnish, but grey is what is causing him to be so entirely light all over. Eventually he will be all white and you won't be able to see his snowflakes.

Alana
Premium
Premium
Posts: 98
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 4:31 am
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Postby Alana » July 17th, 2017, 6:06 am

I would not be so hasty on the grey, he might grey or he might not, but he is definitly black/blue roan blanket and will varnish with age

Raikit
Premium
Premium
Posts: 346
Joined: December 22nd, 2015, 9:49 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Postby Raikit » July 17th, 2017, 6:42 am

Alana wrote:I would not be so hasty on the grey, he might grey or he might not, but he is definitly black/blue roan blanket and will varnish with age


Actually on HWO the foal coat is a very clear indicator of whether or not a horse will turn grey. Most horses are born with a foal coat that is different from their adult coat, but grey horses are born with an adult coat and turn grey as they get older. If this foal were just a regular blue roan and not a grey he would have been born this color (though this foal has no blanket or tiger eye):
Image

And here is a true grulla versus a greying grulla. The second picture will take you to the horse so you can confirm where the baby picture came from:
GrullaGrey on Grulla
ImageImage




The grey horse was born with a coat you would expect to find on an adult horse rather than one you'd expect to find on a newborn. The same is true of all greys: grey on brown cream dun, grey on sooty smoky brown, grey on sable dun, grey on yellow dun are just are a few examples.

Edit: Oops, wrong link in the table the first time around. :?

Alana
Premium
Premium
Posts: 98
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 4:31 am
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Postby Alana » July 17th, 2017, 6:45 am

Raikit wrote:Actually on HWO the foal coat is a very clear indicator of whether or not a horse will turn grey. Most horses are born with a foal coat that is different from their adult coat, but grey horses are born with an adult coat and turn grey as they get older.


I stand corrected, I had no idea about this so thank you for educating me :)

Raikit
Premium
Premium
Posts: 346
Joined: December 22nd, 2015, 9:49 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Postby Raikit » July 17th, 2017, 6:49 am

Alana wrote:I stand corrected, I had no idea about this so thank you for educating me :)


It's an odd quirk of the game that I find very handy. :) (And I apologize if I went a bit over-the-top - I do a lot of research into the colors here and when I start explaining something I seem to automatically go into lecture mode. :oops: )

Alana
Premium
Premium
Posts: 98
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 4:31 am
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Postby Alana » July 18th, 2017, 9:13 am

Raikit wrote:
Alana wrote:I stand corrected, I had no idea about this so thank you for educating me :)


It's an odd quirk of the game that I find very handy. :) (And I apologize if I went a bit over-the-top - I do a lot of research into the colors here and when I start explaining something I seem to automatically go into lecture mode. :oops: )


I love lecture mode, means I get to learn something new :D and it is a very handy quirk indeed, never bred any greys myself so hence the lack of knowledge :P

User avatar
Retsi
Posts: 258
Joined: October 12th, 2016, 1:41 am
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Postby Retsi » July 20th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Raikit wrote:.


Hmmm, look at my boy now! :lol: I think you were right.



SF Neptune
High Quality Performance Horses
Image

Raikit
Premium
Premium
Posts: 346
Joined: December 22nd, 2015, 9:49 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Postby Raikit » July 21st, 2017, 6:02 pm

Retsi wrote:
Hmmm, look at my boy now! :lol: I think you were right.



SF Neptune


Yep, definitely got his grey goggles now. :)

JillJessie1997
Posts: 277
Joined: May 28th, 2017, 3:14 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Postby JillJessie1997 » July 21st, 2017, 10:40 pm

Retsi wrote:Just had this blanket foal born but his sire, dam, and grands aren't blanket! :lol: he's so cute, I thought i'd share.
He's blue roan, correct? Hopefully his foal coat doesn't change much :D

Genetics, gotta love the oddities!

SF Neptune


Everybody else has covered his coat color so may I just say he is absolutely lovely :o
Image


Return to “What Colour Is My Horse?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest