Community Forum

Tips needed ! !

EquestrianEvolution
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Tips needed ! !

Post by EquestrianEvolution »

I'm starting a breeding business with Thoroughbreds and I would like to know if I should focus more on buy mares then finding stallions standing for stud, or buying a couple stallions and a few mares. At this point I'm just buying whatever looks good :lol:

I would also like to know what other tips you all have!

A side note: Everything is for sale at the moment via offer only because I'm unsure of what to do or if I even want to stick with TBs. If I want to change breeds, what breed would be a good starter yet popular breed?
Zebracat1234
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Tips needed ! !

Post by Zebracat1234 »

Hi, your friendly neighborhood thoroughbred breeder here.
To be honest with you, I'd start with buying some nice mares and breeding them to the stallions on the stud market until you feel comfortable enough with your own stock to homebreed.

What would you like to accomplish with breeding your thoroughbreds? Is there a certain discipline your wanting to breed for? The majority of Thoroughbred breeders breed for speed so they'll be good at racing. I personally breed all rounder thoroughbreds, but I am currently breeding in some speed to my stock to make them more valuable to speed breeders.
Chincoteague Ponies | Thoroughbreds
EquestrianEvolution
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Tips needed ! !

Post by EquestrianEvolution »

I really love the sports of hunters, dressage, and eventing (the sports I ride IRL) though, I was looking in the Breeds Wiki, and I might try to breed for Canadian Warmblood in the near future to use for the same purpose (hunters, jumpers, dressage and cross country) I'll of course keep a few TBs because I'm kinda biased with them as well as CWs :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue May 07, 2024 8:46 pm

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:46 pm