Community Forum

A sire and his foals

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Zebracat1234
Visit My Farm

Re: A sire and his foals

Post by Zebracat1234 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Dilutes are not my strong point, but here goes.

Frostbite Fox appears at first to be a champagne, double pearl, but since a pearl can't hide in his dam, the most he can be is a cream & pearl... however, since he also has dark eyes, that should nix that as well as a double cream.
So I come to the conclusion that your guess is probably accurate: dappled (silver gene on black), cream and champagne.

For his son, it appears he is a champagne with silver on bay with one cream gene. It also appears he may have pangare.

His daughter appears to be on a chestnut with the champagne and one cream gene, but it also looks like she may carry the dun gene as well.

Those are my best answers.
I'm going to jump in here because I have experience with these exact colors.

The sire is Silver Classic Smoky Cream - black + silver + champagne + 2xcream. His eyes are darker because the eyes of champagne horses can darken with age, especially when affected by tiger eye as his appear to be. He only has four living foals, but every single one of them is double cream, lending weight to the theory of him being double cream as well. (For the two foals you didn't ask about, his first foal is Silver Smoky Cream (black + silver + 2xcream) and the other is Cremello Champagne (chestnut + champagne + 2xcream)).

The son is a mildly sooty silver perlino - bay + silver + 2xcream. His muzzle would not be so solidly dark if he had champagne. His legs would also be much lighter, to the point that they could possibly be lighter than the body. Even bay-based champagnes with a single cream exhibit incredibly diluted lower legs. This boy also has the dark spot behind the eye and on the tips of his ears that is indicative of perlino.

Questionable Fox is the most mysterious of the bunch. Her dam is a cremello, so its possible that she's chestnut-based, but her coat has too much blue in it for me to believe that's the case. If she was a cremello champagne she would look more like her sister. Instead, I believe she is Classic Smoky Cream (black + champage + 2xcream), the same color as her sire minus the silver.

All of these horses are affected by tiger eye to at least some extent, so relying on their eyes to determine dilutions can be misleading, especially combined with champagne.
Thank you so much!
Chincoteague Ponies | Thoroughbreds
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 7:46 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:46 am