Community Forum

Tobiano - strange happenings...

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Tobiano - strange happenings...

Post by AltNazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
The two-gene I was referring to is the 'switch' gene. To turn the expression of the To on or off.
And the pattern gene, which really is the combination of all the rest of the patterning genes for To. This is why there is 'very many' and 'for every single marking' (at least that's what I assumed Argent refers to). This is the same way that Lp was introduced. And quite possibly works very similarly to Lp as well, such as 'when you fill your cup for certain areas, your cup overflows and begins filling other areas'. For Lp, this is how we went from hip blankets to full-coverage leopards.

But that was my suspicion and that is my theory. I don't know if I'm correct or not, but using this theory, it makes sense when applied to these horses.

When one carries To, but no switch = no markings.
When one carries switch, but on To = no markings.
When passed on to the foal, switch & To = markings.
Therefore, two totally unmarked horses, can produce a marked offspring.

That being said,
doesn't necessarily fit into the 'cup overfloweth' theory.
This foal from Redstar is the reason why it would be nice to have some research done on the To. So perhaps a bit more understanding can go into what Tobiano genes are likely to produce.
Ok, explained like this it makes more sense (to me) ^^' well, if someone will do some research at some point it would really be nice...
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

AltNazarach wrote:
Ok, explained like this it makes more sense (to me) ^^' well, if someone will do some research at some point it would really be nice...
I agree. Totino ran the forum topic on Lp. Silverine, I and a couple other players put in a lot of work as well, alongside Totino's work. I don't have the time or room to develop one on To (or even help with it). Some other players will have to take it up to produce it.
It is a long and involved project, at least it was for Lp. To may prove different.
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
AltNazarach wrote:
I agree. Totino ran the forum topic on Lp. Silverine, I and a couple other players put in a lot of work as well, alongside Totino's work. I don't have the time or room to develop one on To (or even help with it). Some other players will have to take it up to produce it.
It is a long and involved project, at least it was for Lp. To may prove different.
I've red it at some point and that was a massive work - and for something alike I can only agree with you (as I'm juggling my Abyssinians and Friesians on one hand and only now am slowly making progress on my Sanhe project on the other -.-' ), so even if I had the resources for starting a research even somewhat close that just wouldn't be possible :/
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

AltNazarach wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I've red it at some point and that was a massive work - and for something alike I can only agree with you (as I'm juggling my Abyssinians and Friesians on one hand and only now am slowly making progress on my Sanhe project on the other -.-' ), so even if I had the resources for starting a research even somewhat close that just wouldn't be possible :/
Here you go.

I'm still working on filling out the first post with pics and information, but at least there's a place for discussion now.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Silverine wrote:
I'm still working on filling out the first post with pics and information, but at least there's a place for discussion now.
awesome! already bookmarked ^^ Many thanks for starting on this :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 am

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 am