Community Forum

Part breeds breding

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Breeding COI

Post by Bitapetrone »

Ms. Trouble Maker wrote:I'm still confused by the 7 gen COI thing. lol and then near it there's percentage numbers...Eg: 7 gen COI 6.80%
How do you use them numbers to get a good foal that will excel in something rather than suck in everything? lol
I think I understand what you're asking. There is no magical COI (Coefficient Of Inbreeding) that makes a foal good or bad; it's simply a percentage showing how much/little inbreeding has taken place in the horse's pedigree (This is in layman's terms as I am by no means a genetic expert).

Now, the percentage itself doesn't mean much as far as creating a 'good' horse is concerned, BUT, inbreeding or line-breeding can help you to achieve certain goals with your herd. Personally I am breeding for a particular build and an aptitude for Working Ranch. With this in mind, I first started by working towards a build I wanted and finding horses who had a knack for Working Ranch (really the only way to figure out if your horse will be good at a certain event is to compete in that event and see how they do). Once I got a few horses I liked I bred them to together multiple times and eventually got a second generation of foals who were a little better than their parents. This is where line-breeding came in for me. I wanted to perpetuate and enhance the traits of the horses I had, so I bred relatives within 1-6 gens of each other together over the course of many generations while occasionally adding in new blood from the adoption center or outside stallions. If I got traits I didn't like in certain offspring I culled those horses from my program and only continued to breed the ones with the traits I liked (COI can work against you and you can inadvertently perpetuate traits that you do not want). Eventually I ended up with a herd of horses of very similar type and VERY prominent genes--which enables them to pass on their traits quite consistently and I have been able to watch my Working Ranch scores steadily grow over an extended period of time.

If you look back in Coin's pedigree you'll see a very consistent type and quite a bit of line-breeding: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/28266
Ms. Trouble Maker
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Part breeds breding

Post by Ms. Trouble Maker »

ok ok I think I get it. So if one of my mares has a good gene and I breed it with a brother that has a bad gene then it probably wont turn out as good...whereas if I breed it with its parent that has a good gene then the new foal would turn out better??
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

COI is a theoretical number. To my knowledge, it represents the % of genes that are likely to be homozygous based purely upon inbreeding. A horse with a really high COI could be more consistent in its foal quality than a horse with a low COI. Of course, COI is only tracked 7 generations back, so if you have a horse herd that had all of its typesetting done more than 7 generations ago, those horses would be consistent producers with low COI. It can be useful, but it isn't a guarantee either way, especially since it isn't an actual measurement of homozygous genes in a horse.
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

Well I'd recommend looking at the whole picture and not focusing on one thing explicitly, but if the particular trait you're looking for is bad in horse A and good in horse B, then it would probably be best to go with horse B. But again, make sure you don't miss out on the whole picture; a horse can be crap in one area in great in others.
Ms. Trouble Maker
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Ms. Trouble Maker »

ya that's true...Guess I got some experimenting. lol I'm mainly working towards Friesians X Forest horse mix or just plain Friesians
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 8:53 pm

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:53 pm