Community Forum

Gene responsible for "rust" ?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Re: Gene responsible for "rust" ?

Post by Malakai10 »

Malakai10 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: Pleasure. As far as I know, it does hold true across all dilutions, it's just much harder to notice.

If I get any silver blacks, I'll also take pictures.

Should one of us make a topic on this forum to display findings related to silver black and it's dilutions?
The colour combination for which the tone change does not hold true is grey, as far as I know - grey on silver black and grey on silver smoky black foals will always be the same colour as an adult silver black or silver smoky black horse.
Something that I should perhaps clarify - it's not so much because of the silver that silver black and silver smoky black have different tones, it's because of black and smoky black. Black foals start out with a warmer hue and smoky blacks as a more blue-ish grey colour - this is what carries over to non-cream dilutions. So, I imagine a double cream silver black or pearl silver black will look exactly the same at birth (except the eyes, of course), with a colder and lighter hue than both silver and silver smoky black - usually a sort of silvery colour (I'd have to double check this, it has been a while since I've had smoky cream horse and I'm not sure if there are any silvers left in my herd.)

On the other hand, a silver classic champagne and silver smoky cream champagne will, once again, have a difference in with the non-cream having a warmer hue. The same applies to dun and should also apply to spotted and tobiano horses, but I don't work with those last two colours, so I can't be certain.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote:...
I have already made a few topics on color changes in specific genes in the past. I had planned on making others, but easily got distracted on other projects. So it's an option and is always handy to see the differences that a single gene can change into. Although I ignored essentially the entire dilution gene section of the game, it gave quite some insight into the color expanse that some of these more difficult yet basic genes can offer.
Bringing light to the color scheme of the silver and black lineup would be a good addition, if only to offer something neat to look at.
One of the two color studies I did, was a study in the dappling gene when created by black and silver. But I only covered their newborn and year blowout stages, I didn't do anything on the progression from 1 year onward. So my study did nothing to showcase this rusty-change.

The two I did:
A Study in Dilution: the Dun Gene
A Study in Dappling: the Silver Gene

That was were I stopped. I had been in the middle of graying, roan and pangare, but that's the moment I got sidetracked. However, I was only covering the study from newborn to a year.
To have a different study from a year and up to show some of the changes, that would certainly be interesting, but I did already say that. :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Malakai10 wrote:.
BlackOak2 wrote:.
I don't know if it helps in regards to multiple dillutes on black, but I've put up this little excoursion on black and its appearances from birth to 1 year
Topic: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 13&t=19942
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote:...
I have already made a few topics on color changes in specific genes in the past. I had planned on making others, but easily got distracted on other projects. So it's an option and is always handy to see the differences that a single gene can change into. Although I ignored essentially the entire dilution gene section of the game, it gave quite some insight into the color expanse that some of these more difficult yet basic genes can offer.
Bringing light to the color scheme of the silver and black lineup would be a good addition, if only to offer something neat to look at.
One of the two color studies I did, was a study in the dappling gene when created by black and silver. But I only covered their newborn and year blowout stages, I didn't do anything on the progression from 1 year onward. So my study did nothing to showcase this rusty-change.

The two I did:
A Study in Dilution: the Dun Gene
A Study in Dappling: the Silver Gene

That was were I stopped. I had been in the middle of graying, roan and pangare, but that's the moment I got sidetracked. However, I was only covering the study from newborn to a year.
To have a different study from a year and up to show some of the changes, that would certainly be interesting, but I did already say that. :D
... I now feel like making a study of colour changes and variations.

It's 11pm. I should not be doing this.

I am doing this.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Nazarach wrote:
I don't know if it helps in regards to multiple dillutes on black, but I've put up this little excoursion on black and its appearances from birth to 1 year
Thanks for linking that!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
I was just looking at it. :D

I didn't realize, although perhaps I just didn't think about it, that the smoky in roan was still quite visibly a different shade from the regular.

Having it all in one place, like Totina's guide is quite handy, but I do like having a couple different options for looking them through.

Thank you for posting that.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote: ... I now feel like making a study of colour changes and variations.

I am doing this.

:lol: <---- me reading this reply.

There are times I have SO 'been-there-done-that'.
In this case, such a study can be a little involved. Don't delve too much and make yourself too worn out. :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: ... I now feel like making a study of colour changes and variations.

I am doing this.

In this case, such a study can be a little involved. Don't delve too much and make yourself too worn out. :D
I just want to start the basics - in any case, I actually can't fall asleep too early, so *shrugs* having something to hyper-focus on is helpful.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I just want to start the basics - in any case, I actually can't fall asleep too early, so *shrugs* having something to hyper-focus on is helpful.
It will be interesting to see the end outcome. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: I just want to start the basics - in any case, I actually can't fall asleep too early, so *shrugs* having something to hyper-focus on is helpful.
It will be interesting to see the end outcome. :mrgreen:
I hope it turns out well. This is completely new for me to do and my head is saying, 'Thou shalt not look up how to create a good study.' So, I'm winging it; usually turns out alright.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 3:25 am

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:25 am