BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Breeds Wiki (Work in progress)

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote:
Totina wrote:
You are correct but the reason I struggle with this decision is in the current breeds wiki where Kaimanawa is presented as a wild horse breed. It is surely not a wild breed in the same terms as Forest Horse, Tarpan and Przewalski but it's a feral horse in the same way as Mustangs and other "wild" breeds of today.
True, but the current breeds wiki has also listed many pony and draught breeds as light horse breeds so *shrugs* it's almost a bit pedantic, perhaps - maybe a new category for feral horses should be added?
On the point of 'wild' breeds, I'm inclined to include any horse that 'developed naturally with no direct influence from humans' among the wild breeds. And this, because we're not talking about 'separate species of equine' but about 'different breeds of equine 'horse''. In this area, even the Prze horse should be excluded, since technically it's a different species then our domesticated variety. There is a difference and it's still a hot topic button. I don't know personally where the genetic differences extend to the tarpan or the forest though.
So I guess my definition of 'wild breed' is slightly different then a 'wild horse'.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: True, but the current breeds wiki has also listed many pony and draught breeds as light horse breeds so *shrugs* it's almost a bit pedantic, perhaps - maybe a new category for feral horses should be added?
On the point of 'wild' breeds, I'm inclined to include any horse that 'developed naturally with no direct influence from humans' among the wild breeds. And this, because we're not talking about 'separate species of equine' but about 'different breeds of equine 'horse''. In this area, even the Prze horse should be excluded, since technically it's a different species then our domesticated variety. There is a difference and it's still a hot topic button. I don't know personally where the genetic differences extend to the tarpan or the forest though.
So I guess my definition of 'wild breed' is slightly different then a 'wild horse'.
Just realised I've been going on about separate species when I should have said subspecies. Tarpans, Przewalski and Forest Horses are classified as a separate subspecies.

Domesticated horse: Equus ferus caballus

Tarpan: E. ferus ferus

Przewalski's: E. ferus przewalskii

The Forest Horse is actually just a hypothesis - it was given the name Equus caballus germanicus. (Back when it was proposed, Tarpan, Prze and domestic were all called E. caballus (subspecies)

The biggest reason I'm a bit huffy at this is probably because I spent far too long putting together a research task on domestication for bio. It was. So exhausting. And now a little thing like the difference between feral and wild annoys me because there's a big difference and spent weeks and my sanity of researching that and it was awful and I'm never touching a research task again *thinks to the music research task that is essentially tomorrow that I still haven't done* not touching a researching task again nOPE

:lol:

Anyway, it's mostly because of that research task that I argue about feral vs wild.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Just realised I've been going on about separate species when I should have said subspecies. Tarpans, Przewalski and Forest Horses are classified as a separate subspecies.

Domesticated horse: Equus ferus caballus

Tarpan: E. ferus ferus

Przewalski's: E. ferus przewalskii

The Forest Horse is actually just a hypothesis - it was given the name Equus caballus germanicus. (Back when it was proposed, Tarpan, Prze and domestic were all called E. caballus (subspecies)

The biggest reason I'm a bit huffy at this is probably because I spent far too long putting together a research task on domestication for bio. It was. So exhausting. And now a little thing like the difference between feral and wild annoys me because there's a big difference and spent weeks and my sanity of researching that and it was awful and I'm never touching a research task again *thinks to the music research task that is essentially tomorrow that I still haven't done* not touching a researching task again nOPE

:lol:

Anyway, it's mostly because of that research task that I argue about feral vs wild.
I completely agree that there is a VAST difference between 'feral' and 'wild'. (And under certain conditions, I have the same 'evil' attitude about it).
In this case, I am reading as 'wild horse breed' as a 'breed' rather than a 'species'. Though sub-species are supposed to be... in a rather indirect definition... 'a full part of the main species but because of area of development or subsequent result of environmental factors, has, over time, developed a different set of characteristics from the main species', I am reading it as a 'breed' of horse whereas, at least by the Prze standard, the Prze horse, is a different species, albeit very closely related. The difference is 2 chromosomes. I suppose my sticking point is that a different number of chromosomes is more in tune with a different species, however closely related, versus just a 'different set of characteristics', for instance, a species that was recently identified as having different sub-species is the giraffe, but they all appear to have 30 chromosomes (hopefully, my information is still correct, things change :D ).

So... I don't know what the correct description of species or sub-species would be, because at some point a sub-species becomes it's own species, entirely separate from the main one.

In this case, I still say a 'wild' breed is best defined as a 'breed' of horse that has developed with little to no direct human interference... and yes, also known as a 'feral' breed. And this should be different then the wild horses that we do have on here, the Prze, and I can also certainly agree that the tarpan is a true wild horse (but not necessarily a 'wild breed', aka a feral horse. I just don't know about the forest, but that's simply lack of investigation, so I'll also agree with that one as well.

If we are to get other equine species and sup-species on here (Zebra for instance, or the donkey) then maybe we would have to separate out true wild species of horses with false wild breeds, aka ferals, insofar as calling them 'Feral Breeds' and 'Wild Horses'.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by KYTrainer »

Totina wrote:...
Here's the Thoroughbred''s info:

Origin: England, 17th and 18th century

Extinct: No

Height: 15.0hh to 16.3hh

Common Use: Primarily Racing, but is used in Eventing and Pleasure Riding as well.

Common Colors: Black, White, Chestnut, Gray, and Bay

Type: Light Horse Breed

Description: The Thoroughbred has a refined head, and a long neck, with well-defined withers, deep shoulder, strong chest, a short back and powerful hindquarters. Their back legs are very long, allowing them to reach and maintain speeds of around 40 mph (about 64 kph).

History: The Thoroughbred can trace its history back to 1 of 3 foundation stallions, the Byerly Turk, the Darley Arabian (some say Barb), and the Godolphin Arabian. These foundation sires were bred to the native English mares (who were used for racing, as several accounts say that they had Oriental blood in them). This pairing created a strong, fast horse that could carry weight, at high speeds, for long distances. From there, selective breeding of the fastest horses have created the breed you see today. Even as all Thoroughbreds are related to 1 of the foundation stallions, it is the Darley Arabians great-great grandson Eclipse that 80 percent of all modern Thoroughbreds are related to. The most popularly known heritage Thoroughbreds include the undefeated Flying Childers, son of the Darley Arab, Bulle Rock, the first Thoroughbred imported to the american colonies, among others. More modern racing Thoroughbred legends include Man 'O War, War Admiral, Seabiscuit, Seattle Slew, and of course, Secretariat.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Totina wrote:..
I'd be up to do some research for the following breeds:
• Würtemburger
• Sella Italiano
• Black Forest
• Florida Cracker
I can start with those and work towards others when done?
A wise man once said nothing at all.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Sawd10 wrote:
Totina wrote:..
I'd be up to do some research for the following breeds:
• Würtemburger
• Sella Italiano
• Black Forest
• Florida Cracker
Sure, I'll accept any help I can get with the research.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Totina wrote:
Sawd10 wrote: I'd be up to do some research for the following breeds:
• Würtemburger
• Sella Italiano
• Black Forest
• Florida Cracker
Sure, I'll accept any help I can get with the research.
Sounds good.

Würtemburger
ORIGIN:

The Württemberger, Baden-Württemberger or Württemberg is a Warmblood horse breed originating in Germany. They are primarily riding horses, and are selectively bred for dressage and show jumping.

The breed registry studbook was founded in 1895, and around 1896, the Marbach stud began concentrating on the original Württemberger type, which was a multi-purpose horse used for both draft and under-saddle work. The original horses were produced by introducing Arabian, Trakehner, Anglo-Norman, Friesian, Spanish, Barb, and Suffolk Punch blood to local warmblood lines. An Anglo-Norman stallion named Faust was a significant early influence on the breed, and contributed to the original shape of the breed. This type lasted until the mid-1950s, when Marbach recognized, and began breeding a lighter, more athletic horse for modern competition.

The Trakehner stallion Julmond (1943–1965) was the foundation stud of new type, and helped to shape the modern Baden Württemberger. Additions of Hanoverian, Holsteiner, Oldenburg, Thoroughbred and additional Trakehner blood helped to further refine the breed into its current form.

Breed Characteristics:

The best Württemberger horses have excellent temperaments, combining a sensible attitude with lively and free action. These traits may have originally been installed by the use of draft horse and Arabian blood. They are tough and economical to feed when compared to Thoroughbreds.

Features/Breed Looks:

The ideal Württemberger stands around 16.1 hands (65 inches, 165 cm) high, and is usually bay, chestnut, brown, or black in color. They have an average-sized head with a straight profile, a good neck, and prominent withers. Their chest is deep, the shoulders sloping and well-muscled, the back is long and straight and the croup sloping. They have muscular legs with hard, well-formed hooves.

Overall:

Features:
Average height 16.1 hands

Physique:
Head has a straight profile
Shoulders are sloping & powerful
Chest is deep & broad
Back is short & strong
Legs are short & muscular
Hooves are well formed and strong

Traditional Colors:
chestnut | black | bay | grey

Temperament:
Friendly attitude

Sella Italiano

ORIGIN:

The Sella Italiano is a breed of Italian horses that was developed mainly for the purpose of sports and other activities. These are horses that have been popularized with the active part and initiative of the Italian government. The association of this breed is in Italy, and is known as the ‘Associazione Cavallo Sella Sportivo Italiano’ (Italian Sports Horse Association for Sella Italiano).

The Sella Italiano was created with the aim to create a noble horse that would have the robustness of the English Thoroughbred horse, along with the reliability of the Italian equine breeds. Thus, the breed was developed with the bloods of the Thoroughbred, the Arabian, the Anglo-Arab Sardinians and the derivatives therefrom, as well as the Purosangue Orientale breeds by breeding them with the mares that are typical of the Italian peninsula having an aptitude for riding.

At present, it is estimated that, approximately 70% of these horses have been derived from English Thoroughbreds, 15% from the Sardinian Anglo-Arab, and 15% from mares from mares of other origins, including those that are Irish, German, French saddle, Polish, Hungarian, Dutch, Czechoslovakian, Russian, and of course the indigenous horses namely, Maremmano, Salernitano and Persano.

At present, before these horses are registered in the Stud Book, they must conform to a proven origin, making sure that, “there have upward of draft breeds until the third generation.” The sports and other activities conducted by the Herd Book estate of these horses are carried out under the supervision of the Ministry of Agricultural Food and Forestry Policies, and are regulated by a an independent disciplinary.

Breed Characteristics:

Other Names: Cavallo da Sella Italiano

Behavioral Characteristics: Noble, lively, willing, adaptable, docile

Physical Traits: Both colts and mares have well-defined body, slim but muscled structure and a delicate-looking frame; dense tail hair; external appearance is not homogeneous; measures to 60.8 inches at the withers; thin feet, small head and a narrow chest

Coat Colors: Bay, black, sorrel

Height/Size: 15.2 hands (adult)

Common Uses: Jumping, dressage, eventing, endurance

Type: Sport horse, Show horse

Blood Type: Warm

Ancestors (Bloodlines): Maremmano; Salernitano; Persano; Anglo Arabo Sardo; Purosangue Orientale; Arabian; Thoroughbred

Popular Traits: Multi-talented, excellent in jumping, easy trainability, durable

Country of Origin: Italy

Black Forest

ORIGIN:

The Black Forest Horse owes its name to its place of origin – the Black Forest in the Baden-Wurttemberg region of Germany. Approximately 600 years ago, this breed’s ancestors were sturdy, strong horses who worked in these highland farm areas. They were able to withstand harsh winters and were instrumental in local farmers’ ability to work the land.

The breed was carefully refined and preserved, and a studbook was established in 1896. By 1981, the Black Forest Horse’s numbers were declining, since evolving machinery and transportation models decreased the demand for these horses. Today, about 700 Black Forest Horse mares are registered.

Characteristics:

HEIGHT: 14.3 to 16 hands

WEIGHT: 1,250 to 1,400 pounds

BODY TYPE: Medium- to light-draft

BEST FOR: Driving and riding

This light to medium-weight draft horse typically weighs between 1,250 and 1,400 pounds. Mares average between 14.3 and 15.2 hands, while stallions may grow as large as 16 hands.

These draft horses are mainly used for driving, but they can also be ridden. When they compete, judges look for them to exhibit elegance and grace in all of their movements.

These horses sport chestnut coats paired with flaxen manes and tails. The coat can be any number of different shades, with some coats appearing to be almost black. The mane is thick and flowing, giving these horses a distinctive appearance.

The Black Forest Horse is known for its great temperament and beautiful movement, which differentiate it from other draft breeds. Its long-strided and elegant trot make it ideal not only for driving but also for riding. This breed tends to be agreeable and well-tempered, so it’s well-suited for many different drivers and riders.

Florida Cracker

ORIGIN:

Horses first arrived on the southeast North American mainland in 1521, brought by Ponce de León on his second trip to the region, where they were used by officers, scouts and livestock herders. Later expeditions brought more horses and cattle to Spanish Florida. By the late 16th century, horses were used extensively in the local cattle business and by the late 17th century the industry was flourishing, especially in what is now northern Florida and southern Georgia. The horses brought to North America by the Spanish and subsequently bred there included Barbs, Garranos, Spanish Jennets, Sorraias, Andalusians and other Iberian breeds. Overall, they were relatively small and had physical traits distinctive of Spanish breeds, including short backs, sloping shoulders, low set tails and wide foreheads.

The early cattle drivers, nicknamed Florida crackers and Georgia crackers, used these Spanish horses to drive cattle (eventually known as Florida Cracker cattle). The cowboys received their nickname from the distinctive cracking of their whips, and the name was transferred to both the horses they rode and the cattle they herded. Through their primary use as stock horses, the type developed into the Florida Cracker horse, known for its speed, endurance and agility. From the mid-16th century to the 1930s, this type was the predominant horse in the southeastern United States. During the American Civil War (1861–1865), both belligerents purchased large amounts of beef from Florida, and the Spanish horses bred there were highly desired as riding horses. During this time, there was also a continual introduction of new Spanish blood from Cuba, as horses were traded between the two areas. During the Dust Bowl (1930–1940), large western cattle were moved into Florida, bringing with them the parasitic screwworm. Cattle with this parasite needed to be treated frequently. The cowboys found that the Florida Cracker horses, bred for working smaller cattle, were not able to hold the western cattle. They replaced the smaller horses with American Quarter Horses. This resulted in the Florida breed almost becoming extinct.

The breed's survival during the 20th century is owed to a few families who continued to breed the Cracker horse and kept distinct bloodlines alive. John Law Ayers was one such breeder; in 1984, he donated his herd of pure-bred Cracker horses to the state of Florida. With them, the state started three small herds in Tallahassee, Withlacoochee State Forest and Paynes Prairie State Preserve. By 1989, however, these three herds and around 100 other horses owned by private families were all that remained of the breed. In 1989 the Florida Cracker Horse Association was founded and in 1991 a registry was established. After the registry was created, 75 horses designated as "foundation horses" and 14 of their offspring were immediately registered. These horses came mainly from four lines of Cracker bloodstock and were designated as purebreds by breed experts – partbred horses were denied entry to the registry. As of 2009, around 900 horses had been registered since the foundation of the registry.

Effective July 1, 2008, the Florida House of Representatives declared the Florida Cracker Horse the official state horse. As of 2009 there are three main bloodlines of Cracker stock, as well as a few smaller lines. The state of Florida still maintains two groups of Ayers-line horses in Tallahassee and Withlacoochee for breeding purposes and a display group in the Paynes Prairie Preserve. The state annually sells excess horses from all three herds, and individual breeders also send horses to the sale. The Livestock Conservancy considers the breed to be at "critical" status, as part of the Colonial Spanish Horse family, meaning that the estimated global population of the breed is fewer than 2,000 and there are fewer than 200 registrations annually in the United States. The Equus Survival Trust also considers the population to be "critical," meaning that there are between 100 and 300 active adult breeding mares in existence today. However, breed numbers are slowly on the rise.

Characteristics:

WEIGHT: 700 to 1,000 pounds

HEIGHT: 13.2 to 15.2 hands

BODY TYPE: Small body, short back, and sloping hips; short and well-defined jaw

BEST FOR: Saddle riding, families

Tell me if you need me to break it down so you can easily rewrite it or copy and paste it.
A wise man once said nothing at all.
Lakeside Stud
Visit My Farm

Post by Lakeside Stud »

Totina wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:That looks pretty good.

The family tree along the bottom will show the whole trek to be made to reach that breed? If that's the case, that will be one LONG family tree in some cases. Or are you restricting it to just the 'parent' breeds?
It will include everything. Will do some modifications to the existing ones to reduce the amount or scrolling needed but some breeds may not be possible to show the whole family tree in a good way.
Do you want me to do some research? Tell me which breeds if so and I’ll get on it x
carlWoof
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by carlWoof »

Auxois, Belgian Ardennais, Comtois, Poitevin, Suffolk Punch, Swedish Ardennais and Trait du Nord should be listed as draft breeds. They’re anything but light, in fact, they’re some of the heaviest and stockiest drafties out there :)

There are probably others i’ve missed.

Also, all draft breed entries say “Light horse breed” for some reason.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 10:09 pm

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:09 pm