Aela
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Thoughts on Conformation?

Post by Aela »

Argent II wrote:
Aela wrote: More than a total of -90 in conformation = rehoming

More than a total of -60 in conformation = rehoming
Not the best way to go about it. If a trait is not necessary for your chosen discipline, there's no reason to cull based on them. This guy is -20 overall, including the irrelevant Agility, Speed, and Stamina conformation, but +15 for just dressage attributes. This guy is -31 overall, but +6 for dressage traits, and as a dressage horse, he clearly isn't hurt by the -22 in agility.
No, possibly not. I do look at the stats i need, bur every time I have a horse with a total of more than -60, the stats I need are also affected. I have never experienced te opposite. I judge my horses carefully, and what I wrote was a simplified version. It's just the rough outline of hwo I do.

Edit:
And I apologize for possible autocorrected words in what i just wrote. Smartphones + bad eye sigte + Danish autocorrect equals a mess ;)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

So I've been having a go at this local showing business anddd I might have to side with Argent and say I'm not sure its so accurate... For example. This girl looks pretty poor on paper, not a great strength comment, fairly average conformation for a log pulling horse. Scored 34.05 with no training (average of 5 shows) in the local shows (very little variation between scores). Then this guy looks pretty good on paper, positive strength comment, fairly average others, good strong conformation. He managed to score 31.23 again from 5 attempts.

I'm not sure whether I should bother with this as a guide or not? I suppose once they get a bit older and more training is done it'll be easier to see the difference, but as far as a reliable time saver, I'm not so sure...
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Wait for it, this one makes even less sense! If I were to stick to my original plan, which in this case I'm not cause I think he's better than his score. I'd have to rehome this guy as he scored just 28.98 average, meaning he'd be losing overall at Level 3. But he has an excellent Log Pull conformation -6 overall and largely positive comments (except movement which is pretty dire...) I'm so confused :lol:
Skraythrax
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Skraythrax »

When conformation first came out, I looked at all of my horses and was very surprised at how bad they were. Mine typically do pretty well in the racing events. I decided that it was an impossible task to get "good" conformation and "noped" right out of there. It seems like all of the traits are backwards when comparing genetics with conformation. For example, Arabians out of the adoption center tend to have good stamina and poor tempo in the breeder's report. But when I checked out the conformation, they have poor stamina and good tempo! It is an infuriating problem! Eventually Argent put up her awesome dressage conformation project horses and I kind of changed my mind because it apparently can be done. The last couple foals I bred I payed really good attention to the parent's conformation and breeder's reports and there was some slight improvement, so it isn't hopeless. Now I am just waiting to upgrade my account again.
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

Roughly put: the priority for culling should go Local Shows over Breeder Report over Conformation. Breeder Reports factor in conformation; your horse cannot be any worse than the report states. Local Shows and showing in general factor in all the secret stuff that even I haven't quite figured out, so that trumps everything, but you can't use them if you aren't going to actually train your horses.

Horses from the AC are essentially designed to make you work for it. Belgians have excellent strength genes but terrible strength conformation, but if you work at it, you can get a Belgian to have green strength. The meters on the AC pages tell you the breeds' genetic capabilities, and you have to breed to maximize it.

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 17, 2024 3:34 pm

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:34 pm