Community Forum

Tarpan

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Re: Tarpan

Post by WILD FLICKA »

ShadowDale wrote:.
I'm pretty sure feathers are dominant because I only seem to get them when the parents have them. They follow the leg color in the sense that bay horses have black legs so in turn black feathers, but if you have a flaxen horse the feathers turn lighter. All depends on the color of your horse. Most all Tarpans are bay dun and have black feathers.
ShadowDale
Visit My Farm

Post by ShadowDale »

I had a few with striped heels of white with black stripes so I was wondering if a cross may have striped or multicolor feathers
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

ShadowDale wrote:Advice on who to cull from my breeding program and how?

Any advice is appreciated, and if anyone wants cheap Tarpan colts I should have some, but they get rehomed for space if they dont sell fast. However, I think my "Doc" at $100 stud fee is a better stud than any colt I've got from him yet.
I've recently started focusing on on Tarpans more as well. I'm noticing the movement for mine is what really needs improvement. I've started putting almost all colts up for sale unless they mange to be better than my current best. I'm breeding for stats related to Dressage at the moment but I'm considering changing it to something more suited for light horse breeds. I'm not paying attention so much to the conformation stuff, since I'm not uprgraded and stas more important to me right now. That will probably come into play more for me later. So far I've managed to keep my COI at 0% for the most part but as Flicka said, that makes the process even slower.

I'm not trying for feathers since my ultimate goal breed doesn't carry them but I do have stallion with light feathers for sale, although his GP is pretty low.

No Reds
GP 35.449
5* Tarpan
4* Altai, Chinese Pony, Dulmen, Hucul, Icelandic Pony, Mongolian,
3* Bashkir, Exmoor, Manipuri, Tibetan Pony

On a side note, I have a few Przewalskis, too, as well as some Mongolians.
ShadowDale
Visit My Farm

Post by ShadowDale »

I started with Tarpans & Prezwalskis thinking to recreated down to gypsy vanners, and it'd be cool to keep the feathers and stripes all the way down to get some nice flashy Vanners. I really am refocusing on trying to get the best stats for Tarpans for the foreseeable future since I have plenty of breeds I'd like to eventually fiddle with, and a good base horse breed will help out every other breed. So far Tempo seems pretty easy to get some greens out of, but strength and movement are definitely weaker than the other traits. I'd think you'd really need to work on movement if you're doing dressage, although the tempo stats should help.
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Post by WILD FLICKA »

This guy I'll open up for cheap stud to help you guys out as well.
Roan Zebra
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

I upgraded my account this morning and I've been doing a bit of farm clear out. I've got some Tarpans for sale so I put them up for offers only. If you guys want any of them them just offer whatever. I'll put them up for public sale if no one offers on them. I just wanted to give you guys first shot. On Monday, I'll accept any offers and I'll probably have a few other breeds or crosses to get rid of but I'll put them in a sales thread.

Sugar Rosebud

GP 34.367
COI 0%
Dressage 38.6/55.4
5* Tarpan
4* Riwoche, Tibetan Pony
Speed 8
Strength 21
Stamina 38
Balance 38
Movement 39
Agility 20
Tempo 24

Paddy Poof

GP 37.959
COI 20.3%
Marathon Driving 32.5/50.8
5* Bashkir
4* Altai, Chinese Pony, Exmoor, Hucul, Riwoche, Tibetan Pony
Speed 21
Strength 23
Stamina 39
Balance 36
Movement 39
Agility 32
Tempo 30

Glass Turtle

GP 35.103
COI 4.82%
Dressage 41.4/51.8
5* Tarpan, Riwoche, Altai
4* Tibetan Pony, Hucul, Exmoor, Chinese Pony, Bashkir
Speed 11
Strength 20
Stamina 40
Balance 34
Movement 36
Agility 23
Tempo 26

Spanish Encounter

GP 39.313
COI 4.82%
Western Pleasure 48.6/56.9
5* Bashkir
4* Chinese Pony, Exmoor, Hucul, Tibetan Pony
Speed 16
Strength 26
Stamina 36
Balance 38
Movement 41
Agility 20
Tempo 23
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

I thought this might be of use to you guys so I'm sharing.

Tarpan Crossbreeding List

This is a of all the breeds created with Pureblood Tarpans by crosses (i.e [Tarpan x Turkmene]).Under each cross, you will find the breeds created with that particular pairing. Breeds created by two different Tarpan crosses are listed under both pairings. If you find I am missing a cross pairing please let me know.

Tarpan x Belgian
Norman Cob = [ Tarpan x Belgian ] x [ Forest Horse x Belgian ]

Tarpan x Caspian
Esperia Pony = [ Caspian x Tarpan ] x [ Murgese x Salerno ]
Timor Pony = [ Caspian x Tarpan ] x [ Caspian x Mongolian ]

Tarpan x Mongolian
Albanian = [ Arabian x Turkmene ] x [ Tarpan x Mongolian ]
Altai = Tarpan x [ Tarpan x Mongolian ]
Bali = [ Tarpan x Mongolian ] xJava
Northlands = [ Tarpan x Mongolian ] x [ Exmoor Pony x Konik ]
Sorraia = [ Tarpan x Mongolian ] x [ Tarpan x West African Barb ]

Tarpan x Fell
Merens Pony = [ Tarpan x Fell ] xFriesian

Tarpan x Forest Horse
Zhemaichu = [ Tarpan x Forest Horse ] x [ Arabian x Konik ]

Tarpan x North African Barb
Bosnian Pony = [ North African Barb x Tarpan ]
Sorraia = [ Tarpan x Mongolian ] x [ Tarpan x West African Barb ]

Tarpan x Pindos
Aenos = Pindos Pony x [ Tarpan x Pindos Pony ]
Tarpan x Przewalski
redster
Visit My Farm

Post by redster »

Hilayla wrote:.
This is a really helpful list! I'm aiming for Sorraia next, on my way up to Campolina, so it's nice to see what else I might be able to unlock while I'm at it.

I'm also going to be looking for quite a few Tarpans to stud with as I go, since I haven't been able to keep a reliable herd of them myself so far. I'll be checking out the markeplace, but if there are particular studs with decent stats and high ratings in other breeds, I'm always interested in checking them out.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

redster wrote:
Hilayla wrote:.
This is a really helpful list! I'm aiming for Sorraia next, on my way up to Campolina, so it's nice to see what else I might be able to unlock while I'm at it.
Thanks. I'm thinking of doing it for all the foundation breeds but it's a bit time consuming even if it's not really hard. I started this listi because I thought it could be useful in the sales and stud ads of my horses so people can see the possibilities when shopping. Sometimes knowing what a certain cross can create is the determining factor between two similarly statted horses. Might help crosses sell a little better.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

Hey guys, I was just looking at the breeds descended from Tarpans and went and bought almost all of the evaluation books for those breeds. There are three I still need to get but I blew through my cash buying the rest so it will most likely be a week or so before I get the last three.

Anyway, my point is, if you would like an evaluation for your horses and don't have the book drop me a message or ping me and I'll be glad to do it you.

The books I DO NOT have (with prices rounded up) are NTB Northlands 12k; Western Sudan 8k

EDIT: I now have all but two of the Eval books for breeds descended from Tarpans. I should have the last two by the end of the week. :D
Last edited by Hilayla on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 7:38 am

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:38 am