Community Forum

unexpected coat :)

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
MichelleRoddy3110
Visit My Farm

Re: unexpected coat :)

Post by MichelleRoddy3110 »

Raikit wrote:
MichelleRoddy3110 wrote: Fancy Belle

if you go back about 3 generations on the sires side of things you have a palomino mare in their and the mares mother is i think a cremello or something along those lines so i would say thats where your coloring came its just been recessive for a while and you breed a pair that turned it into a dominant gene
There is no way for a recessive gene to "turn into" a dominant gene. Unless a horse is black, cream will always affect a horse's adult coat. Neither of this mare's parents are black (both are chestnut-based) and neither has any appearance of the cream gene, therefore this mare will not have it either. The palomino three gens back in her pedigree was bred with a chestnut stallion to produce a chestnut foal - she did not pass her cream on.

Also the mare's mother is a red dun, not a cremello. Here is the mother:

And here is a cremello (albeit with some sooty on his bum):

they may have produced a chestnut foal but it doesn't mean that the foal is not a carrier of the gene and so if you bred said gene carrier to a horse that doesn't carry the gene there is a chance that the foal produced would possibly be a carrier as well or if bred to another gene carrier that the out-coming foal could be actually showing the gene instead of just carrying it. Now for a recessive gene to become like a dominant gene there would have to be two recessive genes and no dominant gene to over power them thats what i meant.Also i wasn't saying that this mares mom is cremello i was saying the palominos mom was cremello. http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/691510 this is the cremello i was talking about
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: unexpected coat :)

Post by Raikit »

MichelleRoddy3110 wrote:
Raikit wrote:
There is no way for a recessive gene to "turn into" a dominant gene. Unless a horse is black, cream will always affect a horse's adult coat. Neither of this mare's parents are black (both are chestnut-based) and neither has any appearance of the cream gene, therefore this mare will not have it either. The palomino three gens back in her pedigree was bred with a chestnut stallion to produce a chestnut foal - she did not pass her cream on.

Also the mare's mother is a red dun, not a cremello. Here is the mother:

And here is a cremello (albeit with some sooty on his bum):

they may have produced a chestnut foal but it doesn't mean that the foal is not a carrier of the gene and so if you bred said gene carrier to a horse that doesn't carry the gene there is a chance that the foal produced would possibly be a carrier as well or if bred to another gene carrier that the out-coming foal could be actually showing the gene instead of just carrying it. Now for a recessive gene to become like a dominant gene there would have to be two recessive genes and no dominant gene to over power them thats what i meant.Also i wasn't saying that this mares mom is cremello i was saying the palominos mom was cremello. http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/691510 this is the cremello i was talking about
But cream is not a recessive gene. If a horse has cream (unless it is a black base) you will always be able to see it affect the coat in some manner. A single cream will always turn a chestnut coat into palomino (or dunalino, palomino pearl, gold cream, etc). Yes, the horse in question is a cremello. Yes, her daughter that is in the pedigree is a palomino. But the son of the palomino is a chestnut with no visible dilutions. Therefore he either carries pearl (which is not the same as cream, and which at the very least his dam, the palomino, does not have because pearl and cream will interact with each other) or he does not have any dilutions.

And again, a recessive gene does not become dominant. It will be expressed if there are two copies of it, but that does not make it dominant.

To sum up: Cream is a dominant gene (or incomplete dominant if you want to get really picky). It does not hide, except on a black coat. Pearl is a recessive gene (co-dominant with cream) and will hide. Cream and Pearl are not the same thing. Cremello is caused by cream, not pearl. Because cream does not hide, the cream that the mares in question expressed does not affect the mare from the beginning of this topic.

(Italics and bold for emphasis, not trying to be mean.)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 8:43 pm

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:43 pm