Community Forum

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote: I'd love to breed some of my mares to him! :)
Feel free to PM me when you'd like to use him and I can set him up.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Not so much of a progress but I thought I'd share it anyway. This filly has a nice pattern on the head that almost looks like a star.

ℬℳ Thaumasia
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:Not so much of a progress but I thought I'd share it anyway. This filly has a nice pattern on the head that almost looks like a star.
I like a lot of these pseudo markings we get from Lp.
I haven't had anything to report either and I was just wondering where we were last at...
One of my favorite pseudo markings I keep getting in my herd is the pseudo coronet bands.

I do wonder where they come from though.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:
I like a lot of these pseudo markings we get from Lp.
I haven't had anything to report either and I was just wondering where we were last at...
One of my favorite pseudo markings I keep getting in my herd is the pseudo coronet bands.

I do wonder where they come from though.
It looks like a little bit of feathering on the legs that has the same lighter colour as the mane and tail. I got a similar example on one of my snowflake stallions:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote: It looks like a little bit of feathering on the legs that has the same lighter colour as the mane and tail. I got a similar example on one of my snowflake stallions:
I should have known that... In fact, I think I did know that, at one point.
I'm feeling a bit dense right now. :D

Oh, I did find out one thing, although I'm thinking we probably already knew this.

Spot densities are handled for each type of spot separately.

This one's a great example of how the large spots are clear from some of the areas while the tiny spots are still present.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:

Oh, I did find out one thing, although I'm thinking we probably already knew this.

This one's a great example of how the large spots are clear from some of the areas while the tiny spots are still present.
That's interesting. I haven't really thought about spot density other than snowflakes. But I have found out there seems to be some genes for spot size on snowflakes as well.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

That's interesting. I haven't really thought about spot density other than snowflakes. But I have found out there seems to be some genes for spot size on snowflakes as well.
I wonder, if, like the leopard spots, the snowflake spots can be layered with multiple size snowflakes on the same horse?

I haven't yet found any relation between snowflake genes and leopard spot genes. They don't seem to share, for instance, density commands; certainly not area of occurrence commands.
Not that I'd expect the genes to overlap, but if any of them did, I suspect by now that we'd see some sort of patterns develop somewhere.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I think I just answered my own question.
Although this horse may not stick around, here's what I see:

Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:I think I just answered my own question.
Although this horse may not stick around, here's what I see:

I have seen a few cases with different sized snowflakes, the horse I linked earlier with the feathered legs is one of them. Although I have seen even smaller snowflakes like the one I have used in my coat colour guide:

It also seems like snowflakes can appear randomly even if the parents don't seem to be carrying any snowflakes. These random uccurences only affect one small area though like this horse:

Just as you stated the areas where snowflakes appear seem to be random and not connected to any genes like the ones for white spread.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
I have seen a few cases with different sized snowflakes, the horse I linked earlier with the feathered legs is one of them. Although I have seen even smaller snowflakes like the one I have used in my coat colour guide:

It also seems like snowflakes can appear randomly even if the parents don't seem to be carrying any snowflakes. These random uccurences only affect one small area though like this horse:

Just as you stated the areas where snowflakes appear seem to be random and not connected to any genes like the ones for white spread.
The random appearance of snowflakes I've noticed as well. They remind me of those bird spots, popping up out of nowhere and affecting a very random, very isolated spot.

I've also noticed, although I haven't worked much with only snowflake genes, that these random snowflake appearances seem to pop up from Lp spot lines. The one snowflaked stud I did have didn't seem to throw any of the random flake appearance foals. But then again, he might have not carried any of these disappearing flake genes.

I wonder if we are dealing with two different types of snowflakes like we thought might be the case near the beginning. One that's 'connected' to Lp spots, the ones that will sometimes show up when the blanket disappears, and one that's not 'connected' to the Lp spots, these have an entirely different set of genes and gene types that make random flakes appear.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, I don't remember seeing any snowflakes in any of the spots. I remember and have a few with flakes butted up and riding the edges of spots, but I don't recall any in.
Maybe I'll have to go through my herd, see if I can find any.

The bad thing with spreading the white is that all the snowflakes disappear... LOL
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 12:38 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:38 pm