Community Forum

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote: Nice! While I am working on getting that area covered I am also working on getting the right hind leg completely covered in white and eliminate any genes from my herd that do not produce that white area, just like this horse:

My horses are great for the back leg (see stallion below). If you'd like to use one of my boys to help with that area let me know.

Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:
My horses are great for the back leg (see stallion below). If you'd like to use one of my boys to help with that area let me know.

That would definitely be very helpful! Even though i have quite a few horses with good white coverage on the back leg it would just be a good thing to add more genes to my relatively small herd.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote: That would definitely be very helpful! Even though i have quite a few horses with good white coverage on the back leg it would just be a good thing to add more genes to my relatively small herd.
He's up if you feel like using him. :) And I agree - new genes are always good. The horses from my main program seemed to all be Belgian, Shetland, Forest Horse, and North African Barb. So I'm working on adding Turkmene right now and will add others later.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:
He's up if you feel like using him. :) And I agree - new genes are always good. The horses from my main program seemed to all be Belgian, Shetland, Forest Horse, and North African Barb. So I'm working on adding Turkmene right now and will add others later.
Thank you! My current goal is to combine a completely white back leg with the white front leg before I start adding AC horses to my herd. I want a good foundation of genes across the whole body to make it easier to see which areas you can get from any AC horse if you bred them to a horse that has all of the "good" genes we have found so far.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote:""
BlackOak2 wrote:""
I don't know if either of you is interested in trying him, but this Turkmene stallion has been rather interesting. He hasn't added white anywhere new that I can tell but his foals have a lot more white than I would have expected from the cross. He also throws TONS of snowflakes.

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I really want this to mean something but I know that it almost certainly doesn't. But check out how this mare's snowflakes on her neck follow the line of her large white pattern:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:I really want this to mean something but I know that it almost certainly doesn't. But check out how this mare's snowflakes on her neck follow the line of her large white pattern:

That really came out cute!
Those NAB I picked up to work with, didn't enlighten me to any new data. In fact, they didn't even offer any confirmation to what they could have(possible less snowflake spread and possible less density of spots). Here are the foals from the stallion:
Dark Tides

Tidal Firestorm

Rainy Torrent

Idol Awash

And this is the one I got from the mare, she's being difficult and has thrown 4 solids and only one pattern:
Wisteria Lord

I have to run through this generation, breed a couple from these two lines together and see if they offer anything additional. My next will be a return to the arabian, but that might not be until next week.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I wonder - could snowflakes be part of the key to PATN? I notice that on a lot of our horses with big pattern there are very few snowflakes. I'm just wondering if they're somehow related - like how we were talking about two snowflakes equally a blanket earlier.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I suppose it's possible. I do have very few snowflakes in my herd. They pop up occasionally, so I can't say I'm snowflake free, but I don't have a lot of snowflake expression on any of my herd.
Those foals I just posted above represent about what my herd has... except I also see now that there is more appearing on them.

So what's your theory? More snowflakes could equal greater white spread?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Honestly I'm not sure. I need to look into a bit more. The Turkmene crosses I've kept had a lot more white than I expected and also had snowflakes. So I don't know if there's a correlation or if I'm just woolgathering. I suppose I should keep one of the ones with less white and let it grow up to see if it has flakes.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 11:51 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:51 pm