Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: AC Glitch Horses

Post by BlackOak2 »

Diamond Filly wrote:
Silverine wrote:
Check her out. I wish we could get silver blacks in this color (+tail). I've seen a few really dark silver browns that come close but nothing quite this dark. My guess is she's some sort of silver since NABs don't come in grey.
Is this really a glitch? I've bred a few NABs with grey manes and tails (if that is the glitch you're speaking of).
Not quite the same as the horse you posted, but similar
This boy has a grey mane and tail, but I doubt it's a glitch
I sold a few roan horses with grey manes, but I can't locate them now.
The one pictured:

Is a silver bay.
When she was pulled from the AC, she was sporting this coat:
This coat, is a glitch coat.
Glitch Coats [with one exception] only come from the AC. So if you bred a horse that you think has a glitch coat, it's almost certainly is not a glitch coat. :D

This horse:
~AmGace~ Stash of Tulips

Is a silver smoky brown tobiano. The gray mane and tail is from the silver gene. :D Makes for a very pretty contrast.

This horse:
~AmGrace~ African Dawn

Is also a silver express-er. Except this one is paired with the black base coat and has been affected by that silver gene over the entire body. When black is paired with silver, you get these silver bodies as well as a silver mane and tail. Your horse is a silver dapple tobiano. He is displaying one of three ways that we can develop 'dappled' horses. :D And it also appears he carries a cream gene, so make that a smoky silver dapple tobiano.

So, you're two horses here are not glitches. Pretty all the same. 8-)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Diamond Filly wrote: Is this really a glitch? I've bred a few NABs with grey manes and tails (if that is the glitch you're speaking of).
Not quite the same as the horse you posted, but similar
This boy has a grey mane and tail, but I doubt it's a glitch
I sold a few roan horses with grey manes, but I can't locate them now.
The one pictured:

Is a silver bay.
When she was pulled from the AC, she was sporting this coat:
This coat, is a glitch coat.
Glitch Coats [with one exception] only come from the AC. So if you bred a horse that you think has a glitch coat, it's almost certainly is not a glitch coat. :D

This horse:
~AmGace~ Stash of Tulips

Is a silver smoky brown tobiano. The gray mane and tail is from the silver gene. :D Makes for a very pretty contrast.

This horse:
~AmGrace~ African Dawn

Is also a silver express-er. Except this one is paired with the black base coat and has been affected by that silver gene over the entire body. When black is paired with silver, you get these silver bodies as well as a silver mane and tail. Your horse is a silver dapple tobiano. He is displaying one of three ways that we can develop 'dappled' horses. :D And it also appears he carries a cream gene, so make that a smoky silver dapple tobiano.

So, you're two horses here are not glitches. Pretty all the same. 8-)
Wow, okay.
Are there horses like that in real life? I've never seen one. I've also never heard of those color names, such as smoky silver dapple tobiano. But I guess that doesn't mean it isn't real.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Diamond Filly wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Are there horses like that in real life? I've never seen one. I've also never heard of those color names, such as smoky silver dapple tobiano. But I guess that doesn't mean it isn't real.
Yes, there are horses with that color in real life.

It is controlled by the Silver gene, represented by the letter Z for dominant silver and z for recessive non-silver. The gene only affects black pigment so a red-based horse that has a silver gene will not be affected by it. On a horse with black pigment the silver gene most heavily affects the mane and tail, turning them a light shade varying from cream to bright white. On bay and brown horses the black pigment on the body and legs is usually diluted to a chocolatey color. On black horses the expression varies from turning the whole body a chocolate/brown color to turning the body a steely dark gray with dapples. Some silver black horses are so dark that they still appear black.

The silver gene is most common in the Rocky Mountain Horse, and is responsible for the classic "chocolate" color of the RMH breed:

The gene is sometimes called the Silver Dapple gene because it can cause dapples on black. You can see a few dapples on my silver black neighbor pony:

At times the dapples do not appear in the coat but are visible when the horse is clipped:

At other times the horse can have very intense dappling:

Most horses are somewhere in-between. Here's another silver black:

And here is a very lovely example of a silver bay. Note how the red of the body is unaffected by the silver, but the legs are chocolate and the mane and tail are near white.

And here is the best example I could find of a silver brown:

And lastly a silver buckskin:
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

Silverine wrote:
Diamond Filly wrote: Are there horses like that in real life? I've never seen one. I've also never heard of those color names, such as smoky silver dapple tobiano. But I guess that doesn't mean it isn't real.

It is controlled by the Silver gene, represented by the letter Z for dominant silver and z for recessive non-silver. The gene only affects black pigment so a red-based horse that has a silver gene will not be affected by it. On a horse with black pigment the silver gene most heavily affects the mane and tail, turning them a light shade varying from cream to bright white. On bay and brown horses the black pigment on the body and legs is usually diluted to a chocolatey color. On black horses the expression varies from turning the whole body a chocolate/brown color to turning the body a steely dark gray with dapples. Some silver black horses are so dark that they still appear black.

The silver gene is most common in the Rocky Mountain Horse, and is responsible for the classic "chocolate" color of the RMH breed:

The gene is sometimes called the Silver Dapple gene because it can cause dapples on black. You can see a few dapples on my silver black neighbor pony:

At times the dapples do not appear in the coat but are visible when the horse is clipped:

And here is a very lovely example of a silver bay. Note how the red of the body is unaffected by the silver, but the legs are chocolate and the mane and tail are near white.

Wow, thanks for all this info! I forgot about Rocky Mountain Horses.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Got a shetland that wasn't a glitch at first:
4 years.

Then at 7 years, decided she was.

And finally, at 10, wanted her original coat back! :lol:

Horse link: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3884200
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Got a gorgeous one here!
A double overlay.

Beautiful proof that it's a false coat from another horse that's overlain on another.

Take note that the mane (and tail) appear nominally unaffected.

At 4 years:
I had a suspicion that she might've been a glitch, but I couldn't pass up on the back leg that was absent that weird handprint area.

And at 9 years, she popped up in the pasture, looking like this:

I may have to empty out my cache to fix this. But for now, I'll wait another 'year' to see what her tenth birthday does. :mrgreen:

Looks like @ ten, she wanted her original coat back! :lol:

BlackOak2's Quick-Links
prplebird20
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

Just picked up this really pretty glitch, I think her color combo is super cool
Pixel
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

^^
So, So eye-catching!
*yet another that would be great if we could reproduce through breeding*
;-;
:lol:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Tree farms
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tree farms »

Silverine wrote:
Diamond Filly wrote: Are there horses like that in real life? I've never seen one. I've also never heard of those color names, such as smoky silver dapple tobiano. But I guess that doesn't mean it isn't real.

I have 2 horses IRL that look like the first 2 pictures combined lol.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 17, 2024 2:48 pm

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 2:48 pm