Community Forum

Greying on Gold Champagne

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Greying on Gold Champagne

Post by JillJessie1997 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
JillJessie1997 wrote:
Got another one....this one's mom is classic champagne with varnish and her dad is a mealy palomino blanket. when this girl turned 1 I put her down as a smoky black as she was lighter around her muzzle, yet black everywhere else, and she was born dark grey. Now as I use my turns she is lightening back to the color she was born....is there a sun effect on horses' coats in this game (sun faded, etc) or is she really a dark brown? She kinda looks like a darker version of classic champagne but she doesn't have champagne, so....

All horses with the Lp gene (leopard complex), will varnish. So regardless of adult coat at one year, they will begin to lighten as they age.
Although I think this filly is also displaying that bronzing that affects only black coats with the leopard complex gene. Bronzing is described quite thoroughly and well (I didn't understand bronzing either), by Silverine near the bottom of the fist page in theLeopard Pattern discussion.
Though I don't know if she inherited a single cream gene, I can at least agree that she is definitely black.
I skimmed over the guide and it already makes a little bit more sense.
I'm not sure if she has a cream gene either. What I do know is she definitely ain't champagne. :P

Not a color question, but isn't this guy awesome?! He inherited the chestnut base from his father as well as the greying gene. The extended blanket with the appaloosa spotting and varnish is from his mom's side. I just posted him for stud for $3k, we'll see how it goes :P
Only thing I don't care for is those ears....:lol:
Stand up for what's right even if you're standing alone.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

JillJessie1997 wrote:
I'm not sure if she has a cream gene either. What I do know is she definitely ain't champagne. :P

Not a color question, but isn't this guy awesome?! He inherited the chestnut base from his father as well as the greying gene. The extended blanket with the appaloosa spotting and varnish is from his mom's side. I just posted him for stud for $3k, we'll see how it goes :P
Though I really like those long ears, the really short ears are really cute too.

He is a decent looking horse.
I was just wondering last night if we can develop a line of leopard complex horses that...
1: don't offer any white to view the spotting
2: varnish out wholly to view the spots hidden underneath a 'solid' coat
3: have spots covering most or all of the body.

Though the stallion has only so much white showing, his spots cover him from almost his neck and all the way down his barrel and back legs.

Although, he will eventually loose all his spotting under the graying gene and will eventually look like a grayed horse or a fleabitten horse.
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by JillJessie1997 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
JillJessie1997 wrote:

Though I really like those long ears, the really short ears are really cute too.

He is a decent looking horse.
I was just wondering last night if we can develop a line of leopard complex horses that...
1: don't offer any white to view the spotting
2: varnish out wholly to view the spots hidden underneath a 'solid' coat
3: have spots covering most or all of the body.

Though the stallion has only so much white showing, his spots cover him from almost his neck and all the way down his barrel and back legs.

Although, he will eventually loose all his spotting under the graying gene and will eventually look like a grayed horse or a fleabitten horse.
I didn't go out of my way to breed a horse with the looks of him, I was actually bought his sire because I like grays and I was sick of chestnut/chestnut duns/chestnut dun blankets/et cetera in my Arabian project; he's actually the brother of the filly this topic was originally about.
I don't know all the ins and outs of the leopard genes, just the basics. That would be a neat line to try to work with though.
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by JillJessie1997 »

BlackOak2 wrote:Ping

Here's another to color type...:lol: Clogging up my own topic.
Her mom is gold cream and her father is the same mealy palomino blanket.

She didn't inherit champagne.
I think she has two copies of the cream gene....light color eyes and a pale gold to her coat (a very light palomino perhaps?)

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

JillJessie1997 wrote:

I think she has two copies of the cream gene....light color eyes and a pale gold to her coat (a very light palomino perhaps?)
A palomino (one cream gene) becomes a cremello when they have two cream genes. So you would be correct.
It does look like she may also have inherited her father's pangare (mealy). There is a ghosting whiter-like area the may be attributed it to pangare around her eye and a line down to her nostril, as well as a lightening of the skin at her flank. But, she's so light, that could also be just the cremello.
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by JillJessie1997 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
JillJessie1997 wrote:

A palomino (one cream gene) becomes a cremello when they have two cream genes. So you would be correct.
It does look like she may also have inherited her father's pangare (mealy). There is a ghosting whiter-like area the may be attributed it to pangare around her eye and a line down to her nostril, as well as a lightening of the skin at her flank. But, she's so light, that could also be just the cremello.
I didn't take that to be mealy just that's she so light. Thanks for the help again :lol: Also, would her markings be considered an extended snow cap (if such a thing exists) - because it is shaped like a snow cap - or would it just be termed a blanket?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

JillJessie1997 wrote:
I didn't take that to be mealy just that's she so light. Thanks for the help again :lol: Also, would her markings be considered an extended snow cap (if such a thing exists) - because it is shaped like a snow cap - or would it just be termed a blanket?
I could be wrong with the pangare, it could just be that she's so light.

Some of the appaloosa descriptive wording is a little open for preference. Basically, the blanket runs along the spine and near leopard is spots almost everywhere else. So in that case it depends on where your definition for near leopard lands you. Fewspot is indicative of two Lp genes.
For me, this is my definitions for the appaloosa verbiage:
snowcap : coloring just on the hips, like a snow-capped mountain peak
blanket: along the spine, hips and down the back legs, but doesn't spot the underside of the stomach, shoulders or neck
near leopard: coloring for snowcap, blanket with extension onto the underside of the stomach or front legs or extension onto the neck and beyond.
fewspot: snowcap, blanket or near leopard with two Lp genes

Some people call snowcap as a hip blanket with two Lp genes.

As for the filly, I personally would call her a fewspot near leopard.
Raikit
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

JillJessie1997 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:Ping
Raikit wrote:Ping
Got another one....this one's mom is classic champagne with varnish and her dad is a mealy palomino blanket. when this girl turned 1 I put her down as a smoky black as she was lighter around her muzzle, yet black everywhere else, and she was born dark grey. Now as I use my turns she is lightening back to the color she was born....is there a sun effect on horses' coats in this game (sun faded, etc) or is she really a dark brown? She kinda looks like a darker version of classic champagne but she doesn't have champagne, so....

She is black with a snowcap, varnish, and appaloosa bronzing. She did not inherit cream. (Her foal picture is too red for her to be smoky. Smoky foals are more blue.)
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by JillJessie1997 »

Raikit wrote:
JillJessie1997 wrote:

She is black with a snowcap, varnish, and appaloosa bronzing. She did not inherit cream. (Her foal picture is too red for her to be smoky. Smoky foals are more blue.)
I kinda figured she didn't inherit cream - doesn't have light color eyes or anything (I saved my newly founded knowledge in my notes :P). I do not see the red in her foal picture, looks like the dark grey foal under the "Smoky Black" in Totina's guide to me, that's why I put her down as such. The black horse as pictured in the guide had no mealy around her muzzle like this girl did either - solid black all throughout the coat. But hehe, I'm still learning. Thanks for the reply :)
Raikit
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

JillJessie1997 wrote: I kinda figured she didn't inherit cream - doesn't have light color eyes or anything (I saved my newly founded knowledge in my notes :P). I do not see the red in her foal picture, looks like the dark grey foal under the "Smoky Black" in Totina's guide to me, that's why I put her down as such. The black horse as pictured in the guide had no mealy around her muzzle like this girl did either - solid black all throughout the coat. But hehe, I'm still learning. Thanks for the reply :)
For reference:
BlackSmoky Black
ImageImage
Darker, more red, almost like a dark liver chestnut.Lighter, less red and more blue-ish, like a dark steel grey.
As adults black and smoky blacks are indistinguishable (unless they have bronzing, in which case I'll refer you to the bronzing guide that BlackOak2 linked to). Cream has no effect on an adult black coat.
Last edited by Raikit on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 24, 2024 7:23 am

It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 7:23 am