Community Forum

The game's economy

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: The game's economy

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Tjigra wrote:Just a quick thought while reading the previous reply - there is generally no such thing as "good horse" in HWO (at least in my opinion). With main emphasis for most of the players being breeding (either creating breeds or breeding for specific trait, colour, whatever) - we each have very different ideas about what is good and what isn't. Those 20hh 7 gold Arabians are good horses for sure, but not for me, because I am trying to breed a 15hh downhill Arabians. I'd rather pay a small fortune for a 14hh pony type Arabian regardless of its HGP or stat colours - something that most others would find completely useless. So, quoting an economist whose name I can't remember - everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And noone can blame others for asking too much or offering too little - that's market, you have to meet in the middle or find someone else who is asking less or offering more. Very free market economy, I'd say :)
Not a fan of the 20 hh arabs (going for the 14 - 15 hh dishy ones or Mighty Mites) myself (though I have used them for improvement of other breeds), but if you (or anyone) have a 7 gold stat stallion of any breed or a grade, I will happily pay 100 mil for it.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
hikko49
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by hikko49 »

reading the whole subject is interesting but I have this feeling that most of the participants leave in a different world.

maybe it's because I don't go for the most popular breeds but I'm usually happy if I manage to sell a horse for 1500 $.
and even if I price them at ridiculously low prices (from 1500 to as low as 1 $), they stay on the marketplace for ever...
and they are not downright "horrible" horses ( no grades, I rehome horses with reds consistently, try to keep a decent coi...)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

hikko49 wrote:reading the whole subject is interesting but I have this feeling that most of the participants leave in a different world.

maybe it's because I don't go for the most popular breeds but I'm usually happy if I manage to sell a horse for 1500 $.
and even if I price them at ridiculously low prices (from 1500 to as low as 1 $), they stay on the marketplace for ever...
and they are not downright "horrible" horses ( no grades, I rehome horses with reds consistently, try to keep a decent coi...)
There was a time that I attempted to sell my 'done breeding' horses. That was long ago. I stopped because like you, they would sit around until they actually aged out. Thus if a foal is born now that doesn't fit what I need, I cull it and I now have age-out pastures that keep my 'done breeding' horses until they die naturally. In fact, this has worked out better for me.
If you do want to be successful at selling your stock, you will have to find not only your niche for yourself, but a niche in the community as well. For rare or otherwise 'unwanted' stock, the best way is to produce a line of strong competitive performers, record breakers, topped-out HGP (65,000 and better), or at least 5 gold with good other comments.
I have found that in cases separate from that, ginders sell the best, those horses that are fully trained with proven (though not necessarily good), competition records.
Surprisingly, I have found that usable quest-type horses (also known as breed-producers), do not sell all that well. In this case, it's perhaps much more lucrative to have a standing, proven stud then producing broods to sell. These would also have to fall into one of the 'unwanted' stock sections to sell, just like others.

That has been my experience.
Royale Ranch
Visit My Farm
Location: Driving, Photographing or Playing the Piano (or maybe actually working)
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale Ranch »

As with any form of 'sale', advertising works... a horse, no matter if it is either a rare breed or a competition friendly make, will likely go much sooner, and for a higher price if it is advertised on the forum rather than just being put up on the market.

personal opinion of course, but another factor that influences my personal buying options is the buy now/offers solution. most of the time, i avoid the offers only sales because of sheer convenience. if im looking for a horse, i want it right at the time when im looking for it, not a week later. :D

but of course, personal playing style and personal goals i think is the biggest definer.. but now i better be quiet and stop posting coz i really dont know that much about such things :D
Last edited by Royale Ranch on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Royale Ranch wrote:As with any form of 'sale', advertising works... a horse, no matter if it is either a rare breed or a competition friendly make, will likely go much sooner, and for a higher price if it is advertised on the forum rather than just being put up on the market.

personal opinion of course, but another factor that influences my personal buying options is the buy now/offers solution. most of the time, i avoid the offers only sales because of sheer convenience. if im looking for a horse, i want it right at the time when im looking for it, not a week later. :D

but of course, personal playing style and personal goals i think is the biggest definer.. but now i better be quiet and stop posting coz i really dont know that much about such things :D
I agree with this and do just what you do as well, searching for horses that start at 1 dollar and up, it skips all of the offers only sales, unless I'm looking for something a bit more specific that I can wait on.
hikko49
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by hikko49 »

thanks for the tips you all.
Sadly, I already apply a big part of them (no "offers only sales", posting on the forum mainly). With my roommate, we are trying to create a "brand" with the "An Avel" affix to be more visible. as for finding my niche, I guess that's were the problem lies. I'm focusing on true to type koniks and welshies but none of these breeds seem to be "in fashion" . I'm in the top Welsh breeders with 3 horses in the welsh cob top 5 and my studs are having success but it's true that I try to sell only mares whom I've used at least once as broodmares. regarding my other focus (koniks), I'm not reaching the highest hgp for the breed yet so I guess that it's normal that I'm having trouble selling (but I'm a bit jealous when I see barbarossa selling a Konik stud for 50 k, I just hope I'll get there and that the breed will gain popularity). To counter that, I started breeding a few high HGP racing akhal tekke as they seem to be selling much better.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

hikko49 wrote:thanks for the tips you all.
Sadly, I already apply a big part of them (no "offers only sales", posting on the forum mainly). With my roommate, we are trying to create a "brand" with the "An Avel" affix to be more visible. as for finding my niche, I guess that's were the problem lies. I'm focusing on true to type koniks and welshies but none of these breeds seem to be "in fashion" . I'm in the top Welsh breeders with 3 horses in the welsh cob top 5 and my studs are having success but it's true that I try to sell only mares whom I've used at least once as broodmares. regarding my other focus (koniks), I'm not reaching the highest hgp for the breed yet so I guess that it's normal that I'm having trouble selling (but I'm a bit jealous when I see barbarossa selling a Konik stud for 50 k, I just hope I'll get there and that the breed will gain popularity). To counter that, I started breeding a few high HGP racing akhal tekke as they seem to be selling much better.
There are a few of us who like the Koniks, I think, I'm nearing the 60K mark.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 8:51 am

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:51 am