Community Forum

How many foals until you can call it Homozygous?

Icedangel11
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

How many foals until you can call it Homozygous?

Post by Icedangel11 »

Since there currently aren't any genetic tests implemented yet sometimes we can only really test things like homozygousy through breeding.

For example my stallion Top Shelf He's Smokey cream, for sure, so I know he's homozygous cream, that much is easy, but out of his 17 (a few more, I rehomed some..) foals, none of them are chestnuts. Only blacks and bays. I thought he had a cremello daughter at one point, but she perlino'd out with a little time.

Does anyone else have the mild emotional stress on calling an untested horse Homozyguos for something? For me I'd hate be at like, thirty foals, and say 'YEP! He's homozygous!' and then the next person gets a palomino.
SeinaMacabre
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: How many foals until you can call it Homozygous?

Post by SeinaMacabre »

I have emotianal stress either way that there aren't genetic tests yet. With my poor knowledge of genetics I have hard enough time to identify basic dilutes yet alone doubles T.T
Its more like trial-and-error for me atm DX
Totina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

If you only bred him to chestnut mares it would eventually show whether he is homozygous for black or not, unless you're really unlucky. I had two black horses (one mare and one stallion) when the game opened and thought I should breed them, it took me like four times before I got a black foal out of them (the first 3 were all chestnuts). So it shouldn't take that much of an effort if you make sure the mares' genes are not interrupting your tests in any way.
DragonFly
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by DragonFly »

I am in the same boat with my black Arabian stallion. He seems to be homozygous black as there are no chestnut foals yet (32 foals so far) but who ever knows without testing??? <-- Yes to the "emotional stress".
Icedangel11
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Icedangel11 »

Lets see, I bred him to my chestnut shetland 3 times, rehoming twice, and three other chestnut mares have foaled already. He as just bred to two more today.

Would 0/6 from chessies be decent? When the other two foal it could be out of 0/8.
Totina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

With 6 tries it's most likely that you can draw conclusions from that. The more tries the more accurate evaluation you can make so this far it seems most likely that he is homozygous black.
Icedangel11
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Icedangel11 »

Hopefully. I'd really hate for that one angry message to arrive from the one person who got a palomino when they were hoping for a buckskin.
Rose
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Rose »

It would be safe to call him a 'probable homozygous'. Without breeding tests being available, I wouldn't worry too much about people sending angry messages- breeding to a stallion is always at your own risk, and I don't think anyone would mind missing the genetic boat once or twice, when they choose to take the risk of breeding to a stud they don't own.

PS: I own a Top Shelf daughter... A silver brownskin! http://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/527 Isn't she pretty? *brags* Haha, thank you for putting him up for stud ^^
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

5 foals out of chestnut mares would be enough for me to call him homozygous, or 11 foals out of confirmed heterozygous mares. That's the number of foals it would take to say homozygous with 95% certainty.
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
Icedangel11
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Icedangel11 »

I always love seeing his foals! ^^ I actually go through and check them out fairly frequently.

Three more foals out of chessies came, no palominos. All 21 of his foals are bay or black based, which is really promising. He's also thrown 4 Baladi foals now. ^^ So that's really exciting.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 2:21 am

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:21 am