Community Forum

Confused

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

Confused

Post by CarouselCowgirl »

I bred 2 WAB rejects (in other words Half North African Barbs) together, thinking there might be a possibility of getting a WAB, since the foal would be 50% NAB, 25% Arabian, 25% Forest Horse.

I got a North African Barb... http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/14385

Could this cross produce a WAB? Also, why is she a North African Barb? I thought they needed a very high percentage of a breed to become 'pure' again. She is only 50%, right?
Nikh
Visit My Farm

Re: Confused

Post by Nikh »

If you are trying to create a new breed you have to breed the exact crosses as the breed "recepe" is stating. For example if you want a wab you have to breed (Nab xArabian )x (nab x forest horse). However,( Half Arbian x nab ) x Part FH x NAB) will work if they match the evaluation for the new breed. So Hafs and parts ar workin in the crosses but you have to have all the breeds in the cross.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

no, it would not produce a WAB. That she came out as a NAB is a known bug.
Nikolaevna
Visit My Farm

Post by Nikolaevna »

Raise your hand if you love Algebra! *has evil flashbacks*

How about a recipe analogy if that helps? (by confusing you more)

A cake requires Milk and eggs. Or we're making scrambled eggs. Whatever. The recipe wants milk. You have whole milk, 2%, 1%, skim. You don't have enough of any of them for the recipe. Add enough whole milk to skim milk the skim milk becomes whole (fat) milk again. It's still milk though right? Combined with the eggs even skim milk by itself will make the cake, or the scrambled eggs, or whatever. As long as the carton says "Milk" on the label (and milk is actually in there) and you're not worried about the fat or the taste you're good to go :)

Now if the milk carton is empty and someone put cranberry juice in there, the recipe isn't going to work. You'll still create something technically edible...but...for scrambled eggs no....cake...maybe? It's not what you expected though. You didn't follow the recipe.

So to bring it back to horses. You created a horse (and not an elephant) so that's good. Just not the horse you expected. Just because somewhere in the lineage was something for the recipe doesn't mean it will come into it by chance. It has to be exact and named on the "carton" as well as IN the carton. Part, half, mixed (whole, 2%, 1%, skim) doesn't matter as long as its a NAB. Find your egg (chicken, duck, turtle lol) that is Arabian for (NAB x Arabian). You need more milk for the next part (NAB X forest) so pour some more. Doesn't matter if it's the carton with the cranberry juice as long as it's mostly milk even if skim. Now get your Forest Horse. We need sugar for the cake. White sugar? Brown sugar (which is just white sugar with molasses so still sugar). Sugar is sugar. A teaspoon of white and a teaspoon of brown as long as you meet the recipe you're good. Combine and bake. Now you have a West African Barb Cake! (what?!). Unless you burned it then I can't help you :P

I have a human ancestry analogy too if that's better. I really should have ate before I wrote this....
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

Argent wrote:no, it would not produce a WAB. That she came out as a NAB is a known bug.
Ok so it IS a bug! Having a NAB foal completely threw me off and made me think I was doing this all wrong.
Nikh wrote:If you are trying to create a new breed you have to breed the exact crosses as the breed "recepe" is stating. For example if you want a wab you have to breed (Nab xArabian )x (nab x forest horse). However,( Half Arbian x nab ) x Part FH x NAB) will work if they match the evaluation for the new breed. So Hafs and parts ar workin in the crosses but you have to have all the breeds in the cross.
So I am still confused here... I realize that just because I cross the right breeds doesn't mean I will get the new breed. Of this I am well aware.

Do I have the recipe incorrect? For a WAB it is 50% NAB, 25% Arabian, and 25% Forest Horse? (which is what my filly is)

... Nikolaevna you completely lost me with that analogy :D
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

No, for WAB it is (NAB-FH) x (NAB-Arab). Percents are irrelevant. Correct crosses are required.
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

Ah, thank you Argent
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 2:34 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:34 am