Community Forum

Stumped on perlino (and variations thereof)

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Chatoyancy
Visit My Farm

Stumped on perlino (and variations thereof)

Post by Chatoyancy »

Stumped again!

So right now I'm trying to figure out the color of this guy (Andras):
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/46439

The sire (Nybru) is a pretty obvious palomino, I think, so single cream on chestnut.

The dam (Lyra) is more complicated. In a previous topic, perlino was suggested, so that would be double cream and bay. Grandsire (Sand) is a wild bay buckskin, granddam (Alexa) is the same as Lyra, so probably also perlino.

But when I take all this into account, I'm a little confused.

* I think Andras is wild bay. However, I thought wild bay was the most dominant agouti gene, so I don't think he could have gotten it from the dam's side since the dam is regular bay. Since Nybru is chestnut-based, I think he could be an agouti carrier from his sire, General Nytro, but General Nytro looks more bay than wild bay to me. Any ideas where I am looking at this incorrectly?

* I think Andras is a perlino, but I'm being thrown by the fact he looks so different from Lyra and Alexa. So...

* * I'm assuming that addition to being perlino, Lyra and Alexa are also flaxen because of the light mane, right? I'm not finding any flaxen in their pedigree, but I think that might be reasonable because flaxen is recessive. However, they do have a history of silver. Is there any chance they are silver plus some other gene that can modify silver to look flaxen, or are they probably just flaxen?

* * Even considering the flaxen, Lyra's and Alexa's base coat shade look very different from Andras'. Is this just individual variation, or is there some other gene affecting the color?

Thanks so much for any help. This is fun. :D
kibam
Visit My Farm

Re: Stumped on perlino (and variations thereof)

Post by kibam »

Flaxen only effects chestnut based horses. So it wouldn't show on a perlino

Andras is definitely perlino.

In my own opinion, it's just that the perlino is being expressed slightly differently.
They (the dam's side) could also maybe be Smokey Cremes and not perlinos. Can't see far enough back in the pedigree to know 100%
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

As far as I can see the light manes and tails on Lyra and Alexa is due to the silver gene. When looking one generation further up it is clear that Alexa's dam Starlight is silver on brown (with one cream gene as well, giving Alexa one cream from each parent making her a double cream on bay with silver).
Chatoyancy
Visit My Farm

Post by Chatoyancy »

Thanks! I'm going to make it a side project to see if I can recreate the looks of Lyra and Alexa by making silver perlinos to try to confirm that. :) Seems likely though since Lyra recently had a foal that looked silver to me.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 2:33 am

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:33 am