Community Forum

Kintara Stud - Gypsies and Comtois

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Kintara
Visit My Farm

Kintara Stud - Gypsies and Comtois

Post by Kintara »

Hello! I am really quite having fun making the various breeds, and have quite a few side projects going on!

My first, and main aim, is to breed Gypsy Cobs/Vanners. I may even down the track when the option is available create my own breed of Gypsy Cob, rather than Vanner, using Welsh Cob rather than Friesian. That's a way away though!

From the start I decided to concentrate on the breeds for a while, rather than showing, mostly because they age up to fast to make training/showing worthwhile. I try to avoid red stats, but realistically if they have the traits to get me closer to the breed I will use them anyway and don't worry too much. Once I have settled down in a few breeds I will more concentrate on quality showing horses.

The older players here before me had already gone the lengthy process of getting to breeds such as Andalusians so I decided to concentrate on the heavy horses and breed back to other peoples light horses when I needed them. I was off to a rolling starting with breeding Exmoors, Friesians, Shires etc, plus a few side projects of Norman Cob/Mongolian/Percheron, and just starting to add some colour and feather into my lines when I realised the data for the Gypsies wasn't in yet. So with most of the breeds already in my stable, plus a love of heavy horse silver bays, I made Comtois my next mission!

Easier said than done, the next breed I needed was the Boulonnais, which although a big heavy horse has a lot of Arab/Barb blood in it making it quite a challange. Although I didn't start the Spanish Barb from scratch, I did have to recreate it a bit so they were the right size/type. I am very pleased to say I now have 3 Boulonnais colts and a filly. I named the colts after the main foundation sires for the breed. This one especially I named after the main foundation sire, his name is apparently in over 14% of todays Boulonnais. He seems a dark flaxen chestnut or silver, either of which works for me. He'll be good for those needing to produce Brentons for Black Forest etc as well

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/65537

So next step hopefully Comtois, might take me a while though! Then of course I'll want silver bay ones..

Here's a list of the breeds I'll be involved with, I will have side projects such as feathered Friesians etc so if I can help anyone out let me know. I post updates if I get anything interesting!

Arabian x North African Barb ] x [ North African Barb x Forest Horse ] = West African Barb
[ Tarpan x Mongolian ] x [ Tarpan x West African Barb ] = Sorraia
West African Barb x Sorraia = Carthusian
[ Sorraia x Carthusian ] x [ Sorraia x West African Barb ] = Andalusian
Forest Horse x [Arabian x Andalusian] = Friesian
Forest Horse x [Belgian x Friesian] = Shire
Przewalski Horse x Tarpan = Exmoor Pony
Exmoor x [Exmoor x Friesian] = Galloway
[Friesian x Shire] x [Galloway x Belgian] = Clydesdale
Galloway x Friesian = Fell Pony
Fell Pony x Clydesdale = Dales Pony
[Clydesdale x Dales] x [Friesian x Shire] = GYPSY COB!

[ Spanish Jennet x West African Barb ] x [ Andalusian x West African Barb ] = Spanish Barb
[ Arabian x Sorraia ] x North African Barb = Spanish Jennet
[ Arabian x North African Barb ] x [ North African Barb x Forest Horse ] = West African Barb
[ Sorraia x Carthusian ] x [ Sorraia x West African Barb ] = Andalusian
West African Barb x Sorraia = Carthusian
[ Tarpan x Mongolian ] x [ Tarpan x West African Barb ] = Sorraia
[ Przewalski Horse x Tarpan ] x Tarpan = Mongolian
[ Tarpan x Belgian ] x [ Forest Horse x Belgian ] = Norman Cob
Forest Horse x Belgian = Ardennais
Norman Cob x [ Forest Horse x Belgian ] = Percheron
Spanish Barb x [ Arabian x Forest Horse ] = Boulonnais
[Norman Cob x Ardennais] x [Percheron x Boulonnais] = COMTOIS!

Oh and just a quick picture of my very own real life Stormy that is my inspiration!

Millwood
Visit My Farm

Re: Kintara Stud - Gypsies and Comtois

Post by Millwood »

We have COMTOIS!! Very excited about that, much easier than breeding the Boulonnais LOL! Got a Comtois on my first try!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 1:21 am

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:21 am