Community Forum

what color is this baby?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
tenshi18
Visit My Farm

what color is this baby?

Post by tenshi18 »

So i just breed this baby and i am not sure what color it is.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2686620
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Re: what color is this baby?

Post by Malakai10 »

tenshi18 wrote:So i just breed this baby and i am not sure what color it is.

Smoky black pearl.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote:
tenshi18 wrote:So i just breed this baby and i am not sure what color it is.

Smoky black pearl.
Can't be smoky black pearl. The dam is an AC horse and can't throw any dilute genes, she simply doesn't have any to throw.

My vote is classic champagne and the sire a classic cream. But the bright color is confusing. The sire, in my opinion is NOT a triple dilute. But there could be either dun or pangare (or both) that is the culprit. However, since pangare doesn't show on black, then that only leaves the possibility that the classic cream sire is phased quite light (which arguably could happen, I suppose) or that dun is involved (which is probably more likely). I don't immediately see any signs of dun in the sire's history, however, with dilutes being introduced, dun could've been as well and tends to hide pretty well when paired with certain dilute phases.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: Smoky black pearl.
Can't be smoky black pearl. The dam is an AC horse and can't throw any dilute genes, she simply doesn't have any to throw.

My vote is classic champagne and the sire a classic cream. But the bright color is confusing. The sire, in my opinion is NOT a triple dilute. But there could be either dun or pangare (or both) that is the culprit. However, since pangare doesn't show on black, then that only leaves the possibility that the classic cream sire is phased quite light (which arguably could happen, I suppose) or that dun is involved (which is probably more likely). I don't immediately see any signs of dun in the sire's history, however, with dilutes being introduced, dun could've been as well and tends to hide pretty well when paired with certain dilute phases.
I must admit, the coat colour just doesn't look champagne to me and there isn't any mottling. I had originally thought smoky cream until I saw the dam.

Then again, the sire's mottling isn't very pronounced either, so you're probably right.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I must admit, the coat colour just doesn't look champagne to me and there isn't any mottling. I had originally thought smoky cream until I saw the dam.

Then again, the sire's mottling isn't very pronounced either, so you're probably right.
The mottling throws me too... rather the missing mottling. But I've had some champagne babies born that didn't express it until much closer to their year birthday. It's really the only option when debating the genes that can be offered by both parents.
So that is what also brought me to the color conclusion.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Malakai10 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I agree with classic champagne.

Freckles won't show up on a newborn unless there's gray involved. As the colt is now (I'm looking at him as a 2-month-old) he is showing the classic signs of champagne - blue eyes slowly darkening to brown and a pale peachy color on the muzzle and around the eye. A double pearl will have bright pink on the muzzle and around the eye rather than peach.

If you look at the following image, foal #3 is the only double pearl that does not also have champagne. The skin is bright pink as compared to the paler colors of the other newborns. Foals 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10 have champagne with varying other dilutions.

The sire in this case is a bit of an odd duck. The exceptional lightness at his current age is mostly caused by Lp - if you look at his 3- and 4-year-old pictures there are snowflakes visible near his spine halfway between shoulder and hip and his mane and tail were dark until varnish lightened them. But still, he was very light even as a youngster. His mother we can tell is Aa because she threw a black-based foal (this one) and since he's not bay we know that he is either brown with a black gene or is himself black. His sire unfortunately does not have a lot of pictures. Looking in the gallery his 3-year-old photo makes it look possible that he's brown but it is difficult to say for sure with so much going on. Ultimately, though, using my own experience as a guide, I believe that this oddly light horse is a Sable Cream Roan - brown + champagne + 1x cream + roan. The brown base + roan explains the extreme lightness of the coat even as a youngster, especially with the possible addition of pangare as pangare can "creep" on a brown coat where it wouldn't affect black.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Well... That would still make the sire unusual, but it makes much more sense. I missed the snowflakes and still have difficulty seeing them. I would've overlooked them, I think, every time.

Good Eyes! :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Silverine wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: I must admit, the coat colour just doesn't look champagne to me and there isn't any mottling. I had originally thought smoky cream until I saw the dam.

Freckles won't show up on a newborn unless there's gray involved. As the colt is now (I'm looking at him as a 2-month-old) he is showing the classic signs of champagne - blue eyes slowly darkening to brown and a pale peachy color on the muzzle and around the eye. A double pearl will have bright pink on the muzzle and around the eye rather than peach.

If you look at the following image, foal #3 is the only double pearl that does not also have champagne. The skin is bright pink as compared to the paler colors of the other newborns. Foals 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10 have champagne with varying other dilutions.

The sire in this case is a bit of an odd duck. The exceptional lightness at his current age is mostly caused by Lp - if you look at his 3- and 4-year-old pictures there are snowflakes visible near his spine halfway between shoulder and hip and his mane and tail were dark until varnish lightened them. But still, he was very light even as a youngster. His mother we can tell is Aa because she threw a black-based foal (this one) and since he's not bay we know that he is either brown with a black gene or is himself black. His sire unfortunately does not have a lot of pictures. Looking in the gallery his 3-year-old photo makes it look possible that he's brown but it is difficult to say for sure with so much going on. Ultimately, though, using my own experience as a guide, I believe that this oddly light horse is a Sable Cream Roan - brown + champagne + 1x cream + roan. The brown base + roan explains the extreme lightness of the coat even as a youngster, especially with the possible addition of pangare as pangare can "creep" on a brown coat where it wouldn't affect black.
Thanks for the explanation - I think I might need to brush up a bit on my cream and champagne knowledge :lol:
Freckles won't show up on a newborn unless there's gray involved
:lol: I feel a bit embarrassed now - I've been working with champagne for however many years and I've never noticed :oops: :lol:
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Malakai10 wrote:
Freckles won't show up on a newborn unless there's gray involved
:lol: I feel a bit embarrassed now - I've been working with champagne for however many years and I've never noticed :oops: :lol:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's one of those things that's hard to notice even when you're staring right at it. :lol: I only realized it when I had a foal that confounded me and I was convinced he wasn't because of the no freckles at birth. Then I looked at him as a yearling and BAM, there they were. :D
tenshi18
Visit My Farm

Post by tenshi18 »

Silverine wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: I must admit, the coat colour just doesn't look champagne to me and there isn't any mottling. I had originally thought smoky cream until I saw the dam.

Thank you i wasnt sure not use to playing a game where i cant see the genes lol. so am i to geuss that this baby https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2686646 is also a classic champagne?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 4:59 am

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:59 am