Community Forum

Trying to figure out the colour of these three horses.

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Twisted_Briar
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Trying to figure out the colour of these three horses.

Post by Twisted_Briar »

I'm not quite sure how to do the coding so that it shows the pictures of these horses, but I'll give the links to their profiles.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3650483
Arab mare, born black-coloured. Now appears to be some kind of a metallic-y silver colour (with appaloosa spots).

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3645319
Thoroughbred mare with black-coloured sire, and dam who appears to be heavily fleabitten, and also grey. The horse I've linked was also born black-coloured, but had evident grey around the face. I've had her classified as 'greying black' for a while, but am not too sure if that's still what her coat-colouring should be referred to as now.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3518518
Lastly, this Shetland.

If anyone would be able to help, that'd be great! :D I've tried researching this, but to no avail could come up with a clear answer for any of these three.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Trying to figure out the colour of these three horses.

Post by EclipticEnd »

Twisted_Briar wrote:I'm not quite sure how to do the coding so that it shows the pictures of these horses, but I'll give the links to their profiles.

If anyone would be able to help, that'd be great! :D I've tried researching this, but to no avail could come up with a clear answer for any of these three.
I've got you!

To post the horse's current image, the coding is the following:
[horse=#######][/horse]
Where the ####### are the seven numbers at the end of the horse's link.

As for colors, here's what I've got for you.

I'm pretty sure Sun-kissed Drumbeat is a Varnish Grulla Dun Blanket. There's a variety of ways to write this based on preference. Varnish refers to the cloudy white roaning on the horse's body; you don't necessarily have to write that part down, I just prefer to. Grulla Dun is also known as Grullo Dun or Black Dun; it's Black with the Dun gene. Blanket refers to the spot pattern the horse has; she has a Blanket rather than a Snowcap. She also has 2x Tiger Eyes, hence the bright eye color. So: Varnish Grulla/Grullo/Black Dun Blanket depending on how you prefer to say it.

Demetria is Grey (Black). This is a Black horse who has the Grey gene, which predictably turns them Grey with age. She also has 2x Tiger Eyes which is why her eyes are bright in color. This can be written as Greying Black, Grey (Black), or even simply Grey. You already have her color written down.

Marigold Prize is a Sooty Buckskin Tobiano. That's Cream on Bay with the Sooty gene (that's what's caused the body color change from gold to brown) and Tobiano.
Twisted_Briar
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Trying to figure out the colour of these three horses.

Post by Twisted_Briar »

Thanks a million!! People like you help me learn more about horse coat colourings! : D

Thanks so much for the bit about coding, too! I had a feeling it was the last numbers of the profile, but wanted to be sure.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 12:02 am

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:02 am