Community Forum

What colors are my horses?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Boshambo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

What colors are my horses?

Post by Boshambo »

I have a few anglo-arabians that are interesting colors and I know nothing about genetics so...
Ice Phoenix

Spence

My Bucking Bonnet

Dandy Cinder
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: What colors are my horses?

Post by EclipticEnd »

Boshambo wrote:I have a few anglo-arabians that are interesting colors and I know nothing about genetics so...
Ice Phoenix

Spence

My Bucking Bonnet

Dandy Cinder
Ice Phoenix is a Gold Champagne, genetics: ee/Aa/tN/Chn
She doesn't have any black genes (E) and neither do the parents, so I can't be certain about bay genes (A+/A/At/a). The sire looks like he has one normal bay gene (Aa), so I'm guessing at most he passed that down and the dam passed none. She also showcases minimal tobiano on the front legs (the socks) which I didn't note down.

Spence is a Gold Cream, genetics: ee/Aa/Crn/tN/Chn
Again, no black genes but his dam has them, so we know there could be some agouti (bay) passed from her. I'm going to assume Aa again for that as it's not clear if the sire has bay genes as well. It's possible he also has some hidden silver genes from her. Silver doesn't show up if there's no black present, so you won't know until he's bred with some black-present horses. He also has tobiano legs.

My Bucking Bonnet is a Gold Champagne, genetics: ee/Aa/tN/Chn
No black genes, but I can guess on agouti based on the guesses made to both parents. At most he'll have one gene (Aa) but it's also likely he has none (aa). I'll guess Aa as it's better to assume it's a possibility than discount it. He might be mealy/pangare from Dandy Cinder, but if so then it's rather subtle.

Dandy Cinder is a Mealy Chestnut, genetics: ee/aa/tt/Pp
Neither parent has agouti, so she doesn't either. She is mealy, also called pangare. That's the light tones around the nose, stomach, and legs. As it doesn't show up on black horses and both parents are black, I'll assume only one gene (Pp) rather than two (PP). She has two tiger eye genes (tt) which is why her eyes are bright. One gene will have the same effect on champagne horses, but as she's not champagne she must have two genes. She also has tobiano legs.
Boshambo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: What colors are my horses?

Post by Boshambo »

EclipticEnd wrote:
Boshambo wrote:I have a few anglo-arabians that are interesting colors and I know nothing about genetics so...
Ice Phoenix

Spence

My Bucking Bonnet

Dandy Cinder
Ice Phoenix is a Gold Champagne, genetics: ee/Aa/tN/Chn
She doesn't have any black genes (E) and neither do the parents, so I can't be certain about bay genes (A+/A/At/a). The sire looks like he has one normal bay gene (Aa), so I'm guessing at most he passed that down and the dam passed none. She also showcases minimal tobiano on the front legs (the socks) which I didn't note down.

Spence is a Gold Cream, genetics: ee/Aa/Crn/tN/Chn
Again, no black genes but his dam has them, so we know there could be some agouti (bay) passed from her. I'm going to assume Aa again for that as it's not clear if the sire has bay genes as well. It's possible he also has some hidden silver genes from her. Silver doesn't show up if there's no black present, so you won't know until he's bred with some black-present horses. He also has tobiano legs.

My Bucking Bonnet is a Gold Champagne, genetics: ee/Aa/tN/Chn
No black genes, but I can guess on agouti based on the guesses made to both parents. At most he'll have one gene (Aa) but it's also likely he has none (aa). I'll guess Aa as it's better to assume it's a possibility than discount it. He might be mealy/pangare from Dandy Cinder, but if so then it's rather subtle.

Dandy Cinder is a Mealy Chestnut, genetics: ee/aa/tt/Pp
Neither parent has agouti, so she doesn't either. She is mealy, also called pangare. That's the light tones around the nose, stomach, and legs. As it doesn't show up on black horses and both parents are black, I'll assume only one gene (Pp) rather than two (PP). She has two tiger eye genes (tt) which is why her eyes are bright. One gene will have the same effect on champagne horses, but as she's not champagne she must have two genes. She also has tobiano legs.
Thank you so much!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue May 21, 2024 3:27 pm

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 3:27 pm