Community Forum

Clarification on Bronzing/Varnishing

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Clarification on Bronzing/Varnishing

Post by Weaving »

I don't claim to be a colour expert, quite the opposite in fact! However I do enjoy a pretty horse from time to time, which has led me to breed some recently whose colour I have little or no idea on... So could someone correct me when I go wrong.

Varnishing: Looks like roaning? Effects any colour?
Bronzing: Effects black based colours only (so this could effect brown or bay horses too?)

Is this guy an example of bronzing? Maslo

Is this one an example of varnishing? Tebeshir
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Clarification on Bronzing/Varnishing

Post by Argent II »

Both are varnish.

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Argent II wrote:Both are varnish.
Thanks for clarification. Is the varnish also what causes the grey colouration in the mane of Maslo and am I correct with the way I described varnish and bronzing before the pictures? Just good to know if I'm getting things right or wrong.
gator vocals
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by gator vocals »

hey! offering my two cents here if you don't mind.

I agree with argent that neither are bronzed and just varnish roan,
appaloosa bronzing, as far as I know, lightens black based coats to an almost chestnut/bay color, so I don't think it affects the chestnut gene

what I do think it does is dilute black points and a fully black coat to neither red neither black but a bronzed color. so for example here's a real life bronze bay, see how the points on the muzzle and legs aren't black but almost chestnut? another real life one I found is this bronze bay, his black points are brown and lighten to bronze down at his pasterns. as for black horses I can't be certain but I think their entire coat dilutes to bronze and lightens the soft spots even further? if I see any in the sales or farms on HWO that resemble these pictures I'll drop them by you c:

Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

gator vocals wrote:hey! offering my two cents here if you don't mind.

I agree with argent that neither are bronzed and just varnish roan,
appaloosa bronzing, as far as I know, lightens black based coats to an almost chestnut/bay color, so I don't think it affects the chestnut gene

what I do think it does is dilute black points and a fully black coat to neither red neither black but a bronzed color. so for example here's a real life bronze bay, see how the points on the muzzle and legs aren't black but almost chestnut? another real life one I found is this bronze bay, his black points are brown and lighten to bronze down at his pasterns. as for black horses I can't be certain but I think their entire coat dilutes to bronze and lightens the soft spots even further? if I see any in the sales or farms on HWO that resemble these pictures I'll drop them by you c:

That's brilliant, I think I get it! Thank you ever so much, and if you do find any please do let me know, I think it would clarify even more for me :)

Thanks again!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 23, 2024 7:21 am

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:21 am