Community Forum

How do you run your stud

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Zodiac
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

How do you run your stud

Post by Zodiac »

Im struggling a little with how many horses I have and keeping them to an acceptable limit (Yep not happening :D)

Does anybody run theirs like a proper Real Life stud? As in lots of mares and only a few choice stallions? Im currently cutting down my stallys as some of them just arent worth breeding, or theyre 15 years + and havent been bred, so they probably wont.
Sod o you keep everything you breed? Do you only have a couple of stallions and a choice of mares? Do you only have one or two mares and you use the stud page for breeding?
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: How do you run your stud

Post by Argent II »

I rehome 90% of what I breed. Literally. 36 foals per year, and maybe 4 of those will make it to being yearlings. I rehome nearly every colt. It has to be as good as a stallion I already have for me to even look at it, and better for me to keep it. And if a better colt comes along the next year, the earlier colt gets rehomed. I can't imagine keeping every horse I bred. I don't know why you would. And nothing up for stud is worth breeding to, for my program, so use only my own horses.

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
Zodiac
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Zodiac »

Cheers!! Im doing the same just now, but theres a few that slip by. Its a lucky day if a few good colts get through and im still cutting down stallions just now and fillies with undesirable properties... Cant stand Varnish honestly, love colour and spots but varnish is a no-no!
Alaina
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Alaina »

I breed purely for competition. Between two years I get 42-48 foals and the fillies I send to my other account where I train them up to 20% or so in the stats for my discipline and then I run them all in a trial show. The filly that scores the highest in each family gets kept (so 7 or 8 total) and the rest are rehomed. The colts I hand select and they must be better quality than the studs I currently keep.

Specializing in Kaimanawa

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 22, 2024 6:14 pm

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:14 pm