Community Forum

Odd greying almost?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Winona Ryder
Visit My Farm

Odd greying almost?

Post by Winona Ryder »

• So this guy has me stumped. Hes 20+ years old and hes only gotten darker on the bottom portion of him as hes aged? Saved are pictures of him as a 3yo and then him now

odd greying?
HallOfFame 2
Visit My Farm

Re: Odd greying almost?

Post by HallOfFame 2 »

Winona Ryder wrote:
  • So this guy has me stumped. Hes 20+ years old and hes only gotten darker on the bottom portion of him as hes aged? Saved are pictures of him as a 3yo and then him now

odd greying?
From the little knowledge I know about this, it is happening because he has Varnishing Genes (from his Dam's side) which cause the horse to "grey out" and "darken" in a way. In the many horses classified as "Varnish" they usually start getting little Snowflakes either on their face, neck, or rump and sometimes their mane and tail will turn to a silvery color, which indicate Varnishing. He also probably carries some sort of Leopard (Lp) gene as well because of the Spotted Snowcap. I would classify the horse's coloring as Silver Buckskin Spotted Snowcap Varnish. But I could be wrong.

~ HOF 2

I have also linked another horse who contains the Lp and Varnish genes below, his current photo isn't up to date, but if you click on his picture it will bring you his profile where you can see his coat:
Saltwater Vixen

I would classify him as being Bay Spotted Blanket Varnish. (But that's my guess, the horses is really on here for reference to show how Varnishing works)
Winona Ryder
Visit My Farm

Post by Winona Ryder »

alright thank you! I've had others varnish out as most of my lines are heavily lp/patn influenced, ive just never had them varnish dark like he has before. Thank you so much!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

HallOfFame 2 wrote:
Winona Ryder wrote:...
HallOfFame is correct. What's happening to your horse is from the varnish gene and is directly related to Lp.

As a side note, the unusual appearance of the dark underside is appearing because of the combination of the varnish gene and most likely sooty.

Varnish does offer some rather unique expressions to appear, some in conjunction with other genes and some not. It doesn't appear your horse was affected by pangare, so I would conclude that it's a varnish and sooty combination and not a varnish and pangare or just a varnish.

However, it could also be straight varnish.
:D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Winona Ryder
Visit My Farm

Post by Winona Ryder »

Awesome! Thank you both so much!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:45 pm