Community Forum

Pearl or Not?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
HallOfFame 2
Visit My Farm

Pearl or Not?

Post by HallOfFame 2 »

So confused. Does this colt carry Pearl genes or not? He is much darker than his sister who is in the same paddock as him right now.

Any help is appreciated!
~ HOF 2
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Pearl or Not?

Post by BlackOak2 »

HallOfFame 2 wrote:So confused. Does this colt carry Pearl genes or not? He is much darker than his sister who is in the same paddock as him right now.

Any help is appreciated!
~ HOF 2
Most likely double cream and not cream and pearl.

Although his great-grandsire is a double pearl, there isn't too large a chance for it to pass on. There isn't any crossover testing to pearls since that great-grandsire so there's no proof that the pearl was passed on through that direct offspring to the next offspring.

The only way to know for certain if either him or his sister is a cream and pearl is to cross them over into double pearls and see if or when they throw a double pearl. Until they do, then it's most likely that they're both double cream.

Thus, this is the frustrations of double creams. :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
HallOfFame 2
Visit My Farm

Post by HallOfFame 2 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
HallOfFame 2 wrote:So confused. Does this colt carry Pearl genes or not? He is much darker than his sister who is in the same paddock as him right now.

Any help is appreciated!
~ HOF 2

Although his great-grandsire is a double pearl, there isn't too large a chance for it to pass on. There isn't any crossover testing to pearls since that great-grandsire so there's no proof that the pearl was passed on through that direct offspring to the next offspring.

The only way to know for certain if either him or his sister is a cream and pearl is to cross them over into double pearls and see if or when they throw a double pearl. Until they do, then it's most likely that they're both double cream.

Okay thank you! I get confused with pearls and creams.

~ HOF 2
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

HallOfFame 2 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

~ HOF 2
You're in good company. I have to resort to looking over my own notes on the color genes, not just cream or pearl, to keep me straight. :lol:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
HallOfFame 2
Visit My Farm

Post by HallOfFame 2 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
HallOfFame 2 wrote:

~ HOF 2
You're in good company. I have to resort to looking over my own notes on the color genes, not just cream or pearl, to keep me straight. :lol:
:lol: :lol: , I will probably cross them together for a breeding and see what they throw.

~ HOF 2
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

HallOfFame 2 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
:lol: :lol: , I will probably cross them together for a breeding and see what they throw.

~ HOF 2
If they happen to chance upon a double pearl foal, then you know they both have to be carriers. It has happened in the past. Good Luck! :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
HallOfFame 2
Visit My Farm

Post by HallOfFame 2 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
HallOfFame 2 wrote:

~ HOF 2
If they happen to chance upon a double pearl foal, then you know they both have to be carriers. It has happened in the past. Good Luck! :mrgreen:

Thank you! Also thought I should update you on my Bashkir! He's doing phenomenal!

~ HOF 2
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

HallOfFame 2 wrote:

Thank you! Also thought I should update you on my Bashkir! He's doing phenomenal!

~ HOF 2
Holy Smokin! You ain't kidding!

Very nice!
Quite gorgeous! :lol:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 pm